Bonsai Barber Coming To WiiWare This Monday

Posted by Corbie Dillard

It seems we've got yet another surprising WiiWare release on our hands.

Zoonami, a development studio headed up by former GoldenEye lead developer Martin Hollis, is getting set to release their first WiiWare title Bonsai Barber onto the North American WiiWare service on Monday.

The game makes use of the Wii console's internal system clock and enables the player to clip five different plants each day. Using the Wii Remote's motion sensing capabilities, the player guides their trimmers along the tiny branches of the various plants in the game.

Once you've finished, you can even snap photos of your creations to send to your friends via the Wi-Fi function of the Wii. If the plants are happy with the hairdo you've given them, they'll even offer you gifts as a reward. You can check out the screenshot below for a little taste of what to expect from this odd little WiiWare offering.

We'll have more information on the game as it becomes available, as well as a full review of the game when it hits the WiiWare service.

Untitled

Virus

Virus said:

Hmmm...James Bond, then bonsai trees...yeah, I'm missing the connection.

Olimar_91

Olimar_91 said:

Ehhhh... What is there to say about such a strange game? :P

Well, in the very least, I hope it turns out to be awesome.

siavm

siavm said:

Looks bad to me. I like niche games but this just looks like digicrapware.

Terra

Terra said:

Wow, this is certainly unexpected. I didn't think there ever would be games like this.

Still, i'll probably pass. Really doesn't sound like my sort of game.

accc

accc said:

This looks stupid and way overpriced at 1000 points. Hopefully it's not the only WW game coming out Monday but I'm not getting my hopes up.

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

So Zoonami still exists? I thought they went bankrupt long ago. Too bad they're working on stuff like this.

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

Hmmm, fair enough. Well, I guess I'll wait for the review, not expected, though not something I would've looked forward to anyway.

TRON

TRON said:

ummmm... ummm... Oh and ummmm...

But seriously, ummmm.... this may be odder than Seaman for the Dreamcast.....

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

I seriously hope we get two games... If not, at least the VC has much to offer with the C64, VCA and the usual VC Releases!

Objection

Objection said:

I thought this was gonna be a "I'm 500 pts so everyone will download me no matter what" games but it's twice that? Good luck. It doesn't even seem to be much of a real game. I'm okay with this being the only WW release. I already have a lot of catching up to do now that I don't have to complain about storage. :)

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

1000 Wii Points does seem a bit steep for something like this. It's hard to believe that the same guy that was a part of GoldenEye on the Nintendo 64 is now developing something like this.

Maybe after you finish trimming the plant it whips out an assault rifle and the perspective changes to first-person where you're staring down an endless hallway. But I highly doubt that. :P

themortalangel

themortalangel said:

WTH who was on crack when this idea was pitched?? Seriously is that a talking potato if so bravo...we just a new level of high...this now topping the term "California Baked."

I dunno I really want to put more faith in this guy since he kind of was a big deal on one of the leading pioneer FPS games. However I almost can't help being ashamed at the sight of this. I really REALLY hope this is better than it looks.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I'm really confused as to how this is 1000 points, but the awesome Bit.Trip.Beat is so cheap. How does Nintendo determine price? Did the devs of this spend double the budget to produce it? Does Nintendo think 3D rendered graphics = higher price justification over 8-bit 2D?

Omega

Omega said:

Thanks to these kind of games, we can now calm down by looking at an aquarium or pruning a bonsai tree. Or how about a game where you look out of the window and watch the birds outside? Wouldn't that be wonderful? But remember: You should always carry some sedatives and pop one before turning on the Wii console.

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

Sean: I wouldn't be surprised if that was the dev's decision.

That 5 per day limit seems arbitrary...

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

WOW! This was a surprise, and I actually can't wait to give this a try. Come on, people - try something different!

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

@KDR_11k: I'm pretty sure more than one developer has been quoted as saying Nintendo sets the price on the games; any developers or interviewers care to clarify?

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

I always thought prices were a two way process. Nintendo gets final say but developer sets its expectations (I'm pretty sure WiiWare is %age royalty based meaning a game that costs more gets more per game). You've got to remember Nintenod has nearly a years worth of exact sales data to work with. We don't get that :(

As for the game. I guess they are aiming for the my aquarium market (you go there everyday to feed the fish and watch them for a few minutes?) except somewhere ti was missed the allure of My Aquarium being 500 points...

Ren

Ren said:

Theres no other visuals out there of this than that dopey looking still? Can't really make any judgement without more info. People sure like to freak out when something looks like a dumb game. Just don't get it then.
1000 seems really steep, though, if the functions described here are really it.

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

I doubt Nintendo alone would have decided that Plättchen should cost 1500 points.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

@KDR_11k: No they didn't, at one point Bplus were even looking for a price point of 2000 points due to the long length of Plattchen, but it was clear that this would put people off, so Nintendo did the next best thing and let them sell it for 1500 (in Europe at least, don't forget that it only cost 1000 in NA). The developer does have some say in pricing, but in the end, it all comes down to Nintendo's decision.

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

Jeje, If I had the money I'd send this game to a friend of mine whose nickname is Bonsai :P, he actually likes those little trees. For me, well it doesn't seem like a bad game, but is just not my cup of tea.

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

@Wiiloveit: People try something different and stopping the cynicism? If only it were as easy as suggesting it.

I sincerely hope we get a second WiiWare game. C'mon Nintendo... don't let us down next update. I really hope for a good VC update at least (more than Super Punch-Out's release).

HOT-ROD

HOT-ROD said:

Wow this definitely doesn't look fun at all. I will not be buying at all lol.

Jockolantern

Jockolantern said:

1000 points to give virtual "haircuts" to chia pets? Gonna' have to pass. Entirely unappealing gameplay.