Princess Zelda A "Heroine in Her Own Right", Lucky to Escape a Bungling Rescue From Link

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Ganondorf has been compared to the "business end of a skunk"

Earlier this week we brought you a slightly silly update on Yoshi's real name, in which 60 of you voted in our poll to suggest that the T in T. Yoshisaur Munchakoopas stood for Tupac; over a hundred of you instead decided it was "the greatest mystery of our times". Not the most serious moment here on Nintendo Life, we'll admit, but it was fun.

That little fact was courtesy of Console Wars author Blake Harris, who was sharing some info from Nintendo's Character Guide of 1993. He's now shared some more with IGN related to the Legend of Zelda franchise. You can see these below.

The Princess Zelda image is a fun example, due to its emphasis on her heroism and the fact that she was in the process of escaping herself when Link arrived and almost killed her by mistake. The series has often emphasized that, though Link is often saving the Princess and the world as a whole, she's a key figure that leads the fight against evil, with Wisdom if not brute force.

The Ganondorf illustration is also entertaining, with the text throwing around plenty of insults — "He has also been compared to sloths, slugs, toads, groupers and the business end of a skunk".

Harris will be sharing more of these illustrations soon, but in the meantime let us know what you think of these; do any of the descriptions shake up your perspectives of the characters?

Thanks to Benson for the tip.

[via uk.ign.com]

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Weird. I like the mention of "Zelda the First" messing with timeline purists' perceptions.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

Isn't it fairly standard in adventure games that the hero is a bit of an idiot and quite often needs the help of the person they're supposed to be saving.....

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

Link is telepathic!? This needs to be developed in future games...
Also, I want to see more Ganon and less Ganondorf.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

At a Play Nintendo Tour, a Nintendo rep quizzed me about which game it was when Link almost killed Zelda. I was at a total loss. It was funny when this showed up on the internet afterward. I don't think the average gamer would know the answer to that!

bouncer0304

bouncer0304 said:

This is why i love Nintendo- when they come up with back stories they're usually barking and funny. Love the Ganon one :-)

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Oh, that's not nice! Sure, that version of Ganon isn't too appealing, but Ganondorf as a person was bizzarely sympathetic in his own right.

@Splatom Almost. There's no information on whether Zelda would've succeeded at all.

onery

onery said:

All I can think of when I read Zelda's description:

"Well Excuuuuuuse Me, Princess!"

Usagi-san

Usagi-san said:

a silly question perhaps but what is the source for this info? where did Blake Harris get his hands on a Nintendo Character Guide?

Wouwter

Wouwter said:

"the business end of a skunk"

That has to be the best euphemism for butt that I have ever heard. :D

Samuel-Flutter

Samuel-Flutter said:

@Genesaur Actually, if I'm not mistaken the Hyrule Historia takes into account the stories of Zelda the First. It's in the Hero dies timeline. But honestly it was all confusing.

Nicolai

Nicolai said:

It's hard to imagine Ganon "cruelly snatching candy from the young," lol. Maybe, in the end, he just wanted someone to share a few sweets with him :D

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@Nicolai
Hey yea, maybe after one too many failed attempts at sharing, he gave up and became the king of evil, vowing to destroy the world and take all the candy for himself.:D

Hero-of-WiiU

Hero-of-WiiU said:

I understand the timeline more, mainly the events of OOT and after. But why some games come after one another I may never understand.

Radbot42

Radbot42 said:

So Ganon is Ganondorf and vise versa then? Everyone says that pig ganon isn't ganondorf, but this clearly disputes that.

SylveonLover

SylveonLover said:

This is very interesting! I wonder what would have happened to Hyrule if Link accidentally killed Zelda... Also, the mental image I have of Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf stealing sweets from children is very amusing.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

I loved the way most games in the 80's and 90's didn't take themselves as seriously as they do now.

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

You'd think by now that Nintendo would have published a Legend of Zelda game in which you play as Princess Zelda herself and rescue Link. After all, that formula has been done before in another popular Nintendo franchise.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Hyrule Historia has a version of the character height guide but with Mario characters on it as well. As for this book. I can't take the page-by-page teasing anymore, just dump the whole thing...

@DestinyMan I'm guessing the rep meant Twilight Princess. There is a boss fight against Zelda. Oh dear did I just say spoilers :(