Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the Second Highest Rated Game Ever

Posted by James Newton

Ocarina of Time still number one

It seems the plumber's latest adventure can do no wrong, scoring top marks at many well-respected publications around the world. In fact, it's got so many high scores that reviews aggregator Metacritic places it at second spot in the list of the highest-rated games of all time with a score if 98, level with Grand Theft Auto IV, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 and Soul Calibur II, which starred Link in its GameCube edition.

N64 masterpiece Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time still leads the table with a staggering Metascore of 99, but with more Super Mario Galaxy 2 reviews due in before the game's launch in Europe on June 11th there's a possibility it might sneak up to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with Miyamoto's time-travelling epic.

[via apps.metacritic.com]

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

@turtlelink: Agreed. IGN can eat it. And I wholeheartedly agree with this rating. I was on the cusp of calling Super Mario Galaxy the greatest Mario game of all time... and Super Mario Galaxy 2 may just reach that. I'll have my feelings on it when I've completed it all.

Cia

Cia said:

Shouldn't that be the first Soul Calibur which have 98 on metacritic?

WildMan

WildMan said:

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is awesome! Got it on release date, love every minute of it!

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

wow. and i won't be able to play this until august. dang. still, that's exciting news. what happened to the Wii not being a hardcore console?

moomoo

moomoo said:

Soul Calibar 1 has the 98 score.
Also, I use gamerankings instead. It's more accurate for my tastes.

Kelvin

Kelvin said:

But it's not HD! It doesn't play DVDs! It's not online! Etc, etc.

What a surprise, none of that matters when the game is good enough. Nicely done, Nintendo.

Digiki

Digiki said:

Nice job Soul Calibur!

I wonder how much more substance this has in comparison to the first, I'm guessing not enough.

BobberyFan98

BobberyFan98 said:

I actually didn't get into Ocarina of Time at all. But hey, I think I have already decided, even on my Video Game Bucket List, that I will beat Ocarina of Time someday. But still, I'm glad Super Mario Galaxy beat Grand Theft Auto IV, one of my wishes has come true! :D

Go Nintendo! :D

-BF98 ;)

Kelvin

Kelvin said:

lz2010, I was merely spoofing the usual complaints of the Wii-bashers. No matter how good the game, we usually see the same complaints about the machine's technical weakness. I expect we'll see a similar backlash as more scores for SMG2 come in. It was a joke.

TLOZfreak

TLOZfreak said:

This article is misleading.. it shares a 98 average with 4 other games.. this doesn't make it the second highest rated game though... here's how it really goes:
1. Nintendo 64: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998) 99

Rockstar Games

6. Wii: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010) 98
Nintendo

7. Nintendo 64: Perfect Dark (2000) 97

BobberyFan98

BobberyFan98 said:

You know what I mean, I'm just glad that it is atleast tied with it. I just hate the GTA games 3 through 4 and Rockstar Games period.

-BF98

Dodger

Dodger said:

It looks like a great game but I don't see myself getting it yet. I want to play SM64 and SMG first because I have next to no experience with 3D platformers other then playing Super Mario Sunshine at a friend house. :P

SuperMarioFan96

SuperMarioFan96 said:

@TLOZfreak How do you know that that's the exact order? I've always looked for a thing on Metacritic that lists the OVERALL top games but I've never found it.

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

@SuperMario Fan96: right underneath every NL article is a link to their source, if it's not NL exclusive news. click thaat and it will take you to the page. :)

Klapaucius

Klapaucius said:

Ocarina of Time still number 1 :)
Getting harder to resist buying SMG2 X_X
Also, I should pick up SC2 on GCN at some point in the future.

Caliko

Caliko said:

Screw IGNorant fanboys. They keep saying "its not that great". Yet they havent played it.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Yeah, I noticed this the other day. 'Course, it's tied with, like, 5 other games, albeit deserving ones. Good to see it managed to at least out-do its predecessor.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

For everyone hating on IGN, let it be noted that they gave Galaxy 2 one of its many 10/10 scores, helping it along in its path to number two.

I guess the fanboy knife cuts both ways.

NassaDane

NassaDane said:

I don't see how this could be that good if the first was not very good at all? It doesn't make much sense seeing hardly anything has changed, i'm not saying there hasn't been big changes but still. I guess if you didn't enjoy the First you won't enjoy this one.

SuperMarioFan96

SuperMarioFan96 said:

@bro2dragons Oh thanks. I actually found it shortly after I posted my comment. Just do a Metacritic search without typing anything in and organize it by metascore from highest to lowest.

GamerZack7

GamerZack7 said:

I can't wait for [SOMETIME DURING JULY] to pick this up! But why did NintAust have to screw us over again? Doesn't NOE love us anymore?

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

@TLOZ: No, it's still number two even if there's a tie

Also, it's renowned in all regions and/or has more high ratings than the others

mattex66

mattex66 said:

OoT was blimmin great but SMG2 was JUST better. I think people over-reacted at OoT, it had bad graphics (for the time it was great, but compare to SMG2 it was crap) and the Water temple and other elements were frustrating, not because it was hard.

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

@mattex: Well you can't really change the ratings for OoT just because it would have been bad nowadays. At the time it was a masterpiece and that is what matters

Mik

Mik said:

@Iz2010: Even by today's standards, it'd still rank OoT as number 1 for me. Moreover, on the Metacritic list, many of those games are pre-2006. It just shows the decline in videogaming standards over the past few years. Developers rush to get their game out as soon as they can in order to capitalise on the sudden uptake of videogaming (granted, the Wii has somewhat caused this uptake).

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

There's still time for that percentage to drop, yes? Seeing as Uncharted 2 got at least 25 perfect review scores and is apparently not at least 98% on Metacritic, I'd say early success is no automatic indicator of long-term chart topping. Cool if it does, sure, but I just think it's a bit early to brag about it.

JimLad

JimLad said:

Me thinks this one will get way more publicity now that many more people have Wiis and it's not going head to head with Halo 3.

Klapaucius

Klapaucius said:

@mattex66
You can hardly compare OoT and SMG2 graphically... and its hardly fair to lower OoT's score because its graphics aren't as good as a game made over 10 years later.

Shane_Gill

Shane_Gill said:

It shares a ROUNDED OFF score with a bunch of other games. The actual aggregate score is 97.8 or something. It's not the second highest rated game of all time. It is literally 6th.

Mik

Mik said:

@ShaneGill:

I'm not sure if you know of how Metacritic calculates their scores, but they provide a weighted average. For example, if Nintendolife gave a game 9/10 and IGN gave it 10/10, then its "Metascore" would be 97 or so. Metacritic assigns more established publications with a better weighted average, and I believe IGN currently has the largest weighting. Seen as how IGN (UK, US and AUS) gave Super Mario Galaxy 2 10/10, the weighting of the Metascore will be significantly higher.

Pertaining to your saying that "It is literally 6th": Metacritic ranks games higher if they have more reviews (providing the games in question have the same Metascore). By the time the Australian launch comes, there will be about 80-90 reviews of the game on Metacritic, meaning that it will actually be second on the list (providing it still has the same Metascore of 98).

I hope this provides a clearer view on Metacritic.

Cia

Cia said:

In Game Rankings it has the second spot anyway, at least for now

KrazyKain

KrazyKain said:

what's all these 'screw ign' comments the showered it with praise and gave it a 10

Pj1

Pj1 said:

What did Nintendo Power magazine rate the game? I'm looking forward to it coming to the UK soon...

zionich

zionich said:

What I find funny is the people saying its not fun or sucks, really should just be saying it not there style of game. I genrally hate FPS', doesnt mean I cant still appreciate the game for what it is.

The screw ign is probably about the commenters of IGN, not nessicarly the website.

SuperMarioFan1995

SuperMarioFan1995 said:

I'm gonna be back posting on the review of SMG2 until June 11th. So goodbye for now and take care.

-Nintendogames1000

MERG

MERG said:

@Machu...currently, we on this side of the pond can play them both on the Wii...on your side of the pond you still have a little wait before you can play them both on the Wii. : ))

Cipher

Cipher said:

Based on GameRankings, SMG2 is currently the greatest game of all time, with a score of 97.67% (which is still missing two scores out there, a 98% and a 10/10) to Zelda's 97.57%.

KrazyKain

KrazyKain said:

I might get this after all, i'm not into platformers all that much, but i dont exactly hate them

postmanX3

postmanX3 said:

And I still don't understand why people are/were so in love with Ocarina.

Butttttt maybe Zelda games just aren't my style.

mnementh

mnementh said:

@Machu and @Cipher.. and the best thing on Gamerankings too is that 4 of the 5 best games ever are playable on the Wii: SMG2, Ocarina of Time, SMG and Metroid Prime. 4 of 5. Unbelievable.

Klapaucius

Klapaucius said:

@70
Just the title screen alone makes me feel all nostalgic and warm inside... and that was the first time I played it! :P
I can't understand or explain it either, but OoT is amazing. And even more so because I don't understand why.

Nintenzo

Nintenzo said:

Why do I not see Super Mario 64 up there with a perfect score of 100? HUH? WHY NOT?!