Ninja Pizza Girl Wants Kickstarter Campaign to Deliver

Posted by Karen Halloran

You play as a pizza delivering ninja. Interested yet?

Disparity Games just opened a Kickstarter campaign for its intriguing new platformer, Ninja Pizza Girl, hoping to bring the game to the Wii U eShop should the funding target be me. Drawing inspiration from Sonic the Hedgehog and Mirror's Edge, Gemma the 16-year-old pizza delivering ninja free runs her way across a modern dystopia using jumps, slides and flips, taking out the baddies with effortless ease to deliver piping-hot pie. At least, that's what she'd like to do. It's when she doesn't that things get interesting.

Enemy behaviour in Ninja Pizza Girl is what sets it apart from most other games in the jump 'n' free run category. Instead of firing bullets, hurling throwing stars or otherwise trying to physically damage Gemma, enemies bully and humiliate her when she fails. As Gemma's confidence is chipped away, her world drains of colour and shadows become longer in the grey cityscape; a game mechanic inspired by the real-life experience of adolescence. Disparity's ambition for Ninja Pizza Girl is to make an inclusive game designed to appeal to core and casual gamers while addressing real-world issues.

Is Ninja Pizza Girl's concept appealing to you? Do you go vegetarian or live and die by pepperoni? Let us know in the comments!

[via kickstarter.com]

Drac_Mazoku

Drac_Mazoku said:

I love the concept, I didnt like the bland 3D environnement, and the gameplay who seems...generic, choppy and floaty, in lack of better terms.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Uhhhhhhhhhh... another runner game? I can see the platformer aspect and stuff, but the concept itself doesn't work for a long game.
An arcade-style High Score runner would make more sense. Just one gigantic level with many different paths, weather effects, and enemy designs where you get points for pretty much everything except getting hit and standing.
But this... sorry, this looks like nice effort, the concept is somewhat flat, to be honest.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

It seems really interesting, especially the bullying concept. Not "I'm gonna back it" interesting, but "I'll likely get it if it comes out" interesting.

Kewlan

Kewlan said:

So I played the pre-pre-pre-alpga demo, and it was actaully really fun! :)

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Oragami I plan to. E3 scuppered it and I haven't had time to revive them. I need to catch up on the current KS happenings to get them going again.

Phantom_R

Phantom_R said:

That's a really cool game concept. The animations could use some weight/momentum and the graphics more style/texture, but it is a work in progress. I do hope the gameplay... delivers.

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

Looks interesting, its not the prettiest game in the world but its a work in progress. I think I'll keep my eye on it.

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

Wow, I really like the concept. It's intriguing but the execution looks so flat. Art style looks bland, levels look generic, I don't mean to be rude but it just look meh.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

Also, using the whole, 'different but in a good way' ploy... I don't like it when people use that lightly as I (an American, christian, autistic, gaelic speaking, Nintendo loving, fringe-having, lived in Scotland since I was 5, boy named Otto) had severe bullying in both primary and secondary school, and I stay away from the mainstream as much as I can. I can tell from the dubstep and the cliche 'internet cartoon' art style, that it's not 100% 'different'. But I can't exactly judge a game before I've played it, let alone before it's come out, so we'll see.

Dave24

Dave24 said:

Wow the art is atrocious. They seriously want 35 grand? It's like a really bad joke, and expensive one too

HyperSonicEXE

HyperSonicEXE said:

Okay, I have to say it:

WELCOME TO NINJA PIZZA
HOME OF THE NICE, SLICE!
(A cookie to anyone who knows the reference.)

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

NO...just no. I'm started to loath the indie scene. There's just so much uninspired cheap looking and plagiarized junk. At this point i'm rooting for Yacht Club, i can't wait to see what their next project will be. :*

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

@Dave24
I want to start a Kickstarter to raise enough money to ban kickstarter. ;)
we need quality control. Shovel Knight should be the indie standard. Pizza girl looks like a long lost PS2 game from some no name developer that never got the green light. The Pizza Girl logo alone is appalling.

Anyways, i think i'll just stick with Samurai Pizza cats thank you vewy much. :*
Untitled

It's funny, in the retail video game world, we have so many "me too" military shooters, yet in the indie scene we have so many "Me too" Fauxe retro platformers. In this case we have a "me too" Bit Trip Runner. I'd love to see somebody create a new genre as hard as it may be!

Drawdler

Drawdler said:

I like the design concept, but the game itself looks bland so far. The graphics are bland and for a runner, it looks like it might not be fast enough.
@Kaze_Memaryu Rayman Jungle Run is a good runner that has levels rather than a randomized endless stage. You collect the lums/coins in each stage, with no real scoring system. The difficulty is kind of cheap in some of the later stages, but it's charming enough that it doesn't get too frustrating and for the most part the stages aren't too long. I didn't play it much but the sequel, Fiesta Run, also seems pretty good.

Weedy

Weedy said:

@WaveBoy
I saw this news story and immediately thought Samurai Pizza Cats. That screen shot brings back memories, enjoyed the cartoon too.

jariw

jariw said:

@WaveBoy "I'd love to see somebody create a new genre as hard as it may be!"

In what way aren't games like Scram Kitty and Affordable Space Adventures new genres? IMO, those games are much more "new" than Shovel Knight.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

@jariw
I never said Shovel Knight was the birth of a new genre, it may borrow the down ward thrust Zelda II/Ducktales pogo stick mechanic, but it does enough 'new' to warrant itself being a stand alone unique(somewhat) NES experience in the 2D/Sidescroller genre.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

@Weedy
The samurai Pizza cat cartoon was all sorts of awesome. I'd usually catch it on YTV before heading to school back in the day. Thankfully, you can get the complete series on DVD now. ;)

tj3dsXL

tj3dsXL said:

Theres ALREADY April O Neil in TMNT thank you very much ! I hope this idea-rip-off game never makes it out of its "box", i guess in the digital world you dont have to but this seem kinda uncanny esp. with the movie coming out next month (AUG 8th) here in the USA. Someone wants extra cheese !

DiscoGentleman

DiscoGentleman said:

Couldn't even get through their plea video with all of the insincere monologues. If you can't act, don't try to when trying to come across as well put together and asking people for money. Be genuine. You're selling your self.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

@Nibelilt Nah, I didn't mean a big randomized level, just a ginormous one with loads of path options.
The problem here is that this game doesn't have much to stand out, and the design just doesn't appeal to the general concept behind it. Ninja Pizza Girl needs something to compliment its design, and I see a big open level as a good way of doing that.

8BitSamurai

8BitSamurai said:

Not feeling this at all. The developers sounded more like they were begging more than anything, the physics look shoddy at best, and the graphics look like a PS2 budget title.

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

I played it at PAX Melbourne last year, it was actually pretty good, I'll be backing it. They gave me Ninja Pizza Girl badges for my kids, too.

Also, it's a family run company, their 16 year old daughter did all the art for it.