Mario and Sonic 2012 Screens Blow Minds, Collapse Worlds

Posted by James Newton

Can a hedgehog ride a horse?

Though many are still processing the raw emotions that comes with such an alliance, Mario and Sonic are friends now: Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games and its summery counterpart Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games showed the plumber and hedgehog could put aside their differences for the sake of sporty minigames and making everyone lots of money. With approximately 438 days until the London 2012 Olympic Games kick off, SEGA has revealed the first screenshots and details of the upcoming Mario and Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games, which may induce WTFing.

From Sonic — a hedgehog, remember — riding a horse to Mario flying a giant discus around Sonic Adventure's Windy Valley stage, the game looks set to combine the usual 'serious' athletic disciplines with the Dream Events that bring both series' more outrageous elements to the table. The Dream Long Jump is a perfect example, where Sonic, Tails, Mario, Bowser and more leap through a Yoshi's Story-esque world, bouncing on clouds to see who can get the furthest. It's the closest we're likely to get to a New Super Mario Bros. Wii-style adventure starring the plumber's blue rival.

The 3DS version boasts some equally odd events, including the Race Walk, where players must not harness Sonic's legendary speed. The mind boggles.

Official Nintendo Magazine UK has more details.

[via officialnintendomagazine.co.uk]

Related Games

Supervada

Supervada said:

More Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games? What next?! Mario and Sonic at NASCAR Games?! ( Old idea I had lol) :p

djosh444

djosh444 said:

lol, i can see many faliures on the race walk event with everyone shouting at their 3ds screens for sonic to 'use his legendary speed'
:D

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I got bored of the first one very quickly. I'd rather they made a mario & sonic platformer crossover.

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

I admit it. My mind is genuinely blown. Gargantu-WIN? Maybe, we'll see. It makes sense since Sega has really been trying lately to make Sonic good.

sc100

sc100 said:

As somebody who lived through (and was a big Nintendo fan) during The Great 16-bit War I still can't wrap my head around Mario and Sonic in the same game, let alone bring myself to buy it. I think I'm still suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder ;)

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Actually Epic Yarn came to my mind, lol. But yeah...WTF? xD
Never did play those games though.

Neo_Yor

Neo_Yor said:

Was seeing the images at the link and saw a 3DS event which you have to SPIN the STICK... mario party and broken sticks comes to mind =/

pepsilover2008

pepsilover2008 said:

still kinda wish that nintendo would make it instead of sega, because nintendo seems to have a better track record with games, but so far its looking good :)

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

... And my Mario and Sonic in one platform game dream bubble is busted... again...

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

They need to make a Mario & Sonic crossover platformer, not another stupid olympic game.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I love Yoshi's Story, so this is cool! That only leaves the question of what other locales they'll be going to. I was already interested when I saw that there will be horse races too.

RYBlast

RYBlast said:

I was gonna say it looks like Epic Yarn, but then I noticed from the comments that it's from Yoshi's Story. Looks pretty good.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Ah, Yoshi's story! Cool!
....But I probably still don't buy it anyway!

Kurachi

Kurachi said:

looks funny
i'd like to see SSBB's adventure mode in a whole new game, so you gotta do a whole story instead of a weird one with the goal to unlock stuff :p

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Seeing how you all didn't post the screenshot with Mario riding the horse, here it is.

Untitled

I want to see Bowser ride a horse!

Ronald0wnzu

Ronald0wnzu said:

No more!!!!!! Please Sega, if you're going to make a game starring the two biggest mascots of all time, at least make it appealing to the fans (not this kiddy shovelware minigame garbage the Wii is famous for).

Seeing Windy Valley in the screenshots just makes me want to play a new Sonic Adventure. =(

fishman100

fishman100 said:

The graphics look nice but do you think the screen looks kinda messy? (like there are too many things on the screen?)

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

NintyFan wrote:

That Screenshot looks strange enough on its own and the article of Official Nintendo Magazine mentioned on the NL article mentionsh an even stranger scenario.
Yoshi riding a horse will look even more unusual.
Now just imagine Mario riding Yoshi riding a horse. ;)

JimLad

JimLad said:

Yeah that looked like it was going to be a crossover platformer of sorts,
then I was like "auwwww"

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Already pre-ordered the wii version. Of the 75 or so Wii games I've played, the Mario and Sonic series comes into my top 12-15. No pap.

I need a revw for the 3ds version as the ONM hands on playtest said the events had been reduced from the midi-game format to the mini-game format - but they only played a handful of the 50 events on the 3DS.

Its been four years since the last olympics and two years since the winter olympics - what's wrong with a Mario and Sonic Olympics game to coincide with the games. The Winter games iteration scored a 9/10 for the Wii version from the reliable NL reviewers as well and I would personally rate the first one as 9/10. Also, my folks bought the ds versions of both games for my oldest son and that was a hoot as much as the Wii versions were.

Think people need to cut this UNDERRATED series a bit of slack and just have some fun. :-)

P.S. - It looks like it won't use wiimotionplus infortunately AND the horse riding event is actually controls quite well (Even though it seems wierd him riding a horse - who thought a plumber video game character would wear the funky almost fertish like power up suits that Mario has over the years - lol)

Gameday

Gameday said:

hmm never even thought of this combo on a plat-former.. still idk how i feel about this one

Samholy

Samholy said:

weeeelll....
at least it got me curious how this game will be.
but dont count on me to pre-order or buy at launch.

Vinsanity

Vinsanity said:

I'm happy to see this. Though I would prefer a full-on New Super Mario/Sonic 4 style sidescroller now that they put the idea in my head.

MetalMario

MetalMario said:

^ Who does Mario think he is with that horse? Link?

But hey this game is looking a lot better than the others. :-D

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

LOL the screenshot looks like they simply dumped some Sonic chararacters into New Super Mario Brothers Wii coop.