Another World: 20th Anniversary Edition Releasing on 19th June in North America

Posted by Jowi Meli

It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world

Just a couple weeks ago, we reported that the Super Nintendo classic Another World (initially known in North America as Out of This World) would be coming to Wii U and 3DS as Another World: 20th Anniversary Edition. Now, it appears we can confirm the title's release date as 19th June on Wii U eShop thanks to this handy screenshot (which also helpfully highlights How to Survive and Color Zen Kids as titles releasing on the same day):

For those not in the know, Delphine Software's Another World is a "cinematic" action-platformer focusing on a young scientist named Lester who — after an experiment gone disastrously wrong — must fight to stay alive in a bizarre alien world. The game had stunningly smooth animation for the time of its original release, perhaps most notably comparable to the fluid acrobatics of Prince of Persia and was celebrated for its film-esque qualities not at all common for video games of the era. Obviously enough based on the title, 2014 marks the 20th anniversary of the game, and as such the game has received some amazing HD upgrades to further immerse players into the experience.

Were you a fan of the original Another World when it came to Earth way back in 1994? Are you looking forward to avoiding the alien menace when it comes to the eShop on 19th June? Tell us about your otherworldly experiences in the comments!

Thanks to Zach Kaplan for the tip (and screenshot).

Hordak

Hordak said:

I LOVE Another World. I had it as Out Of This World on multiple systems and this is an automatic, instant download for me on June 19. Does anyone remember that awful code wheel on the PC version?

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

Looking forward to download it! It's such a great, great game. I was fortunate enough to play this originally on the SNES and I still remember that playthrough. Even if I got stuck on several parts of the game due to it's difficulty (and because I was like, 8 years old, haha)

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

Never played the original. Don't like the artstyle at all. I'll probably miss out, but I'm not interested in this at all. shrug

Smooty

Smooty said:

should i be getting this?... i heard its short.. but it sounds so good! :(

Technosphile

Technosphile said:

@HaThready quite short, but if you go into it without a walkthrough or something you'll get a lot out of it.

I wish Flashback's latest version had been treated with the same amount of love and respect as this clearly has been. Instead, the Flashback name was slapped onto a very different, very terrible "remake".

FragRed

FragRed said:

Is this coming to the UK? I had this on the Sega, but I totally sucked at it. I much prefer Fashback, which at the time I always assumed was the sequel.

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

I played about 15 minutes of the original and while clearly a well-made game, it was a bit too slow and methodical for my tastes. I did own and complete Heart of Darkness (spiritual successor to this game), which was a brilliant yet tedious experience. Still, I am happy for those who will enjoy this game.

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

Great game that I never managed to finish back in the day,I bought it for my S4 last week and although the controls aren't ideal,it looks fantastic.It's cool how you can switch between the new and old style with a swipe of the screen.

WilliamK

WilliamK said:

Love this game, but I wonder if I will purchase it for the 3rd time. ;-) Now, Flashback, this is one I would like to see again...

TG1

TG1 said:

This game was stunning in 1991/92. I also loved the 3DO update! I'm curious about this version.

Jayvir

Jayvir said:

Never liked the original. Can't really put my finger as to why, but it's just one of those games that just irked me.

Than64

Than64 said:

I first learned of this game when it was made available on Google Play. It sounded interesting but not enough to want to spend time playing it on my phone. I do plan on purchasing it for my Wii U, though. The interest is still there.

But, like sinalefa, this is a game celebrating 20 years and I've only recently heard of it.

KingMike

KingMike said:

20 year anniversary? I could swear that game originally released before 1994. Like 1992 or earlier.

WhiteTrashGuy

WhiteTrashGuy said:

Played FLASHBACK on the Genesis, but never got around to OofTW. June 19th IS my birthday, so maybe it's about time.

GTWarrior77

GTWarrior77 said:

I missed out on this one back in the day. Will definitely be picking it up. Hopefully a PAL version is not too far off.

Marshi

Marshi said:

@KingMike It mas released in 1992 and this is the console version of the 20th aniversary remake that was released on ios 2 years ago

smikey

smikey said:

had a look in uk e-shop on 19th we get another world, kids colour zen, pushmo & monkey pirates (something my son wants already based on name alone)

plus vc I assume which doesn't normally show up this early. still i'm sure Nintendo life will have a full list in an hour or two

readyletsgo

readyletsgo said:

So, is this a remake or a VC release? When is it coming to Euro eShop?

EDIT: No worries, @Marshi answered that for me, its the iOS version from two years ago, mah, no interest.

AcesHigh73

AcesHigh73 said:

Yep, I loved the original game AND the first release of this 20th Anniversary Edition when it released with surprisingly decent touchscreen controls on the iOS App Store a couple of years back. Hoping for a speedy EU release, and when it does, I'll be grabbing this badboy again for both my Wii U and PS Vita - yes, it's that good. Four times the fun! :-)

mrchills

mrchills said:

I played this game, and it was cool.....twenty years ago. Ill definitely pick it up, and check out its scores on the tests of time.

Philippvs

Philippvs said:

Untitled

Sounds like Region 2 release date's on te 19th, £ 7.19...

P.S. im located in Asia with a Region 2 console LOL

rdrunner1178

rdrunner1178 said:

Nice! Been twenty years since I played this, so will be like playing it again for the first time.

ZB42

ZB42 said:

I loved this game. I remember thinking that I had never played anything like it at the time. Brilliant game! I probably will get this.

Agent721

Agent721 said:

This was a great game I had totally forgotten about! This is the game that got me into PoP. I can't wait to play it again!

vonseux

vonseux said:

Godamm im trying to save money for Shovel Knight... this will be hard to skip

3dcaleb

3dcaleb said:

anybody else in NA tried to find it on the eshop and see it described as: 10 mini-games with 100 levels, showing what retro computer games were like? or something like that? the lat time i played it i was a kid so this is a wrong desription right? i thought i remembered it as something else that i really liked. not mini-games.