Horizon Riders to Shoot Up NA WiiWare on 6th October

Posted by Zach Kaplan

Sabarasa's rail shooter gets a release date

It's been over a year since we've heard anything about WiiWare rail shooter Horizon Riders, but we've just uncovered a North American date of 6th October via its official page on Nintendo.com.

You can learn more about the game, which earlier was confirmed to support the Balance Board and Wii Zapper peripherals, and reminds us of titles like REZ and Sin & Punishment, by watching the trailer below.

[via nintendo.com]

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

I'm surprised to see this releasing before Protocol. Ah well, I'm looking forward to learning more about both.

Shadowflash

Shadowflash said:

Looks cool, but I don't have the zapper or balance board, so I might have to pass :( ...

Xkhaoz

Xkhaoz said:

Cool. If only we could get more news about Protocol. That looked really good.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

@7 Protocol is Sarabasa's WiiWare multiplayer sci-fi FPS (with no campaign/story). There's a thread about it near the top of the WiiWare forum.

Finally! It's about time WiiWare got another good action game.

Now we need release dates for Protocol, Descent, and Retro City Rampage.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Wii Zapper + Wii balance Board for $8? Sign me up. Hope this gets a good review.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

@8
I'm a little concerned on the status of Descent due some financial rut I hear Interplay's going through. Hopefully MDK2 did well enough for them.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

@10 Yeah, but there are some encouraging signs about Interplay's finances when you look at their website, including a "coming soon" sticker for WiiWare Descent.

TikiTong

TikiTong said:

Man I wish it was 500 points,so then I could buy MotoHeroz and this with one card

accc

accc said:

Looks like it might be worth checking out! I hope it runs at 60 fps like Sin & Punishment 2; a fast paced bullet hell shooter like this really needs a smooth framerate to be enjoyable.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Wow looks awesome, might get pretty intense though so I hope the balance board is optional as my foot work my not be able to cut it in the later levels, but we'll see.

Popyman

Popyman said:

I don't remember it looking nearly this cool the last time I saw it! Might have to buy it.

JimLad

JimLad said:

I'd love to try this, but I don't have a balance board or Zapper. (had the Zapper, sold it)
If stuff like this had been coming out back when the peripherals were new I might have thought differently about them, and so would other people.

Ren

Ren said:

yeah, this looks kinda interesting, but late. Why wasn't Nintendo themselves pushing the balance board with stuff like this? I don't get exactly what the zapper does that's different than just holding the remote and nunchuck. Can it be used one handed or something? It just looks like a plastic shell to me.

SuperLink

SuperLink said:

Hey, whatever happened to that game that was supposed to come out on WiiWare: Protocol

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

@21 Yes, the Zapper is just a shell with a different button placement. Anything you would play with the Zapper can also be played without it. It's completely optional.

ChibiJib

ChibiJib said:

does it have a first person mode? it will be like you are the person riding the board (balance board) shooting things (zapper)... THAT WILL BE AWESOME!!!

kma029

kma029 said:

IMPORTANT: You DON'T need the balance board NOR the zapper to play. The game just supports them, but its not mandatory.
It runs smooth and without any framerate drop, so rest assured, it is worth your time and money.

DrDaisy

DrDaisy said:

Looks exciting. Unfortunately, a bad HDTV can pretty much kill the gameplay in rail shooters like this. I hate Sony.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

From the screenshots i got the impression that this one might end up abysmal. But the trailer looks like it could turn out very good so i'm keeping this one on my radar.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

More S&P style action, with Wii Zapper and Balance Board support, yes please.