Nintendo Lets Rip with Kid Icarus: Uprising Multiplayer Info

Posted by James Newton

New video inside

Kid Icarus: Uprising got the lion's share of attention during today's Nintendo Direct broadcasts, with the game's online multiplayer the subject of much discussion.

The video below shows most of them in action but if you're more of a reading person — which, as you're on a gaming website, we imagine you might be — there's official descriptions of the multiplayer modes.

Kid Icarus: Uprising is out on 23rd March.

Multiple Multiplayer Modes Revealed in Kid Icarus: Uprising Game for Nintendo 3DS

22nd February 2012: Nintendo has revealed new details on the different multiplayer modes in Kid Icarus: Uprising, which will launch exclusively for the Nintendo 3DS in Europe on March 23rd. More than 25 years after the launch of the original Kid Icarus game for NES, Kid Icarus: Uprising brings the action and adventure of this beloved series to new heights. Modes and features in the new game include:

· Light vs. Dark: Team up with other players in Light vs. Dark multiplayer mode, in which two teams of three are pitted against one another. The ultimate goal is to empty the opposing team’s health meter, which transforms the last defeated team member into an angel. The team who defeats the opposing team’s angel wins. This unique multiplayer mode tests players’ ability to work as a team while keeping the match exciting as the focus constantly shifts from dealing out damage to protecting the team angel.

Free-for-All: In this mode, up to six players (including CPU players) combat each other in a winner-takes-all match. Winners are determined by high score, heavily influenced by both the number of kills and the number of deaths.

Match Set-up: Both Light vs. Dark and Free-for-All multiplayer modes are playable through local wireless play or online for players with broadband Internet access. CPU players will fill out the roster if there are fewer than six players in a match. Duration of the match, CPU difficulty, weapons and team handicaps are all customizable prior to beginning a multiplayer battle.

Weapons and Weapon Fusion: The wide variety of weapons a player has collected in single-player mode can be used during multiplayer matches. Players can also earn additional weapons as rewards in multiplayer play. Players can choose set combinations of weapons and powers before entering into a match. This provides further incentive for players to continue collecting different and more powerful weapons as they play through the single-player campaign. Players can also fuse weapons together at the Arms Altar. Fusing two weapons will result in a single, more powerful weapon that retains some of the key benefits of each, giving players the ability to customize weapons to match their play style. Fused weapons can also be used in multiplayer matches.

StreetPass™: Through the StreetPass functionality of the Nintendo 3DS hardware, players have the ability to share one of their weapons with other Kid Icarus: Uprising owners. The selected weapon is turned into a Weapon Gem. Shared Weapon Gems can be converted into real weapons by paying Hearts. Players can also fuse Weapon Gems together by paying Hearts to create a more powerful Weapon.

Luigifan141

Luigifan141 said:

All of this seems very intresting. I can't wait to play this!

Also, what exactly is going on with the AR cards? I still don't get what's going on with that...

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

I have doubts about my ability to play this game - all I see is flashing lights 0.o

AbuJaffer

AbuJaffer said:

@Luigifan141 It's like a trading card game (such as Yu-Gioh or Pokemon), using AR. It's apparently a lot simpler though (preset attacks and all) but it's still really neat nonetheless.

This has been my most anticipated game since E3 last year. Can't wait!

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

This looks really REALLY intense. I'm afraid I won't be able to compete in something so fast-paced :(

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

This game looks way to multiplayer based. Every trailer feels like it's more about the multiplayer aspect rather than singleplayer.

I'm starting to get very doubtful about the quality of this titles singpleplayer aspect.

Ashflow

Ashflow said:

This looks awesome! (Pre-ordered a week or two ago :D)
The video points out that your team's life gauge goes down when you're defeated based on how powerful your weapon is... seems like another layer of depth strategy-wise. You can use powerful weapons for easy kills or use weaker weapons so you can take more risks.
Also, don't know if this was already confirmed (it probably was and I just missed it), but I'm glad that there's local multiplayer :)

Smitherenez

Smitherenez said:

I like the Smash bros. reverence when you fall of the stage in the multiplayer! Might just get it because of that :D

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

Oh man, this looks awesome. I tried a friends DS FPS and thought the controls where a little awkward, so would that mean this would be awkward as well?

Joshers744

Joshers744 said:

Where can you preorder this to get the 3DS Classic Kid Icarus download code?? (I know I worded that wrong)

siconlol

siconlol said:

:D best part of nintendo direct imo it looks kinda hard getting used to but hopefully team multiplayer wont be like ssbb (doing all the work while your team members are picking their belly buttons) but other than that I'm really excited ^_^

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

I love this, I haven't seen any new good multiplayer ideas in a long time, and this is great with all the weapons and tricks.

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

@uel: "Match Set-up: Both Light vs. Dark and Free-for-All multiplayer modes are playable through local wireless play or online for players with broadband Internet access."

mega

mega said:

now im wondering if you can do the multiplayer mode but in one player?

abINC4L

abINC4L said:

@19Robb92
Only a few trailers have highlighted the multiplayer, for the most part, the single player campaign has been highlighted in nearly every trailer and shows an intense high action game.

piojito_O

piojito_O said:

Multiplayer looks great! I might just buy this on day 1anyway.
(still doesn't haves a 3ds ;__;)

Joshers744

Joshers744 said:

Well, just ran up on the hill here to Gamestop to preorder...I figured they would be doing the Bonus of getting the original downloaded when you pick up the game, and I was right thank goodness, after jogging up that hill and now coming back to the office all sweaty. :p

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

An incentive to collect weapons during the adventure mode for the mulitplayer mode really makes you feel like going to get the best weapons you can get to have the advantage in multiplayers. It seems like they put a lot of thought into this, and they should've. This game will have so much content that I can easily see myself playing it for years.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

The multi-player definitely doesn't look as interesting as the single player but it still looks fun. I also noticed how similar the special effects when you fall off the stage look to smash bros.

mushroomer

mushroomer said:

I think Im gonna get this game. I played the NES version when i was a kid along side Zelda 2 etc.. Metroid , Mario etc.. and I can still hum the tunes in that awesome game.. I hope they pay homage to that version somehow.. cause so far, this game is totally different..

For example, one of the biggest things that NES did that I never saw in any other game of that time was the last level changed game engines. From up down scroller to a side scrolling shooting game that was very distinguishing quality.. And Icarus' sprite doubled in size..

Fang

Fang said:

It's Metroid Prime Hunters all over again. I'm definitely buying this.

Jamouse

Jamouse said:

The narrator from this video sounds like some shifty thug from a dark back alley.

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

And my hype meter spikes once again! This is the game gonna in my 3DS for a quite a while for sure!

Drewroxsox

Drewroxsox said:

Am I the only one who thought that the video was kinda stupid with the voice explaining what's going on? I'm still going to get it though...

bonesy91

bonesy91 said:

Finally a VS Multiplayer I'm actually excited for! This game is probably gonna jump to the top of my favorite games of all time lists.

And I agree, the music is awesome.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

I'll have to give this a rental. I'm not going to list the multiple issues that I see in this video, but there are a few things in here that have me quite concerned about this type of multiplayer gameplay.

Looking forward to giving it a go though. :)

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

What happened to my precious Kid Icarus? This isn't the KI i grew up with! :p Multiplayer doesn't exactly interest me, hopefully Single player pulls out the grimmis goolay and hits the right radical notes! Hopefullly Nintendo will release a true 2D KI sequal on the 3DS later on, or just 'something' that's simular to the originals gameplay structure.

Tallion

Tallion said:

@19Robb92 I don't think you should be too worried. The multiplayer is just one half of the game. The single player experience looks to be just a rich, if not more.

peachy-zelda

peachy-zelda said:

this looks pretty cool, seems a little intense but i'm good at brawl. hope that helps o__e and, i bet this is gonna be better playing with my friends then mario kart7 :p

HappyHappy

HappyHappy said:

Still not interested in this game, this just looks like a Devil May Cry game for kids.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

Which are you a fan of, @Retro_on_theGo? The original Beyblade with Tyson and Dragoon, or Metal Fusion? I personally was a Beyblade Engine Gear Fan with Ray and Driger as my favorite characters/beyblades

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

@41 - Dude, it's not for kids. Didn't you see the rating? Comic Mischief, Fantasy Violence AND Mild Suggestive Themes! This game'll make Manhunt look like Sesame Street...

/sarcasm

Seriously though, a game for everyone doesn't automatically classify as a 'kids' game, but hey, you're entitled to your opinion.

@11 - Yeah, I caught that reference too! Maybe the next Smash Bros. will have Power Stone-esque combat...

Samholy

Samholy said:

i like what is coming.
didnt know it was smash bros creator behind this. Sakurai never deceived me with his games, and all of them lasted for years.
altough i dont think i will play as much as a smash brother title, im quite eager to get this one.

and that stand will prove to be useful for Colors! application (or art academy games too)

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

I wonder if Pit will say "I'm done for" when he gets knocked off the edge. Props to those who get the reference. ;)

ShapedAdventure

ShapedAdventure said:

I'm picking up a 3DS Now Seeing KH Dream Drop Distance Whooooooooooo KH And Kid Icarus Uprising Its Helped Me Decide Over The Vita But if uncharted gets multiplayer it could be a different story maybe because i wanna try a new product and all ive every owned was a nintendo device