Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon Gets The NES Treatment

Posted by Damien McFerran

Classic rock album is re-imagined on the vintage 8-bit

Pink Floyd may be a band that your dad was into when he was younger but that doesn't deny them the privilege of being one of rock music's all-time greatest acts, and their magnum opus The Dark Side of the Moon still sounds amazing even today.

But you know what would make it sound even more amazing? If it were re-done using nothing but the NES sound chip.

Video game programmer Brad Smith obviously thinks along these lines too because he's recreated the entire album in chip-tune format, and named it Moon8. "No expansion chips were used," he proudly states. "This album works entirely within the limits of the standard North American NES." Peachy.

You can listen to the tracks individually or download the entire album here.

Far-out, man.

[via kotaku.com, rainwarrior.thenoos.net]

James

James said:

I saw Pink Floyd live once. They didn't sound as good as this.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

I saw Pink Floyd live in Sheffield Arena back in the mid 80s (I think). Fantastic concert that gave me the bug for attending a few other concerts by other bands during the late 80s and early 90s. The album is an all time great as well.

THIS is sweeeeet!

D00M

D00M said:

Awesome, I listened to one track and then downloaded it :)
(My wife is gonna think i'm a loon though...)

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:

"Someone do The Who's Quadrophenia next."
Seconded. I would love a hear an 8-bit version of Love Rein O'er Me.

Downloading this now. Very intrigued.

That_Guy_from_Faxana

That_Guy_from_Faxana said:

This is very good. One of the best NES-adaptions I´ve heared. I´ve always prefered "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" and "Wish You Were Here", but this is well worth listening. Impressive.

That_Guy_from_Faxana

That_Guy_from_Faxana said:

@8, 10: Seconded. One of the best albums ever made...

Love Reign Oér Me is a possible stunner, as well as Quadrophenia and The Rock... But well, Pink Floyd translates very good to 8-bit, I doubt the rocksound of Who would survive...

Mange

Mange said:

Quite funny and pretty well done but I have to disagree with Prosody, the real thing is way better. I also have seen them live. One of the best concerts I have been to.

werdy

werdy said:

Now THIS IS SOMETHING. Amazing. Professional musician and music. Grat!!!

GreenSpleen

GreenSpleen said:

@ Bikeage

That was exactly my thought too! I did that years ago and everyone watching was just blown away. Soberity may have played a part in that but still...

Cheezy

Cheezy said:

I could imagine this album as the soundtrack for the next Mega Man 8 bit game. I effing love Pink Floyd. The Wall was my favorite album :)

the_shpydar

the_shpydar said:

Awesome! Floyd is either my #1 or #2 all-time fave band (alternating with The Beatles depending on my mood). Downloading now!

Rerun

Rerun said:

Excellent work! I'll send this to my Dad. Him being a huge fan and all.

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

It would be cool if he could put this onto an NES cart... that would make this already awesome thing awesome-er!

@Big A2
There have actually been a few 16-bit Pinball Wizard versions used in a few pinball machines.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

PINK FLOYD ROCKS YEAH!!! Pure awesomeness! I don't know how I missed this article when it first posted...
:D :D :D