Nintendo Turns 121 Years Old Today

Posted by James Newton

That's old

It was on this day in 1889 that a playing card company opened up in Kyoto, Japan, headed up by Fusajiro Yamauchi. Its name was the Nintendo Playing Card Company – catchy, right? – that went on to become one of the world's biggest entertainment companies.

If you want to know more about Nintendo's history, the excellent The History of Nintendo book is available now containing plenty of hidden knowledge.

Happy birthday, Nintendo.

LuWiiGi

LuWiiGi said:

Happy birthday! Lol @ subtitle. So, these guys originally made playing cards?

Robo-goose

Robo-goose said:

They traded their old cards for video games, and made a ton of cash when they sold them.

Kaeobais

Kaeobais said:

Wait, Benzai? Huh, didn't expect him to be in that link. Thank god he wasn't dancing in his underwear, though ...

Roopa132

Roopa132 said:

It's my birthday today, too.
Kinda cool that my birthday is the same as Nintendo's even though back then they didn't make games yet.

Punny

Punny said:

Happy birthday, Nintendo! You haven't aged a bit. You aged a lot! :D

Hokori

Hokori said:

I always celebrate it every year by doing something special... HERES TO ANOTHER 121 YEARS!

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Happy Birthday UrbanYeti for tomorrow!
Happy Birthday Nintendo! Nintendo-4-Life!
@ JumpMad
Man... that is... THE AWESOME! :D

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Funny gif (and kinda scary at the same time)...and now I'm hungry cuz of the cake picture. Well, I've been hungry, but the cake just made it worse. xD

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

I've known they've been around this though but it still astounds me how this is so. 100 years selling cards? I guess you could sustain a business if you also had things like toys to sell. When I first saw they were made 1889 all those years back, at first I thought it was a typo, but I've come to realize that fact. They are one of the longest running businesses with no end in sight!

Rasche

Rasche said:

Wow! How awesome! This is amazing! My good friend's birthday is also today! :D

motang

motang said:

Alright Nintendo since you are finally old enough to drink here in the states I will buy some shots. ;)

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Happy birthday Nintendo! :D Here's to another 121 years & many more Mario, Zelda & Metroid games! :D

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Happy birthday, Nintendo! Thank you for the years of happiness you've filled my life with and I hope the cash my family and I have added to your money pile is extra comfortable. You've earned it! <3<3<3

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

121 years, that's a very long time. Thanks to Nintendo for being in business all these years!