Next Bungie Title May Head to Nintendo Consoles

Posted by James Newton

Famed developers team with Activision to branch out

You won't find the word "Bungie" in very many of our news articles, but the studio's recent agreement with Activision could see that all change.

Leaving the Halo universe behind, the developers are now set to branch out with a new IP set to release for multiple platforms, opening the door for Nintendo fans to experience a Bungie game for the first time.

Although the initial announcement from Activision claimed the studio's next title would be available for "all platforms", Bungie president Harold Ryan said:

I absolutely believe there is a place in the world for the Wii. When you look at platforms and core competitive game experiences, it's probably not that, but as we go through this franchise we will look at every platform people play on.

Although there's nothing rock-solid about this title yet, and we apparently shouldn't expect to hear anything until next year, the proposition of a Bungie-developed Wii shooter, for example, is undeniably enticing.

[via gonintendo.com]

grenworthshero

grenworthshero said:

Meh. I don't really care. Bungie's Halo is a decent FPS, but nothing too exciting. Activision just seems to make games for the sole reason of getting as much money out of people as possible, and I've never much liked anything they've made.

Caliko

Caliko said:

Knew it would happen sooner or later.
Finally would shut up those kids who kept insisting "Uhhh no, bungie a MS eclusive cant go other consoles."

Cia

Cia said:

Well, i need nothing from them. I rather play Turok 2 with my n64 than any Halo.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I don't care for Bungie and I hate Activision so whatever they decide to do will not interest me one bit. I believe that Microsoft owns Halo anyway so that will be staying on the Xbox.

kevohki

kevohki said:

Not too excited about this considering the only good game Bungie has ever made was Halo 2.

Lugas

Lugas said:

Sounds good. I've liked Bungie's other games, Marathon, Myth and Oni. Didn't like Halo so much. Has anyone else played Marathon, Myth or Oni?

odd69

odd69 said:

Those guys at bungie are good at what they do, i wouldn't sell them short just because they made halo. The point is they can make good games.

AVahne

AVahne said:

hoping this new IP will be very awesome, Halo was kinda boring for me(though i DO like the books)

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

It won't be Halo. Microsoft owns that property. I do like people whining about the lack of third party support and then complaining when a new one pops up.

The fact that they're in business with Activision is distressing for a long time fan of Bungie such as myself.

Caliko

Caliko said:

@The Fox
I agree. Wii fans whine WAAAY too much especially come E3.

But I would like to see Bungie create a Wii exclusive, like an RPG.

ejamer

ejamer said:

Being in business with Activision is also distressing for Wii fans, since the company has published almost nothing worth playing on the console during the entire generation.

Hopefully Bungie will prove those fears unfounded though.

Aenaida

Aenaida said:

My expression shall mirror Mr. Ryan's up there until I learn what kind of project Bungie has planned for the Wii.

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

Actually, a Halo port is impossible. Microsoft owns Halo, not Bungie ;)

Caliko

Caliko said:

Actually Halo could be purchased but it would cost tons of money. Halo was bought from Apple.

HipsterDashie

HipsterDashie said:

I've never played Bungie's earlier titles, but I am a massive fan of Halo. Normally I'll be taking my dino ( <3 ) into the depths of Halo 3 Matchmaking every night. I also love how in touch Bungie are with their fanbase.

Already pre-ordered my limited edition of Reach. Exclusive Elite armour ftw! :D

irken004

irken004 said:

I'll be impressed when Bungie makes an impressive title for Wii. Until then, they can stay on other consoles.

I prefer first-party support anyway.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

If I'm dreaming, this means Master Chief should be in the next Smash Bros.

Chozo85

Chozo85 said:

More third party support can only be a good thing, especially from a developer with Bungie's pedigree. That being said, nothing they make will excite me as much as a new Mario or Metroid.

JackMack

JackMack said:

@Ico
I'm pretty sure Kingdom Hearts wasn't on a Nintendo console.

I would be interested to see what Mr. Ryan might have in store for the Wii, I enjoyed Halo a lot but I haven't checked out any of their other games so my guess is one or two PS3 only games and no love for Wii. =(

Xkhaoz

Xkhaoz said:

Hmmmm, hopefully it'll be good. But I can tell you this, it wont be Haloo because Halo is owned my Microsoft, who owns EVERYTHING we love.

said:

uhm, cool I guess? shrugs

"I absolutely believe there is a place in the world for the Wii" - No s**t! It has like 50% of marketshare worlwide! Seems that working with MS makes people a little blind and deaf :P

BlueFlameBat

BlueFlameBat said:

I hate it when people jump to conclusions like this, setting us up for disappointment. James Newton, you have upset me for the last time! I challenge you to a sword-fighting duel to the death!!!

Acidfoxdyi831

Acidfoxdyi831 said:

wow
this is gonna b crazy
i love halo
lets see wat they do for us hardcore wii gamers in the future
woot this is gonna b good

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

Nice. The first thing I thought when I saw this was "OMG HALO WII OMG!!!" until I remembered that Micro$oft owned Halo. Dang.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

I also love how people complain about how there's no 3rd party support for wii, and then when a popular developer jumps on board they whine that no, in fact they don't want 3rd party support, only Nintendo published games. Why? Just because the developer in question created a popular franchise for another console.

I, for one, would love to see a Bungie game on the Wii. As long as it's a well done game, I'm happy. If it turns out to be not a genre I like, ok, at least there will be lots of other people who will enjoy it. A well done proper FPS would be nice on the Wii. Something on the level of Halo 2 for the original Xbox would be great! People made great FPS's before HD, so I see no reason why a polished and entertaining FPS can't be brought to the Wii.

Knux

Knux said:

It's nice to hear that Bungie is going to support the Wii. But Bungie has signed up with greedy Activision, and I don't see what good can come out of that.

grenworthshero

grenworthshero said:

People who own a Wii aren't complaining about no third-party support. We're complaining about no GOOD third-party support. Nothing Activision or Bungie has produced has interested me. I'm not going to be excited just because two big names are putting their game[s] on the Wii. Until I see the product, I remain apathetic.

Saddler

Saddler said:

I'd like to see them make a really nice looking 3DS game. A Wii game would be good too, but handhelds have arguably become better than consoles delivering certain kinds of games, and I'd like to see an RPG from Bungie on the system.

There's nothing any 3rd party can do on the Wii that would please people, so I wouldn't blame them for not trying. IMO there are tons of good 3rd party Wii games that are not well respected though.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Honestly, I wouldn't rule out Halo for Wii just because Microsoft owns it. How short our memories are. The first serious console wars saw Colecovision, Atari and Mattel all making ports of original games on their systems for competitors systems. Sometimes the lure of latinum is just too great to ignore kids.

With regard to this news item specifically, I may not be particularly bothered about not having access to Halo, but I won't deny that Bungie has some serious talent and if they can use it to bring something good to the Wii (whatever genre it is) then I welcome it.

Whilst it's also true that Activision has nothing to do with the company from the days of the Atari 2600 beyond the name, and I'll also admit they've not favoured the Wii with consistently good output; I've still put in dozens of hours on Marvel Ultimate Alliance for which I'm quite grateful and I'm prepared to believe they can publish another good game for my platform of choice.

Bottom line: lighten up people!

HolyMackerel

HolyMackerel said:

I enjoyed Halo and Halo 2 a lot. But I really am tired of the franchise. If they make a Halo game for the Wii, they're just continuing to demonstrate their unoriginality. They're taking the safe road all the time by only making games in their one well-known IP.

I loved that Oni was an attempt to bring gameplay to new places with an original look for a PC game. Let's have something new for the Wii or nothing at all, thanks.

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

@Sean: I do believe Bungie stated that Halo Reach was their last game. Regardless, if they were to do a Halo game, then according to this post Activision would publish it (if Halo was that IP). I don't think Microsoft is gonna be too thrilled about that one.

tambourine_man

tambourine_man said:

I don't see why so many people on here hate Bungie just because they made Halo on the Xbox and people like it. I honestly don't see why people have to be so 'loyal' to a company/console/whatever. Halo's a fun shooter, if you don't want to play it, don't play it, but I don't see why you should hate everything to do with it.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

@Sean.... from everything Ive read Microsoft literally OWNS the rights to Halo just like where Infinity Ward just split recently leaving Modern Warfare in the dust, only difference is Bungie can still develop a Halo title but it will still be exclusive to the X360. Insomniac Games (Ratchet and Clank) also just went multiplatform for X360 and possibly Wii but it will NOT be a Ratchet and Clank or Resistance game as Sony Owns those franchises.

Bottom of the line... Bungie is a Fantastic developer. Its been rumored for years that they wanted out from under the heavy weight that Microsoft was putting on them just like Bizarre Creations (Project Gotham Racing, Geometry Wars and upcoming MultiPlatform Blur). They wanted the freedom to be a independent developer and the ability to create on the own accords again. They did release another IP that is forgotten by many called Stubbs the Zombie, wich wasnt fantastic and still had the incredible amount of Bungie Polish you can expect from them. It wasnt Halo and lots of XBOX gamers simply didnt even try it to their own losses.

I didnt hear that they were going to develop for Wii, but guys/gals this is Great News for Wii. I guarantee Bungie will create some of the best 3rd Party Games available for the Wii. My fingers are crossed to see a release of Stubbs the Zombie for Wii. Bungie makes some of the most polished games available on the market and are a company that sits on the top right with Nintendo, Sony in my book for great releases. Having a little Bungie name in the bottom right corner of a Wii Game Case will put a smile on this gamers face for sure.

..... on a further note, you guys should check out the recent Beta Test of Halo Reach to see just how simply Amazing it is shaping up to be as well.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Please note when I said I wouldn't rule out Halo appearing on the Wii ever, I didn't say Bungie or Activision would have anything to do with it - clearly neither company owns that IP.

While I do think it extremely unlikely Microsoft would publish software for the Wii, it's not impossible to imagine; as I said there is precedence for this kind of thing.

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

While I am happy that Bungie is leaving behind their whole "Microsoft is The One Ruler" contract, I won't be going crazy for the new, multi-platform game until I see what the game is. Either way, I'm happy to see some change. :)

edofthe209

edofthe209 said:

if they make something as good as Halo Wars for the Wii(because we are seriously hurting fr a good non-2D RTS) I'll be a very happy camper.