Miiverse Update Eases Comment Restriction and Boosts Post Character Limit

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Down to two minutes and up to 400 characters, that is

After a major Wii U system update this week, Nintendo has applied a smaller yet potentially rather popular update to its bespoke Miiverse social network, with tweaks that will give users a little more freedom on the platform. The ever evolving platform's changes have been applied across the Wii U, 3DS and web browser versions, in one case scaling back an unpopular change from earlier this year.

The update has lowered the mandatory waiting time between successive comments on a post from three minutes to two minutes, which is likely to be welcomed by more more enthusiastic users. Posts can now be longer, too, allowing up to 400 characters, while notifications and the Activity Feed have changes to check out. Full details from the official Miiverse post are below.

There has been an update to all versions of Miiverse today.

1) The time you have to wait between comments when making successive comments on someone else's post has been reduced from 3 minutes to 2 minutes.

2) You can now use up to 400 characters in each post and comment you write on Miiverse. Hopefully this should help everyone fit their hints and tips into a single post!

3) Your notifications screen can now display up to 50 notifications. We're considering adding an option to disable notifications for when you receive a Yeah, but that will be in a future update.

4) Your Activity Feed now shows posts that your friends or people you're following have given a Yeah to. You'll only see their most recent Yeah, though, so no need to worry about it filling up your feed.

That's it for today!

So there you have it. Are you pleased with these changes?

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Yeah I thought the 400 was a glitch at first because it displays 200 then suddenly switches.

HylianJowiStaff

HylianJowi said:

Nice! I really like how frequently Nintendo is updating Miiverse. It's clear they're taking a detailed look into how people are using the service and constantly hoping to improve the user experience.

SecondServing

SecondServing said:

Now this is a good update. The launch of Mario Kart 8 really has brought nothing but good things! I hope that one day we get an invite system for games, and a party chat system!

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

i HATE that !

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

@6ch6ris6 "4) Your Activity Feed now shows posts that your friends or people you're following have given a Yeah to."

"i HATE that !"

Yasss, Oh God. I don't care about what posts my friends yeah'd.

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

From 200 to 400? I might start using Miiverse again. The 200 limit puts me off big time.

HarryK

HarryK said:

What kind of friends do you have on your list that you can't handle one of their yeah'ed posts? I actually think this is a great idea as I'm usually interested in whatever my friends are interested in (e.g. beautiful artwork).

kuroINK

kuroINK said:

None of the previous problems bugged me that much since only draw on miiverse, but these fixes might do a good job in pacifying some miiverse users.

Meuz

Meuz said:

I noticed the fourth update when I was on the web version of Miiverse earlier. My whole activity feed was filled with posts about my friends giving 'Yeahs' to other posts. Maybe I have friends that 'Yeah' more posts than they make themselves.

sugarshack

sugarshack said:

How about a higher character limit on streetpass messages. what's the point of replying back to someone I meet more twice or more with a ~ 15 character limit. Smh.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Great update, though even if that fourth update only limits your friends' "yeah" to their latest "yeahed" post, that might still fill up the activity feed depending on how frequently they "yeah" posts. Other than that, everything else sounds great. It's nice how quickly Nintendo makes changes to Miiverse. My favorite out of those is more characters. For people who are great artists and get "yeahs" all the time, the notification update should help a bit.

mjc0961

mjc0961 said:

Now if only they would improve the load time for Miiverse (especially on 3DS) so you can quickly post when you find something cool in a game and get back to playing instead of spending minutes looking at loading screens.

Phantom_R

Phantom_R said:

100-character Miiverse taught me a lot about trimming word and character counts. That's a lesson kids these days will never learn.

Iggly

Iggly said:

None of these updates really matter to me except for that character limit boost. It will definitely help me save time since I'd usually have to try finding some synonyms to cut down my posts by a little

ikki5

ikki5 said:

2 minutes is still too long. I used to enjoy going and scrolling through making comments on Mii verse, now I don't because I hate having to wait just to post on someones stuff. other updates however, are a nice little touch though #4 sounds like it could be annoying.... though good thing I don't have too many people on my friends list.

Shadow_Chad6982

Shadow_Chad6982 said:

I wish there was an option to turn off seeing yeahed posts in my feed. I don't freaking care what people yeah!

allav866

allav866 said:

There's still no way to filter Miiverse posts by a specific person in a specific community? Oh well. maybe next update.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Hy8ogen

I write incredibly neat and small, so I always go with hand written notes over typed notes. I can fit in at least twice what the character limit imposes... well, used to impose.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

I'm welcoming that drop from 3 minutes to 2 minutes. That should work out JUST perfect. When I hand write successive comments on a post, almost every single time I hit post it says "you must wait 1 more minute". So by dropping the wait time 1 minute, this should work out perfectly without having to wait at all.

andrea987

andrea987 said:

@allav866 I thought if you touched the icon/mii of every user, a list of his/her posts would appear, at least that's what I noticed on Wii U miiverse a while ago. Unless they changed it, don't know. More specific than that would probably be pushing it.
Very nice updates, BTW, shows that they listen.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

Nice! I was getting used to 200 limit, even though there were times I needed more (free comments under) so that helps out. Don't know if I would go any larger though. 2 minutes is better - 3 minutes sucked.

Baker1000

Baker1000 said:

YES! 200 was quite generous IMO, 400 is basically like giving us all free cake. I just wish Twitter would follow this example and up their limit to at least 200. It's embarrassing that Nintendo, who infamously "don't get" online can recognise that a social network needs a bigger character limit than 140.

RobbySuave

RobbySuave said:

Twitter has a 140 character limit because it allows an entire tweet to fit into a standard SMS message.

KeatonTS

KeatonTS said:

they should limit you from posting only when you post consecutively more than 3 times within one minute. but im glad they at least reduced it to 2 minutes and increased character count to balance it out.

allav866

allav866 said:

@andrea987 that's true, but you see all their posts. I'm talking about filtering their posts in a specific community. For example, I want to see a friend's posts in Nintendo Land, but he hasn't played it in a while, so I filter his posts to those made in Nintendo Land.