Japanese Virtual Console list - March 2011

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

It's that time of the month again

Japan has a relatively big month coming up for them, with five new Virtual Console games on the release list. On top of that, there's not a bad game in the bunch, with every single one of them being a well-liked classic. Let's hope we get some of them as well!

The full list for March in Japan is as follows:

Famicom:

• Hebereke (The first game in the Hebereke series, of which Europe got three games altogether. Of course, we know this one as Ufouria.)

Super Famicom:

• Fire Fighting (A fire fighting game for the SNES in which you make your way through several burning buildings attempting to rescue survivors. It was retitled The Ignition Factor in the west, and already has an OFLC rating, so a VC release elsewhere should be imminent. Japan will get it next Tuesday, March 1st.)
  • Final Fantasy VI (Possibly the single most-requested Virtual Console release, this stands together with part VII as one of the most well-liked entries in the series. Of course, it was released in North America as Final Fantasy III, so we expect a release here in the near future.)

Neo Geo:

• Last Resort (A horizontal shoot 'em up which is often overlooked amidst all of the system's fighting games, but it's still quite good and was also released outside Japan originally.)

Virtual Console Arcade:

• Puyo Puyo (The original arcade version of Puyo Puyo is being released to mark the franchise's 20th anniversary. As Sega stated earlier this month, this version will receive a very special feature in the form of online multiplayer.)

Which of these would you like to see elsewhere first? Are you happy with Final Fantasy VI, or are you just glad that Square can now potentially get to releasing some more Enix games?

[via nintendo.co.jp]

Related Games

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

Wow, how did I miss that news? That's awesome!

zezhyrule

zezhyrule said:

You mean right when I start up FFIII on my SNES they release it in Japan? Hmm...

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

OMG Final Fantasy VI :O
This is The Best RPG EVER!

I played FF6 for the first time this year, and love it.
It truly a must buy Classic!

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

Considering Final Fantasy is much bigger in Japan, this doesn't surprise me at all

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Ufouria
Last Resort!
Puyo Puyo with online support!

Final Fantasy 6!

My Gawd they'll have a good month!:O

Objection

Objection said:

**FFVI!!!** And I also want Puyo Pop!
It would be super special fudge borwnie awesome if we received those in March as well. :)

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Yes Final Fantasy VI is coming, now all we need left are Chrono Trigger, Lufia 1 & 2, Secret of Evermore, Dragon Quest 1-4, and the Soul Blazer trilogy.

Neko_Rukiafan

Neko_Rukiafan said:

Yayyyyy Final Fantasy VI :)

Wow The last time I played that one was when I was starting high School I love you Squeenix :)

Nintendo64Dude

Nintendo64Dude said:

Nintendo of America NEVER gives us good names right now...

Last year they uploaded THREE of their games last year...

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

I'm surprised it took Japan so long to get Ufouria/Hebereke. I hope the SNES Hebereke puzzle game comes to the VC in all regions as well, but we'll probably be on the Wii's sucessor before that happens.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Meh. I've got 3 versions of Final Fantasy VI. Me wants FF II and FF III for NES, and FF V for Super NES (even if untranslated, I'll learn Japanese)! Although God forbid the battery on my SNES FF III cartridge dies, it'll be nice to have it available on VC!

Punny

Punny said:

I'm so happy for Japan! I hope we get Final Fantasy VI and the online Puyo Puyo game! :)

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I would rather have V first translated.

Not going to happen. Too much work even though an official translation already exists for later ports. If we ever get it, its likely to be a straight port of the GBA game as a WiiWare title.

Link79

Link79 said:

Yeah Final Fantasy VI is on it's way! I was wondering if they'd ever release that one. I assumed they would some day. I just can't get into the newer games in the series. The 2-D classic style just has more charm and appeal to me.

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

Last Resort is fun and decent, but oh so difficult; but not Magician Lord-difficult, thank goodness!

The latter, one thousand times the latter!

Final Fantasy III/VI is a good game (I played the Game Boy Advance version), but I got to a moment in the game (quite far, too) where I was very unprepared and ill-equipped and couldn't get any further because I was dangerously low on health restorative items and very low on health so I had to start the game over again

Azaris

Azaris said:

Good news for japan but knowing se will be waiting months for the na release.

Lordy

Lordy said:

I already own FF6 on every other console possible, but I'd still probably buy it on VC anyway. Lets hope Square keeps releasing more on the VC before the Wii dies!

Pastry

Pastry said:

If FFVI doesn't come out in America soon, I'm just gonna buy it for the Playstation... (I think it comes with either 5 or 7).

Neko_Rukiafan

Neko_Rukiafan said:

Final Fantasy Anthology for the PSone & it has FFV/FFVI you can get it at ebays subsidiary www.half.com for about $15 like new condition after shipping it'll be just under $20 :)

the_randomizer

the_randomizer said:

Final Fantasy VI? Wow. Hell really DID freeze over! What happened, did someone bribe the CEO of Square Enix? I'm thinking someone bribed Satoru Iwata as well. Now if only someone would bribe Reggie Fils-Aime, there will be much rejoicing. The PSX port sucked, by the way; heavily compressed sound effects, long loading times and cheesy FMVs. At least it didn't suffer the horrible fate of Final Fantasy V's Engrish.

TTGlider

TTGlider said:

Totally, completely awesome update! Can't wait for some of these to make way to the North American store. Yay!

BL_Donth

BL_Donth said:

Never played FFVI so uh sue me but I'll probably get it whenever it hits the west.

vio

vio said:

OMG. I just watched some gameplay footage of Last Resort on YouTube and I just about sh%! a brick. That is one supremely shooter. They either release that one on the NA VC or I'm rioting.

Link79

Link79 said:

@ Vio
That does look like an extremely cool game. Who says the VC is washed up? Doesn't look like it to me. This year is already off to a good start.

chris3116

chris3116 said:

Kefka is back! The best FF antagonist. Sephiroth is nothing compared to Kefka.

I'm going to get FF3/6 if it's coming. Now, Square-Enix, bring Chrono Trigger.

weirdproq

weirdproq said:

I'm looking forward to Final Fantasy VI and Puyo Puyo. I already have Last Resort on my SNK arcade classics vol. 1 game.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@Rukiafan123

Don't you have to put up with load times then? And the translation of FFV is pretty sloppy. The GBA versions may be pricey, but they are the definitive versions of those games.

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

We'll most likely see Final Fantasy VI(III over here) make it over to the American Virtual Console by the end of the year. Since Final Fantasy and Final fantasy IV(II) made it over here, I see no reason for VI to remain in Japan.

Now that Square Enix has finished with the Final Fantasy games on the VC, maybe they can start bringing the Dragon Quest games to the Virtual Console.

7th_lutz

7th_lutz said:

I do see Final Fantasy 6 making it to the vc for NA. It was a very good rpg that caused Phantasy Star 4 being unfairly overlooked and underrated in scores back in the day from magazines like Game Informer. Game Informer gave Phantasy Star 4 an average score of 7.25 and Final Fantasy 6 an average score of 9.5.

I think the Dragon Quest games will be starting to be released soon. I really don't view them as big deal for me since I own the Nes copies of the first 4 besides Gameboy Color versions of the first 3 Dragon Quest games and the DS version of Dragon Quest 4.

I just hope after the FF series is over that Terranigma gets released on the vc.

That_Guy_from_Faxana

That_Guy_from_Faxana said:

Gasp, this is just awesome games! I already own FFIV, but it may be the best game ever. I will buy Last Resort if it comes here. Still waiting for Waku Waku 7, though. Fire Fighters (as it´s called in the west) is a cult classic, nice to see it on VC. And online Puyo puyo... cool stuff.