Fresh Dragon Quest X Screenshots and Trailer Inside

Posted by James Newton

Square Enix's announcement of Dragon Quest X certainly ignited discussion among Nintendo fans: the news it will strongly rely on online multiplayer split players, but considering the popularity of multiplayer in Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies it should be at least worth a look.

Now the publisher has released a fresh set of screenshots and a high resolution trailer showing the upcoming Wii and Wii U adventure in action, with ogres, King Slimes, menus and lots and lots of text. Yep, it's Dragon Quest all right.

You're probably already watching the trailer. It's good.

[via dqx.jp]

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I really hope that the graphics displayed in this trailer are an indication of how this game will look on the Wii U. If it is then it is extremely impressive. This game looks incredible! I can't wait to play it!:)

Kirk

Kirk said:

I'm not impressed with the graphics in this game at all. The art style in the pre-rendered cut scenes looks worse than the in-game graphics in Ni no Kuni*, I think Level 5 just knows how to do the whole cell-shading style better to be honest, and the in-game graphics don't really look any better than the last-gen PS2 Dragon Quest VIII game (see the circles for shadows in the supposedly current-gen Wii game for example).

I just don't think it's good enough but I guess this has become par-for-the-course on Wii at this point.

*http://uk.ign.com/videos/2011/09/14/ni-no-kuni-gameplay-trailer?objectid=14284017

Jamouse

Jamouse said:

Dragon Quest is for kiddies, Final Fantasy is for real gamers!
...
You know, the thing I hate about forums is that it is hard to show sarcasm.

NX01Trekkie1992

NX01Trekkie1992 said:

wow, those graphics are amazing.... like 3d living anime glory... I may just have to get this even though I haven't played DQ before, maybe it's time to start looking into it...

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

@LordJumpMad
The WiiU version is gonna have updated graphics and some extra features. Though they've said that you can buy the Wii version now and play it in the mean time and trade it in later to buy the WiiU version if you want. Cause you'll be able to continue exactly where you left off in the Wii version on the WiiU version.

ElReminator

ElReminator said:

That train looked too much like the starflight express... Maybe we'll have some kind of Stella cameo?

Anyway, looks nice, but I need to see how the combat will be handled before I invest in a Wii or Wii-U only for that game!

Expa0

Expa0 said:

Dragon Quest = Overrated
Online Play = Crap

Dragon Quest + Online = Overrated crap.

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

We demand online games for Wii one second, and we rage at a game with a dedicated online experience the next. And then we ask why a publisher's not listening to the fans. A splendid farce! :)

zionich

zionich said:

Is it bad all I want to do is hug the baddies????

Looking good, make it worth the fee please and ill get it.

Spoony

Spoony said:

So what about that sequel to IX? I was bummed when I got a "to be continued" at the end, and now X doesn't appear to be that sequel...

AVahne

AVahne said:

I guess I'll have to wait for the Wii U version to come out, I was just robbed...again. Now no Wii and no Wii games =_=

X-145

X-145 said:

Wow...that is very intreuging...
I'm starting to like this game a little more now...
Well, I was going to get it anyway (unless if the subscription fee is carried over to the 'States) but now I'm actually getting excited about it!

ElReminator

ElReminator said:

@spoony :

The "to be continued" only means that some of the post game downloadable quests continue the story. Some of them are actually quite cool!

Wolfenstein83

Wolfenstein83 said:

I think the game looks amazing, but I am a little biased anyways since I have always had a soft spot for the Dragon Quest series.
I think that cgi movie footage might be what the Wii U version could look like.
Did I mention the game looks amazing, yeah it does, can't wait!
Of course I would rather have a more traditional offline experience, as the only games I enjoy playing online are racing games.

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

For me personally, Dragon Quest is the most depressing series of games I've ever played...

I LOVE the series' art style, I LOVE the music, and I LOVE the stories...

...But I just SUCK at traditional JRPGS! I can't play them! There's just too much monotonous grinding for my tastes (which is why I dislike Zelda II and prefer...well, the other Zeldas!).

Oh well, I still hope fans of the series get a kick out of Dragon Quest X.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

I'm sort of in the same boat as Kage_88 up there... it all looks cool, but I know I'll probably never play it. Still, it seems like something fans of the series (especially in Japan) will eat up. Hopin' it tastes good.

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

Hmmm, well it looks great but I wouldn't want to pay to keep playing, hopefully you can go single player or the online has a free option where it's just you and your friends

Ichabod

Ichabod said:

I'm just soooo excited that the series has returned to a home console. The DS is cool, but if given the choice, I'd rather play it on my big TV than ruin my neck craning over a handheld screen. I've been a big fan of the series since Dragon Warrior. The game isn't going to compete well against others for newcomers, but it's a love and passion for us lifers. ;)

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@Kage_88

Just so you know, Dragon Quest is among the few modern series that actually requires grinding. Don't be afraid of playing other Turn-based games, most are actually quite easy, once you get the hang of it.

Retrogamer88

Retrogamer88 said:

i think SE must have been waiting to do a DQ game as a MMORPG for such along time because its so obvious,on the other hand it being a online game isnt really necessary but its an interesting idea to explore none the less,i am excited to see how it turns out,and i think i will wait to play it on the wii U

N17r0

N17r0 said:

Woot finally an online Dragon quest game this game looks awesome already.

N17r0

N17r0 said:

The only thing I hate about dragon quest is that you get randomly attacked by monsters I want to see the monster so I can avoid them. DQ9 was a bit of relief because I could see the monsters but in most dragon quest games you use holy water and nothing happens.