Bayonetta Wii U Director Shows More of What Those Nintendo Costumes Do

Posted by Tim Latshaw

Visor up! Visor down. Visor up! Visor down...

Isao Negishi, director of the Bayonetta Wii U port, took to the Platinum Games blog recently with some news on the game. In addition to a short video showing more of Bayonetta in action on the Wii U, Negishi explained features of the witch's new wardrobe of Nintendo-themed costumes.

According to Negishi, the details of the three costume-based shoutouts to Princess Peach, Link, and Samus, were carefully checked by original Bayonetta director Hideki Kamiya and accepted by him:

Let’s just say Kamiya was very particular about how each costume should look before passing approval.

As has been evident in other footage of the game, the outfits have more aesthetic effects than your typical fashions. Bayonetta's Princess Peach outfit, for example, changes some of her hard-hitting attacks into punches and stomps from Bowser. As Negishi jokes, we don't get to see all of the big bruiser:

Maybe she didn’t draw a big enough magic circle, because it looks like we can only see his arms and legs, LOL. Yet watching Bowser pummel enemies with punches and kicks is a sight to behold. That first thrill you get when Bowser slams the enemy with his fist is quite an unforgettable experience.

Personally, I love the stomp attack he has… and don’t forget to call him out during some of the climax scenes as well.

The Peach costume also appears to change Bayonetta's usual "currency" of halos into shiny, familiar coins.

When donning the tights ant tunic of Link, the Shuraba katana that can be acquired within the game turns into the Master Sword. Bayonetta's "Wicked Weave" attack will also resemble a giant version of the same iconic blade. Additionally, certain sound effects in the game will be replaced with those from The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, through permission from Nintendo.

The Samus armor is inspired by the original Metroid game, per Kamiya's request. One of the quirks Negishi chooses to highlight sounds like pure, silliness:

One special feature that comes with the Samus suit is the ability to put the visor up or down during cut scenes. I think you’ll be surprised how fun this is. See how good it feels to slam your visor down right after telling an enemy off, or discover the amusement in endlessly going up-down-up-down during the game’s more serious moments. This can put the game’s cut scenes in whole new light!

Negishi noted that the additions to the port he divulged were not all there is to offer, and that he may be write again with further details in the future.

Do any of the new costumes and their currently revealed effects appeal to you? Which one would you want to try first?

[via platinumgames.com]

NavySpheal

NavySpheal said:

It's cool how the developers can be silly during serious moments. It reminds me of Alan Wake when you can repeatedly yell someone's name during a death scene. It was hilarious.

outburst

outburst said:

I'll play her original costume but I will try Samus' costume. Peach costume is god awful imo. I don't mind Link's costume at all but I wish they went Zelda costume instead.

mamp

mamp said:

Still think Zero Suit Samus outfit would have been better suited for Bayonetta. She has the body to make it work.

KingofSaiyans

KingofSaiyans said:

Good to know they are having fun with the alternate costumes. I can't wait for these 2 games!

BigH88

BigH88 said:

Ha, thats freaking awesome. Might replay Bayonetta first than part 2.

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

If this is the sort of fun stuff they've worked in to the original game, makes you wonder what secrets there are in Bayonetta 2?

Hopefully it's Wonder-full. 101% Wonder...ful.

I haven't played either game yet, and I'm wondering what pointless stuff you can find after the credits. I need help.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Well I was already planning on replaying 1 anyway, but these additions make it a must. Not sure if any one appeals to me over any other, they just all seem like fun silly things rather than game changers, so hopefully we can try them all out at different points during the game and we aren't forced to choose just one.

1 still looks better than 2 though, hopefully there is some story involved in 2, all I've seen so far are boss fights in open areas, which are good for boss fights, but 1 had a lot of story in several different settings. I don't expect the story to be nearly as good, but I would like one. W101 - for all it's action of various types - had an actual full story spanning generations so maybe they'll surprise me.

Oren

Oren said:

I loved the first Bayonetta and these suits look like a fun addition . October can't come soon enough.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

The additions sound like a laugh should make playing through the first game again a lot of fun.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I still hope there are some other outfits that you can unlock after you beat the game. As has been said, ZSS and I will insist in having Wonder Pink. It would go full circle, since it is a Nintendo exclusive after all, and Pink makes a Bayo reference during her intro in W101.

@rjejr

Of course they won't show the story. It is called spoilers. But the premise of rescuing Jeanne's soul from hell is there, and the white haired kid (Wonder Black anyone?) is also part of the story.

element187

element187 said:

@rjejr I think the reason we aren't hearing much about the story in Bayo2 is because the flack Platinum took over revealing too much of W101's story in the Nintendo direct..... While I absolutely loved W101 from a gameplay perspective, the first few levels I almost had the dialogue memorized and could recite it on my first play through.

Discostew

Discostew said:

Knife goes in, guts come out.
Knife goes in, guts come out.

Sorry, the sub-text reminded me of that.

Mommar

Mommar said:

What would be cool is if when you put the visor down it muffled Bayonetta's voice like Dark Helmet from Spaceballs. THAT would make some of the cutscenes hilarious.

Expa0

Expa0 said:

These costumes are a nice extra, but I'm just happy I get to play a non sucky port of this game and it's on disc too.

I'm actually more hyped for this than Bayo 2 tbqh.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@element187 - "the flack Platinum took over revealing too much of W101's story in the Nintendo direct."

I gotta say, you know I'm on here alot, and I read almost as many comments as I post, but that's the first I've read of too much W101 in the ND. Maybe I was just so excited that there was going to be a Wii U game w/ spoken dialogue I ddin't care (not sarcasm, I really was excited)

That said, I do think Nitneod is blaming the W101 demo for it's lack of sales, and why the Wii U hasn't gotten another demo since. Well maybe 1, Sonic Lost Worlds. that's still about 6 months ago. I check every week, and there' salways 12 demos. I guess on the plus side they aren't taking any away ;-)

WanderingPB

WanderingPB said:

The first line in the article reminds me Simpsons episode when Homer is laying on a cloud like a recliner saying "cloud goes up, cloud goes down" LMAO!

W101 has taught me that the amount of unlockables in Platinum games is quite beefy also Bayonetta is an unlockable in W101 for those who didnt know…

Bayonetta 2 is the game ive been waiting for and am most excited about this year…Platinum truly gives gamers a unique experience i truly hope this will be successful for them and i also believe years later W101 will have a cult following because of its one of the most creative games we got on the Wii U

xerneas

xerneas said:

Why no Zero Suit Samus and Zelda instead of Link D: Well, this sounds good anyway!

whodatninja

whodatninja said:

@Discostew "I will grant you three wishe... ARGH*
"Knife goes in, guts come out".
"Knife goes in, guts come out."

:D

Seriously though, i'd rather get more info on release dates and/or how the inclusion of Bayo 1 works out pricewise.

Kirk

Kirk said:

Actually, just putting the visor up and down repeatedly during cut-scenes does indeed sound like fun.

Donutman

Donutman said:

just an added little perk for me. Going to get the game no matter what anyways. Loved 1st. I honestly enjoyed it more then GOW3 which was suppost to be the big ps3 button masher. Now we just need a No More Hereos 3 for Wii U that still uses same controls scheme as originals. PS: I do love that im getting both Bayonettas as well. Thanks Nintendo. Why does anyone not have a Wii U?

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@WanderingPB

Bayonetta is there but only a handful will get to unlock her. Jeanne and Rodin are also there, along with Kamiya himself. Of those I only got Rodin.

BoobooMama

BoobooMama said:

Who would've thought we'd ever see Samus' original design again? Looking forward to trying it out :D

WanderingPB

WanderingPB said:

@sinalefa True most might never unlock them but what i found disturbing is that once u set up the custom blocks that fit ur play style it takes the game to a whole other level but people still complained about the gameplay…makes me wonder if people even really played the game or just rushed through it. Guess its crazy now and days to look through the games menu and options…krazy. Aside from its creativity, humor and action it gives the players so many options on how to play and replay value…my goal is to beat it on very hard which i hear even Kamiya wasnt able to do LOL!

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@WanderingPB

I beat it on 101% Hard, but I could not beat most of the Kahkoo Regahs. It is not that hard when compared to er, Hard, but when you use the Wonder Liner the time does not slow down, so combos are harder. And of course the enemies do more damage.

WanderingPB

WanderingPB said:

@sinalefa nice! you're far ahead of me my friend i havent beaten Hard mode yet but look at that werent u concerned about Champions Road awhile back? its a walk in the park compared to W101 LOL!!! ive started Hard mode but havent gotten past Pure Platinum battling Orochee the time keeps getting me and im stubborn i refuse to lose on my favorite level of the game especially after getting Pure Platinum on normal…anything less hurts

The extra enemies arent a problem in Hard mode its the shorter time limit…no mistakes allowed so even though i dont take damage my time gets me silver or gold…and like i said before after getting pure platinum anything less hurts LOL! Good luck to you im sure ur as excited for the Bayonetta package like i am