Features: Nintendo Life Reader's Choice Awards 2010

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

The top Wii and DS games of the year, as voted by you

We showed you ours, now it's time for you to show your favorite games of 2010.

The categories may have been limited, but your response wasn't. Here are the Wii (including WiiWare), DS (including DSiWare) and overall Reader Games of the Year.

Reader Wii Game of the Year

Winner: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (26% of vote)

A very close race between the plumber and the ape, but Mario's intergalactic planetary adventure edged out the return of Donkey Kong by a hair. Capcom's Monster Hunter 3 put up a mighty fight but wasn't enough to topple Nintendo's own giants, and Bond snuck into third runner-up like the secret agent he is.

Runners-up: Donkey Kong Country Returns (23%), Monster Hunter 3 (18%), GoldenEye 007 (6%)

Reader DS Game of the Year

Winner: Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Sky (26% of vote)

As it always seems to be for DS, a wealth of RPGs duked it out for the top handheld spot, but Dragon Quest IX sliced, diced and healed it's way to the top. With ludicrous amounts of things to do and collect, we imagine many of you who bought it at launch this summer are still carving your way through. The Pokemon remakes strolled in with pedometer in tow to first runner-up, with Cave Story on DSiWare and Golden Sun: Dark Dawn tying things up at the end.

Runners-up: Pokemon HeartGold & SoulSilver (13%), Cave Story (9%), Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (9%)

Reader Game of the Year

Winner: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (33% of vote)

But there can be only one, and in this case it's the second top spot for Super Mario Galaxy 2. An absolute joy to play, this one resonated enough with you to propel it well ahead of the nearest competitor.

Runners-up: Donkey Kong Country Returns (17%), Monster Hunter 3 (14%), Cave Story (6%)

Kirk

Kirk said:

Those results look reasonable enough.

I'm happy GoldenEye was on there somewhere because it really deserved to be.

Kirby's Epic Yarn really should have been up there too because despite a lot of people thinking it was too easy and/or kiddie it was quite simply one of the most all-round highly polished games on Wii this year and indeed this generation.

Edit: Oh yeah, I just read someone else's post and remembered that Kirby's Epic Yarn isn't out in the UK yet and this is a UK sight, Doh!

Well, hopefully it gets the recognition it deserves when it does release in the UK.

kurtasbestos

kurtasbestos said:

I'm glad to see that Golden Sun [sort of] made this list. I'm also a little sad that we didn't get separate votes for WiiWare and DSiWare games, though... not that I expected my favorites to even be runners up.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Happy that my votes helped Super Mario Galaxy 2 stay on top. I find it strange though that Donkey Kong had a better showing in the Best Wii Game category than the Game of the Year one.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

SMG2 deserves all those rewards; although I wish Pokemon HG/SS won DS Game of the Year, it's the best DS game I've ever played.

Kevin

Kevin said:

SMG2 is so overrated. I haven't touched it since I finished my only run of the game unlike DKCR. Too easy except for Grand Master Galaxy and HeartGold should of won.

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

The fact that Cave Story got so much love is proof of how awesome our readers are :)

ueI

ueI said:

I would have declared pokemon the DS winner and 999 the runner up.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

DQIX is so overrated!!!! Why wasn't Professor Layton even a runner up?!?! >:( SMG2 deserved the to win in the categories that it did. Also, I think that the download servicesshould've got their own seperate categories. I hope they do that at the end this year.

zezhyrule

zezhyrule said:

Again, meh. The most enjoyment I've ever had playing a Wii game was with Monster Hunter Tri, so I'm at least glad to see some people voted for it.

motang

motang said:

Man I really need to put Mario Galaxy 2 disc back in and start playing it.

SkullMan

SkullMan said:

I don't agree with any of this. Galaxy 2 was just more of the same, really Galaxy 1.5

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

I voted for Wii Kirby's Epic Yarn and DS Sonic Colors.

It is nice to see that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won. :)

TheBaconator

TheBaconator said:

Wow. No one voted for Layton. That was my second favorite DS game of the year. Heart Gold was my favorite overall.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

^As am I. Also, not enough people voted for Sin & Punishment 2. This makes me sad.

I voted for S&P2 and SMT: Strange Journey...and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, I think.

argus

argus said:

Seems reasonable. I voted for BIT.TRIP RUNNER for Wii game of the year and Dragon Quest IX for DS/overall game of the year. I'm not interested in SMG2, but I'm excited to try Donkey Kong Country Returns. This was a pretty good year for Nintendo systems.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

Glad to see Goldeneye on the list, as I haven't taken it out of my Wii since release. :)

SuperLink

SuperLink said:

SMG 2 should not have won game of the year.

Good to see that DKCR is the next highest vote percentage. :)

DF2506

DF2506 said:

My favorite Wii game of 2010 was Epic Mickey. From beginning to end, I enjoyed it a lot. Its such a great game! Enjoyed it far more than Mario Galaxy 2 (which was a good game too). Hmm. In fact, I should play it again soon. I also like Donkey Kong Country Returns a lot. I would say it would be my #2 after Epic Mickey.

I totally agree about Dragon Quest 9 being the best DS game though. I still play it after all this time (especially on new quest Friday) and so does another family member. DQ9 is an amazing game. Here's hoping DQ10 will be for the 3DS! :)

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

meh, DKCR was my vote for the Wii and Professor Layton ATUF was my DS choice.

Punny

Punny said:

Why am I not surprised. Even though I voted for Donkey Kong Country Returns for the Best Wii Game and Best Overall Game, I still think Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Dragon Quest IX are worthy of their titles. :)

JonWahlgrenAdmin

JonWahlgren said:

@Mickeymac: To play devil's advocate a little, the only non-Nintendo games here are GoldenEye and Cave Story. The rest were either developed or published by the Big N (in North America, at least).

Yosher

Yosher said:

I'm willing to bet Kirby didn't make the list because it launches in Europe THIS year, causing many to not have been able to try it yet. Including myself.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 surely deserves the spot though! I haven't played Dragon Quest yet, but I'm quite sure that's pretty deserving, too!

pixelman

pixelman said:

Glad MH3 got some attention. I still don't understand the attraction to DQ9, but hey, people say the same for Monster Hunter. :3

Jnes4

Jnes4 said:

Aww... DKCR didn't won anything... :(
well at least it's in second place in wii and overall game of the year so I guess that's good :)

And congrats on Super mario galaxy 2 and DQ9 on winning !

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

I also think WW and DSiWare should have their own categories. I know what i really must pick up now though.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Hmmm, both of the winning games gave me dissapointment, SMG2 being undeserving in its near universal praise (imo) given it lacks the sense of wonder the first one instilled when playing and on top of that the galaxies were far too different & far too many, it felt like just a bunch of ideas thrown together, with a few great galaxies inbetween the "ok" ones, not a seamless story like SMG1. Oh & the [spoiler] green stars second half of the game didn't feel anywhere near as rewarding as running through the second half of SMG1 as Luigi. [/spoiler]. Oh & yes I have played both SMG games to the very end, collecting every star.

As for DQ IX, I was expecting an intense & amazing game, but was given what seemed (imo) a kiddies RPG both in style & play. The enemy characters looked wierd, & the battles were boring but maybe I didn't play it long enough (I gave it 5 or so hours), it was my first DQ game after all so maybe I expected too much. I wanted to like it but couldn't, I'll play it again one day in the future.

Tri4ceHolder

Tri4ceHolder said:

As good as Dragon Quest IX is... Professor Layton and the Unwound Future was the best by far!! It had the best storyline i have ever seen on a video game before, and it's Layton!!! You people made a mistake.

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

Sonic Colors was released everywhere in 2010 after all. How did it not get nominated, I wonder?