E3 2014: Super Smash Bros. 3DS Confirmed For October 3rd Launch

Posted by Damien McFerran

It's almost time

As well as revealing that Mii Fighters are going to be accessible in Super Smash Bros., Nintendo has just confirmed the release date for the 3DS iteration of the game: October 3rd.

As was previously confirmed, the handheld edition will hit store shelves before the Wii U edition. That is coming later in the year.

Now we have a solid date in hand, are you even more excited about Super Smash Bros. on the 3DS? Let us know with a comment.

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

Sucks that it got push back. Oh well, maybe Nintendo can get in a few more characters. Still hoping Solid Snake and Falco make the cut. Can't wait for October 3rd.

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

They said summer! SUMMER!!! THEY RUINED EVERYTHING!!!!! goes on a murderous rampage wait, Palutena? I'm sorry, nevermind, sorry everyone!

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

Everyone on the GFAQs forum all said it'd be coming in July/August. I was the only one who said Sept or later and nobody believed me. It's a good thing too for me because there is another game I want coming in Sept so this will give me more time to save for Smash.

Phantom_R

Phantom_R said:

We're all mad about another delay, but remember: "A delayed game is eventually good. A bad game is bad forever."

GreenX1

GreenX1 said:

It's about time they stopped adding features and started polishing upon them! Still, this just proves that summer is not great for new games.

Xtremetdifan

Xtremetdifan said:

Really? October? When they said summer I was
Hopeful for June
Realistically thinking July
Latest being August
But October, ugh! This is like waiting for Pokemon x all over again

2Sang

2Sang said:

I'm not happy but undastand Sakurai is doing his best I'm sure. Also, that will probably give us another 3-5 characters, giving us at least as many as brawl not including unlockables

Paintfrog

Paintfrog said:

Disappointed that it was pushed back to October. I was really hoping for a July or August release date, but I'm glad they are taking the time to work out all the bugs.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

I was disappointed... at first.
But then I realized this nuked my fears of Smash Bros getting the "meh, it's a handheld title, who cares" treatment. Aww yeah.
As long as it's as content-heavy as at least Melee!

dkxcalibur

dkxcalibur said:

So the window between the two games is going to be a month? I can't imagine the Wii U version coming out later then Thanksgiving in the US. They're going to want both out before Black Friday and the crazy Holiday shopping season starts.

Phantom_R

Phantom_R said:

@unrandomsam Not everyone despises Miis in any form, you know. And even if you don't care about Miis, this is still three new fighters with a whopping 36 special moves between them.

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it got delayed past to be line with the Wii U version again. I really think Nintendo doesn't know how to handle themselves with SSB, the Wii U needs the to be pushed, the 3DS version is really looking to take Wii U steam away, which isn't good considering Wii U needs all the steam it can get.

RR529

RR529 said:

Disappointed with the delay, but it frees me up to buy something else as my summer game.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

So Summer became October and Winter became Holiday. So they won't be that far apart.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

As long as Smash Bros. Wii U is still coming this Christmas season, I'm cool with this.

Delays are disappointing, but this means that Smash Bros. 3DS will get that much more polish and content.

crzysortagamer

crzysortagamer said:

Super smash has in my opinion always been perfected games. We have never been let down, so im glad for the push on the release date. They have been working hard so cut them some slack for making us a perfect game.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Was hoping for real-world summer, but I can live with this, since it may allow for polish, & getting things as near to perfect as possible. Still not great, releasing that close to WU, which will probably be out before the year's end. Still, I can wait.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

I'd question the whole "Summer" thing, if I cared to get the 3DS version. Wii U version all the way!

jkvasn

jkvasn said:

That long? Then I can wait 2 more months or whatever for the "real" version lol.

Meaty-cheeky

Meaty-cheeky said:

So excited to finally have a hand held version of super smash bros. Just wish the game could come out sooner, If the game had any bugs they could just give it an update like the updates for Mario kart 7 & Pokemon X&Y.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Darn it! In what part of the world (including the southern hemisphere) is October considered part of summer?! I was hoping to get this for my birthday in mid-August.