Rayman 3D Details Revealed

Posted by Zach Kaplan

Will adapt Dreamcast classic Rayman 2

When Rayman 3D showed up on the ESRB and OFLC websites, speculation ran wild over what form the adventure would take. Ubisoft has just answered that question, revealing that it would adapt the Dreamcast version of the armless wonder's first 3D adventure, Rayman 2. It's expected to ship during the first quarter of this year.

From Ubisoft's press release:

Rayman 3D is an adaptation of Rayman 2 on Dreamcast, the greatest version of all Rayman’s games.

Thanks to Rayman 3D, rediscover the incredible adventures of Rayman in a deeper and optimised universe. Progress in a 3D world full of surprises and magical creatures, and defeat unmerciful enemies throughout dangerous environments: Join Rayman in an even better platforming game!

Key Features:

• Adaptation of the greatest Rayman opus

Rayman 3D is the adaptation of Rayman 2 on Dreamcast which happened to be the best version of the trilogy (93% on Game Rankings).

• Significant improvements on gameplay

This version has beneficiated from a special treatment, offering improved graphics, 3D, and giving players the possibility to take advantage of the analogue stick.

The 3D version makes the game more accessible and brings more advantages: improved learning curve, immersive cameras, graphical enhancements.

• A great diversity of environments

Progress in 45 areas set across 13 regions of Rayman's world. Uncover the whole universe in 3D during +/-15 hours of fun.

• Unique Rayman moves

Run, climb, jump, swim, fly, loop-the-loop and even water-ski to escape from the threat! Rayman did not lose any of his famous abilities such as flying as an helicopter using his hair!

• Rediscover the richness of Rayman’s cast

Get back to the good old quarrels between Rayman and his villainous enemies: Face the Admiral Razorbeard, the Henchman and every other creature that make Rayman’s progression much harder!

Hopefully, Rayman can count on his friends’ support! The Globox, Ly, or Polokus are all ready to help.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Soooooo....a remake?
lol...I'm first...yay. xD

...What's Rayman like anyways? I might look into them...

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One of the best 3D platformers ever created and the best version of it to boot! Bring it on! :D

Lost_Hope

Lost_Hope said:

Oh darn. Not Rayman Origins, then?

Just porting Rayman 2 again?
Isn't it a little redundant with the existence of the DS version?

If this version is of a higher quality then perhaps it justifies a release/purchase.
I just wish the Dreamcast version's soundtrack was as nice as that of the N64 version.

irken004

irken004 said:

Hehe, I was playing the N64 version a few days ago. Great game :D "GLOBOOOX!!!!"

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

Y'know, I never actually played any of the original Rayman games. This will look like a good point to jump into the series.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I'm with 8 on this one. I never have played a Rayman game before besides the Rabbids ones and this would be a nice place to start.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I played one of the Rayman games (don't remember which) way back in the day on a friend's PS1, man it was a fun game, hence I'm sure this'll be awesome too :D

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

The controls on the DS game made it an absolute joke and given how old my Dreamcast is and that this version is my favorite, I think this is the best news I've heard all year. :)

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I never played Rayman 2 before. It does look like a lot of fun. I'll probably pick this one up when it comes out.

Joetherocker

Joetherocker said:

Now I can play it with good controls! (Never played the Dreamcast version, only the DS version)

HeroOfTime007

HeroOfTime007 said:

Geeze, I have almost every version of this game, except the Dreamcast, just a disc with the demo on it. I had the N64 first for $20 without the box and no memory pak. I left the game on for nights and woke up at 7 to continue....
Point is, Ubisoft, I've played Rayman 2 enough already.

Xkhaoz

Xkhaoz said:

Well, I've already got it on my PSP, ah what the heck? I'll get it again.

Boyoshi

Boyoshi said:

I Once Played The Ipod Touch Version Of a Rayman game and didn't really enjoy it although from the looks of things I think i'll have to keep an eye out for this one ;)

XD375

XD375 said:

I hope Nintendo follows up with an update of Super Mario 64 despite that also being on DS.

A version based on the DS version, but with good controls and improved graphics.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

I remember playing a bit of this back on the Dreamcast and I was pretty impressed. But for me, nothing beats the 2D Original.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

Excuuuuuuuuuusee meeeee, Ubisoft.

You re-released this game back in 2004/ early 2005 on the DS.. Now, you're taking it again, and re-re-releasing it on the 3DS?

....Ok. :)

I own the Rayman DS game and, well... It was okay, but it was SOOOO dark and hard to see. And frustrating to play. And this was the first time I played Rayman 2. On the DS. Hope this version isn't muddy. But it's amusing to see them re-re-release this game on the 3DS as they did with the DS. Same cover art, just replace 3D with DS :P

2-D

2-D said:

Someone should tell Ubisoft that some developers occasionally do this thing called 'making new games'. They should totally look into it.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Have you not seen all of the new games they have coming out this year?

Conker3000

Conker3000 said:

Rayman DS for the original DS had awful controls.

I would get Rayman 3D just for being able to use an analogue stick. That alone is worth it.

jackaroo

jackaroo said:

I love Rayman 2 but I am a little disappointed that there just porting it again. I was hoping for a new Rayman but I knew they'd do this. What im most interested by though is the fact that its the dreamcast version. Does this mean we could see some more dreamcast titles on 3DS in the future?
Sonic Adventure 3D or Jet Set Radio 3D anyone?

HanuKwanzMasBif

HanuKwanzMasBif said:

A friend of mine loves this game, so I think I'll get it and see what he's talking about.
That same friend also talks often about Ubisoft's unhealthy obsession with putting every one of their games on every system.

Sonic1994CD

Sonic1994CD said:

You know I was thinking they should make a remake of Rayman 2 on the 3DS and guest what...they did!

aaronluis26

aaronluis26 said:

I'm not sure I like Ubisoft's approach with the 3DS. They seem to want to cash in on the hype of the system. I'm not saying they are going to release a bunch of crap for it, but it doesn't seem like they are releasing the best they can either.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

How many times can they port and repackage Rayman 2? It was a good game sure, but I'm starting to lose track of which consoles haven't had that game ported to it in one form or another.
How about we ditch the Rabbids and make a new 3D Rayman platformer, hey Ubi?

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

I only have the DS version, and have been meaning to get the N64 one, but I don't like all the stupid crap in this game like that Globox guy. Maybe playing a "true" version of this game will change my mind, but so far no other Rayman game beats the original on Ps1 and GBA.

Rensch

Rensch said:

The DS version I have was a crappy port, my laptop's DVD drive hates the PC version somehow and the PSX version I own is a cut-down version of the game with several levels missing.

But still, do you want me to buy that game AGAIN, Ubisoft? How many freaking video game systems had this game as a launch title? It is one of my all-time favourite games, but come on!

I want a NEW platformer UbiSoft.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Now this is great news from UbiSoft. Would have expected something new though but at least a Rayman game with Rayman himself is better than anything with those annoying rabbids.

HappyHappy

HappyHappy said:

From what I heard the DS version sucked because of the controls so I think I'll pick this one up. Even though Rayman 2 is the best game in the series I think Ubisoft makes too many remakes of this game, how about a decent remake of Rayman 1.

zeeroid

zeeroid said:

I briefly played the N64 version of this game, but I've always wanted to experience it in full. Definitely excited now, I'd like to see some actual footage first, but this just jumped up to the top of my most anticipated launch window titles, along with Devil Survivor Overclocked.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

as long as i can still get the secret easter egg that lets me use unlimited ammo on the last boss i'll be fine.

I played this on the n64 and let me tell you, without that easter egg the last boss is impossible (hint hint: fly straight into the ceiling, i think while holding a regular shot)

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Are those the 3DS screens? Because... they don't seem to have touched it from the original version. Like, at all. The 3DS can output way better than that.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Since when is the Dreamcast version the best? The PS2 version added so much great stuff to the game! Remake THAT version if you're going to insist on remaking the game yet again, Ubisoft!