Nintendo Download: 12th February 2010 (Europe)

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

Increasing the amount of games ever so slowly.

Nintendo of Europe's planned games for today seemed almost set in stone since last week, but over the past few days we suddenly got a handful of extra games to complement update, bringing the total amount of new things this week up to seven. Still not quite as much as elsewhere, but at least they're inching their way ever closer!

By far the biggest deal this time is the single new Virtual Console release. Sonic & Knuckles works just the way it did originally. It can be played on its own, offering you more great 16-bit Sonic gameplay, but it can also be combined with Sonic the Hedgehog 1,2 or 3, if you've downloaded any of them, offering a whole bunch of extra content and bonuses. By far the most substantial is combining it with 3, but any Sonic fan won't want to miss the things the other two combinations offer up either. It took a long time for this to finally come out, but now it's finally here, and with full functionality! We'll have a review of it soon.

WiiWare brings us two games previously already released in North America. Konami's Frogger Returns might not involve vampires and whips, but is nonetheless also quite faithful to the old game it tries to be an upgrade of. It's got pretty much the same gameplay of the original arcade game - Make your way past traffic and numerous other obstacles to rescue your frog buddies at the top of the screen. But that's not all this time - There's several new levels and multiplayer modes to keep you entertained as well. We thought it was quite decent, and it only costs 500 Wii Points, so why not check it out?

It was a bit of a risky move bringing Overturn: Mecha Wars outside of Japan, but it was well worth the effort. As the title gives away completely, you take control of a large combat robot, and your goal is quite simply to beat other ones in multiple large arenas. Pretty simple (and fun), but the big draw here is the online multiplayer option. Not often seen in WiiWare titles, but very welcome for this particular one! If you're in the mood for some mecha-based combat, the game will not disappoint, so consider it well if you've got 800 Wii Points to spend.

DSiWare gets four new games this week, but half of that is comprised of the return of Electroplankton titles. In this case, it's Rec-Rec and Lumiloop. As before, which installment you'll like best is completely based on your own preferences, but you can read these two reviews to get an idea of what these two are about. Each costs 200 DSi Points.

Another not terribly interesting release is Sudoku 4Pockets. The umpteenth Sudoku game on DSiWare, you should know what these are about by now. As you can probably imagine, this particular one doesn't really stand out in any way or form, and so gets a rather appropriate score from us. It costs 500 DSi Points.

What might be interesting, however, is Let's Golf. A port of a PSP and iPhone game by Gameloft, it's a cutesy golf game which doesn't look particularly special. It doesn't look bad either though, so maybe it will be a nice alternative to the already quite good Nintendo Touch Golf? Like all Gameloft games (Well, except one), it costs 800 DSi Points. We'll review it soon.

There are no Virtual Console games planned for next week yet. Let's hope this ends well!

Xkhaoz

Xkhaoz said:

Um, there's a mistake. It says that all Gameloft games are 800. I don't know about in Europe, but Castle of Magic is 500.

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

Nothing for me this week. I really need a demo for Overturn: Mecha Wars because it looks like it could be boring pretty quick. I'm not sure about the Frogger game either. From what I have read, I've got a feeling that the controls are really awkward.

Machu

Machu said:

Mecha Wars! Excellent, been dying to have a go at that. I can fall off my balance board in a whole new way, wooh!

astarisborn94

astarisborn94 said:

If Sonic & Knuckles doesn't come to North America this Monday, Europe will finally have a game to brag about to us.

Benso001

Benso001 said:

Nooooo!!!! Not more elecktroplkton =( Plus I'm not much of a fan of golf and so I'll give that a miss :p Not a good week for me =(

said:

I hope that S&K comes this monday. I have 800 pts reserved just for it

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

@ Chunky Droid: It made a version of the Blue Sphere Minigame from Sonic 3/S&K. There's a lot more variety in it. :)

Porky

Porky said:

Why was it a risky move to make Overturn available elsewhere from japan?

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

You need to review "Sonic & Knuckles" and "Sonic 3 & Knuckles" seperately. S3 and S&K by themselves are great 8/10 or 9/10 games, but when you lock them together to create what Sonic 3 was originally supposed to be, it's a masterpiece that deserves a rare 10/10.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is more than just DLC. It's more like a highly enhanced compilation of the two games. It combines the levels of both games, allowing you to play the whole set with features that were in only one of the original games (all the playable characters, save system, etc.), plus it adds a big extra feature that wasn't in either of the original games.

giannis

giannis said:

i wonder if the overturn it will be boring? i have hesitation a bit.
i'm fifty fifty.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

I agree with Bulba, S3&K is a straight 10/10 game. Huge adventure, 14 Emeralds to collect and the almighty Hyper Sonic, Hyper Knuckles, and Super Tails to blast around as, kicking ungodly amounts of ass. And lots of extra content like remixed (and considerably harder) bosses when playing as Knuckles, and alternate routes through levels that weren't possible in Sonic 3 alone.
Sonic 2 Featuring Knuckles is just as brilliant as Sonic 2 originally was, except now you get to climb around stuff and find extra bonuses, which is cool if not revolutionary - there's rarely much reason to climb things that you couldn't get up originally with a good burst of speed, but that's understandable considering S2 wasn't originally designed to cater for the echidna. And it's still fun regardless finding new ways to get across the zones.
As for Blue Sphere (Sonic 1 locked on), if you like S3/&K's Emerald stages, then hundreds of new levels of it can only be a good thing. And later levels get really, really challenging. A very welcome bonus.

Pj1

Pj1 said:

With no planned VC titles next week, we will need to be patient for S.M.K! I hope we get it soon. I'm downloading Sonic & Knuckles later...

3230ru

3230ru said:

not bad for Wii, but still bad for DSi... nothing new, nothing original.

Zak_Canard

Zak_Canard said:

If I recall correctly Sonic 3 was originally released with a number of zones missing to meet the release deadline, but evidence of the cut was for some reason left behind. Flying Battery, Sandopolis and Mushroom Valley all appeared in the Sonic 3 level select screen but were only "accessible" (in a Sonic 2 Hidden Palace garbled graphics kinda way) with a Game Genie or Pro Action Replay. With that in mind you could say Sonic 3 locked on to S&K is the true Sonic 3.

TwillightPrince

TwillightPrince said:

I think those Electroplankton games are annoying. They should have made them in one game for 800 points...

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

@Ezekiel: Possibly because it's not that popular a genre outside of Japan (the Wii certainly isn't overflowing with them) and I imagine the presence of online requires a bit of investment on the part of the publisher which would necessarily increase the risk.

I do hope people will support the game because it's pretty well done and outside of a nameless budget release I cannot think of another robot fighting game on the Wii - unless you count Godzilla Unleashed...

Zak_Canard

Zak_Canard said:

For S&K, does the "lock-on" work with having the games on the SD card or does it rely on them being in main memory?

dom77

dom77 said:

mario kart???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Roebuck

Roebuck said:

I've had Overturn for a bit now, and I like it. The cusomization is good with a new add-on when you defeat a boss. The online is really great but lacking in players. Which is my only complaint.

Sylverstone

Sylverstone said:

Sonic and Knuckles makes me forgive them for a lacking DSiWare release this week, because it has lock-on features!

jackaroo

jackaroo said:

I love sonic but I wouldve much rather had Castlevania The Adventure Rebirth. Please say its coming out next week. And dark void zero!

RedBlueSpot

RedBlueSpot said:

What the....!!!!
Where is Castlevania Rebirth?
Where is Blaster Master Overdrive?
Where is Dark Void Zero for the DSi?

The only.. ONLY.. reason for Nintendo NOT to release these games is cuz they want more money for Excite bike here in EU,

Guybrush_Threepwood

Guybrush_Threepwood said:

Only one Virtual Console game again! :( At least better than no game at all (like previous PAL releases). It's a shame that Nintendo is mostly relying on WiiWare nowadays and ignoring the potential of Virtual Console.

No game for me again this weekn! Sonic & Knuckles is a great game (even in the mediocre 50 Hz version you get on a PAL Wii), but I already own the Ultimate Megadrive Collection which is one of the best videogaming deals ever (13 GBP for thirty Megadrive games vs. 8 GBP for a Sonic game on Virtual Console).

When does Europe finally get Super Mario Kart? I still have 3000 unused Nintendo points I bought over three months ago awaiting new Virtual Console highlights. :(

Pj1

Pj1 said:

Yeah lets wait another three weeks then we might get Super Mario Kart, or either that the Hanabi event in September.