There's a Limit on Transferring Software from One 3DS to Another

Posted by Zach Kaplan

Your games are going places... just not too many places

While we've known about the ability to transfer DSiWare to the 3DS for a while now and learned today about transferring software between devices (DSiWare, 3DSWare and Virtual Handheld), we've just found out that there will be a limit to how many license transfers you can make. From Play.com's product details:

System Transfer which enable users to transfer already purchased software from one Nintendo 3DS system to another. DSiWare purchased for the Nintendo DSi or the Nintendo DSi XL can also be transferred into a Nintendo 3DS system.**

**There is a limit to how many times transfers can be made. Some software may not be transferred

We've yet to learn whether this will limit transfers per game, total transfers per system or transfers within a period of time. Judging from what we've seen of the operating system, it appears that this feature will come after the system's release via an upgrade. How do you feel about this stipulation?

[via play.com]

Axoloth

Axoloth said:

As long as I can transfer stuff into my 3DSi when it gets around, I don't really care.

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

I feel like I would only need to use it once unless I want to steal some DSiWare from my friends, which I don't.

HipsterDashie

HipsterDashie said:

I want to know how this will impact on people looking to trade in. Will I be able to transfer if I trade in my DSi?

armoredghor

armoredghor said:

This probably just means how many times you can transfer a single game so that people can't just feed their DSiware to all their friends who are new to it.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

Ripped straight from the Nintendo 3DS official website.

Not surprising, though. But I doubt it's a huge effect.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

@Silver: Gonna try that, pretty sure they'll say yes...even though I don't have that much I wanna keep anyways...I wanna hold on to some of these Electroplankton games.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

i'll only need to transfer all of mine once, hopefully, but what i'm wondering is whether or not i'll retain all my saved information. losing all of that would suck, lol

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

Seems like they're saying that there's a limit on what 3DS game can be transferred between systems. That makes sense. Because...you know, they have to make money.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

Do the games transfer (i.e. get deleted from the previous system) or are they copied? If the transfer mechanism involves copying, that makes sense. It won't be a problem for me, as long as it's possible to transfer again when the next generation comes out.

It seems sort of crazy that they don't just do things the easy way and create an account system like Sony and Microsoft. Either way, until we learn about what the system transfer process will actually be, it's hard to have an opinion about this either way.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

It´s a good idea to transfer your downloads. I hope the Wii can have this feature to transfer my dl games to the Wii 2 (when comes). And i hope this applies to the memory archives too (like transfer smash bros brawl and wiiware saves).

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

Assuming I can get my Rytmiks on there without rebuying them, I'll be happy. Most everything else I've played enough anyway...or was just awful to begin with (warioware snapped...I'm lookin at you)

slidecage

slidecage said:

I do not see why nintendo does not allow you to transfer games to a new system period...

Call nintendo with your systems UPC code that is broken
Call nintendo with the new systems UPC code

nintendo should allow you to transfer all of those games to the new UPC and block them from working on the old system......

if im spending 20 bucks per month on games that is 240 bucks per year im going to lose when my DSI blows up

sykotek

sykotek said:

I hope it is time based like Xbox 360. I could only see wanting to transfer my games maybe once a year anyways, like when a new version of 3DS comes out. Saves will probably not be available unfortunately, unless they allow SD transfer somehow.

irken004

irken004 said:

My guess: you can transfer all of your DSiware games to the 3DS, but you might lose the save data of the games that have online settings. Kinda like how Wii online data can't be copied or moved. (iirc?)

zezhyrule

zezhyrule said:

So if you transfer all of your ware games from the DSi to the 3DS, there's really no point in having a DSi anymore since the 3DS can do everything that it can do and better right? But... you have to have already bought the 3DS to transfer, so then you have a DSi sitting around with no use. I usually always keep my consoles when I get the successor, with this? Not so sure.

Vinsanity

Vinsanity said:

I'm cool with that. I'm actually happy that Nintendo is going through with this biz. But putting a limit on it is perfectly fair. Giving away copies of this thing to other hardware with no limits is basically a big ol' WELCOME sign to pirates. So this is fair. Just to move software from one system to another should you upgrade. Perfectly fair.

SteveW

SteveW said:

"Nintendo DSi XL can also be transferred into a Nintendo 3DS system"
Sure can't wait to downgrade my DSi XL downloads to a smaller screen...

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

I don't own any dlc, since I don't own a DSi/XL(have a busted hinge/shoulder buttons too, phat since 2004), but anything I d/l onto the 3DS, I want to be able to transfer it to any newer system that I own, that has the capacity to play said content.

Like some here, I'm guessing there will be some kind of limit on transferring online-capable game saves. & every other game save will be transferable via SD card.

An account system would be nice. Although, Nintendo stands to profit more, if they make bizarre, &/or (more) narrow (oriented) limitations on software transfer.

I'm quite interested in the outcome of this.

Victoria

Victoria said:

@SteveW ... I'm with you. I have 17 DSiWare games on my DSi, many of which I'd like to transfer to my new DSi XL. But there's not many I'd want to 'downgrade' to the smaller screen of 3DS.

darklinkinfinite

darklinkinfinite said:

I really don't see this as a problem since every console holder has limits on your downloads in some form or another. Even on the 360 you're only allowed to transfer the license from one console to another once a year.

UNC5052

UNC5052 said:

@Jumbif, even if you couldn't transfer it, you could download it for free and since you can save your flipnotes to an sd card and you have a hatena account, you should be fine.

shinesprite

shinesprite said:

I'm fine with it if:

• Saved data is retained
  • Nintendo support can authorize you for additional transfers in case of hardware issues/failure

For those who are heavy Flipnote Studio users, you can just download it and log in with your user account and load your offline flipnotes from an SD card.

I really hope Nintendo splits up game data. They should have one file for the game itself, one for saved data, and a third, non-move-able one for online profiles.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

I don't really care either. I only play one DSiWare game anyway (Dr. Mario ftw!!)

LunarJade

LunarJade said:

I only have two downloads and I'm not sure if I'll be moving them anyway. I'm planning to keep my XL.

I'm glad for those who will be able to move their stuff over though, and would think that you'd be able to continue to do so when a newer version comes out at well.
I'm thinking the some software might not being able to be transferred could be for those people who try to move 3D software onto the DSi.
Kind of like how you can't take the newer generation of pokemon onto the older games when trading.

As for the limited times thing it makes perfect sense to do it that way, and I'm sure we'll get more details on how it will work by the time it comes out. It's more important that we know it is something that will work though, as I'm sure plenty of people were worried about that when they heard about the new system.

Robo-goose

Robo-goose said:

I accept this news without complaining even if this means you can only transfer once.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

I just hope you can transfer the full wack.

They should've announced the exact details of this transferability at the conference. Yet another disappointment for the EU 3DS conference.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

I won't have much to bring over, lemme see: FlipNote Studio, the MyNotebooks, myPostcards, Mario Calculator, Pinball Pulse, Tetris, the G&W games... Puzzle League Express (maybe), and... that's about it. And what I plan to bring over, I don't plan to take off, put on, take off, etc. I'll either have it forever or I'll delete it and be done with it. Can't wait for more clarity on the limit though...

Junior117

Junior117 said:

I think that the limit is just for transferring the DSiWare games/apps from a Nintendo DSi/DSi XL to a 3DS. Not from 3DS to 3DS. We'll see though.

skywardtrumpet

skywardtrumpet said:

does anybody know how the dsiware transfer to 3ds is going to take place? because I was thinking about selling my dsi to get enough money for this by release day. can you just copy the games to an sd card and copy them to the 3ds, or do you have to like do some system link sort of thing....?

slidecage

slidecage said:

umm why would you need more then 1 transfer per year anyways on any games....

and to skywardtrumpet... I would hold off selling my DSI until the details are firmed.... they might need your number off the DSI system or somethin ike that. or you might even have to take both systems into a store (gamestop locally in the states)

MadScientistMan

MadScientistMan said:

couldn't you put a SD card in a dsi and copy the games onto it then put the SD in the 3ds?

Edit: also perhaps the limit is for each individual game, to stop piracy, so you don't send it to your self, then a freind, then another friend, then another friend, so you don't give it to people who didn't buy the game