Solatorobo Dev Would Like to Work on Mega Man Legends 3

Posted by Zach Kaplan

A glimmer of hope?

CyberConnect2, the developer behind the acclaimed Solatorobo: Red the Hunter, is currently collaborating with Capcom on Asura's Wrath for PlayStation 3 and XBOX 360, but what would CEO and President Hiroshi Matsuyama like to work on next? When posed the question recently, his answer was none other than the freshly cancelled fan-driven Mega Man Legends 3.

It would be Mega Man Legends 3. I really like the series!

Though the odds may stand against the project's resurrection under new development, the fact that the head of a respected company that's already working with Capcom is interested might prove great news. At the very least, it's good to hear a notable voice speak in favour of the franchise.

Make sure to read our Solatorobo review to find out why the game's taking such a direction would look very promising indeed.

What do you think about this development?

[via siliconera.com]

Related Games

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

It would be great if Capcom would let them pick the game up, but I don't think it will happen any time soon.

Shinjix2

Shinjix2 said:

That would be amazing. Com'on Capcom, it doesn't get any easier than this!!!!!

Zach

Zach said:

If development costs rather than publishing losses are Capcom's worry then this could be very interesting...

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I'm not going to get my hopes up but it would be fantastic news if they could pull this off.

sykotek

sykotek said:

So the truth finally comes out... Mega Man Legends 3 cancelled by Capcom because of CyberConnect2, got get em! /jokestigating

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

I want to work on Mega Man Legends 3 as well, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen.

JeanLuc_Vaycard

JeanLuc_Vaycard said:

This doesn't sound like much of a glimmer of hope even. Just because he expressed interest doesn't mean anything is going to happen nor that its being worked on. Tired of hearing about it really as its just a reminder of the slap in the face Capcom delivered.

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

Well that's a nice thing for Solatoboro to do for us. If Capcom accepts, (Which is highly doubtful), then I will be happy.

mikemustbebored

mikemustbebored said:

I recall receiving a copy of mega man legends for my playstation & the game honestly wasn't all that good. I'd rather see the original series continue (mega man 11!)

pikku

pikku said:

Yeah, well I would like to work on Halo Wii 2, but that's never gonna happen.

Teh-Ray

Teh-Ray said:

1-Capcom accepts.

2-Fans rejoice.

3-Capcom cancels acceptance.

4-????

5-PROFIT!!

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

While I doubt it would ever happen, I can see this working out. Let's see if Capcom does anything about this...

Peznaze

Peznaze said:

It is interesting... on the live stream they basically said they haven't the resources to make games like Legends 3 - fan loved but not so profitable - so maybe they'll let someone else make the game.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

It would be great, but I don't see Capcom backing out of their cancellation announcement.

And I would rather have Megaman X9 before Megaman 11.

Link79

Link79 said:

When a game is cancelled doesn't that mean there's no going back?
I mean... When you're dead that's it right?
Anyways it's looking like Mega man 9 and 10 was Capcom's way of saying goodbye to our blue hero.
The next time we all hear any news about a new Mega man game we'll all scoff and say.... Yeah right.

Nickno

Nickno said:

Ya and I want to say something random and pointless and expect people to laugh at it, but that's never gonna happen.

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

The original MML3 probably would have sucked anyway. Now if these new guys that actually care about the series made it....

ArmoredGoomba

ArmoredGoomba said:

The game already has a development team...that really loves the game. Not sure how this would change anything. Capcom doesn't care about us or the game.

kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000 said:

god bless them, Solatarabo would be mine if I had more money, but this would likely change nothing. It's Capcom themselves that don't want it made. And I would still trust the current team more personally but that's just me.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

No, I don't think this is new hope, because i think with Inafune gone, Crapcom is completely finished with making anything to do with Mega Man. Exclusion of the Blue Bomber from UMvC3 is evidence of this. You'll hear nothing else from Crapcom from here on out about MM, because they're done with him. This couldn't be any clearer, without an official announcement that they'd never give, for fear of angering fans. Mega Man is done, except for rereleases of old games on VC, etc.

Crapcom would rather do 1001 Resident Evil remakes.

These are just the sad facts. Not sure if it's retribution against Inafune or disinterest in continuing the Mega Man franchise (or both).

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

@28. BetelgeuseWC77

I don't even think they're even going to re-release old games on the VC anymore. The last VC release was before MML3 got cancelled. Notice how the European VC STILL lacks Mega Man 5 AND Mega Man X while America got them both before the cancellation? Also, the Game Boy version of Mega Man 1 is STILL only on Japan's eShop.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

I am starting to wonder if Inafune's leaving *is the real reasoning behind this. It very well could be profit issues, too, or mainly. Maybe Caps doesn't wanna take MM any further, since it was Inafune's "baby", & maybe they're doing it, out of respect maybe? Not ruin Inafune's most famous series/franchise? Or not...

If any 2cd/3rd party studio can do a good job, I'm all for it ~ that studio taking over the project.

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

@Clinker: That GB game was released after the MM mess started. They have nothing to lose by re-releasing old games

Vinsanity

Vinsanity said:

I definitely would support a CyberConnect 2 developed Mega Man HD console game. They are a great developer. Passionate, talented, with a grasp of all current hardware from the DS to the PS3. And you look at their portfolio - Asura's Wrath, Naruto Ultimate Ninja, .Hack, Tail Concerto - and they definitely have the chops to make a killer, proper, big budget, well produced Mega Man title. One that would have a great RPG base and intuitive action that looked insane. And still somehow be stylized and charming.

I am definitely all for this idea. Capcom clearly doesn't want to work on a Mega Man title in-house. Let CC2 give it a shot!

Issun

Issun said:

DOOOOO EEEET !!!!!!
Yeah, Cyberconnect 2 does magic, so let them get MML3 and I'll freakin' buy it ! Oh and Capcom : Let them make Strelka Stories (they need a publisher in order to kick-start the project)!

Henmii

Henmii said:

It would be great if the project would be resurrected, but I don't think it will happen.

Azikira

Azikira said:

The minds behind Solatorobo working on Mega Man Legends 3?

...SIGN ME UP!! :D

Vinsanity

Vinsanity said:

i would personally LOVE for CyberConnect 2 to champion the Mega Man series at this point. Those guys are one of the best developers in Japan right now. Their Naruto Ultimate games, visually, are world class - I have literally seen no cel shader (in games OR tv and movies) look as good as the one they use in those HD games. Also the action is intuitive, easy to pick up and insanely epic. Also, Asura's Wrath.

They are masters of current tech; from the DS to PS3. And their RPGs - both the Tail Concerto/Solatorobo series (which is, tonally, similar to Mega Man Legends), and the creative .hack// series - are pretty great.

So they have a great grasp of tech. They have experience making gorgeous, insane action games. And also charming, endearing RPGs. And, their CEO at least, is passionate about Mega Man? Oh yeah, I support this - I support the SH*T out of this! XD

Capcom, let CyberConnect 2 have their shot at a Mega Man game. Clearly, you guys don't know WHAT TO DO with him...