Mario Kart TV Web App Goes Live

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

It actually works

One of the new features of Mario Kart 8 is the ability to save, edit and share video highlights through Mario Kart TV. As we reported yesterday, those that have received copies early didn't take long to start uploading highlights to YouTube and Miiverse.

The game is now out in Japan — in fact, Japanese gamers have had most of the day already with the new title — and Nintendo has launched its Mario Kart TV app, previously announced to shareholders after the most recent financial results briefing. You can take a look now by visiting https://mariokart.tv/.

So far it seems to be running fairly well, with a layout that works well on both PC and smart device. The opening page shows some movies playing in the background, while a menu button at the top takes you to the 'Movies' section or links to your regional official websites. Once you click in you can start viewing and playing videos which, in our initial tests at least, load pretty quickly; you can easily view the original video on YouTube or visit its Miiverse post by clicking on shortcuts, while likewise Twitter and Facebook icons redirect you to post links to your videos of choice. On top of that you can filter results by mode type, course or character, if there is — for example — a particular track that you want to watch.

You can do all this without logging in, though if you login with your Nintendo Network ID you can also view the videos of just those on your Friend List.

As yet the app doesn't include any Time Trial statistics, Tournament information or ranking details as shown in its reveal, but these may be added in updates.

Check it out and let us know what you think — Mario Kart.tv

Beechbone

Beechbone said:

@unrandomsam You don't really have to use it, ever. The game doesn't force you to use MKTV but I haven't seen an option to just remove it from menus or something.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

I really like the option, you can show off your racing and you can see other people's races. It's fun :)

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

I don't expect to use it much, but it's nice to see that if something really weird or comical will happen in my races I'll have a chance to replay, save and share it easily XP

For now however there is just a lot of envy eating me up, better go get busy till midnight >.<;

rjejr

rjejr said:

Nice web "site". I know it's technically an "app" but I still think most of the civilized world, myself included, reserves use of the term "app" for applications DL'd to smartphones, tablets, and the horrific Windows 8 interface formerly known as Metro.

Thanks for the link to the website.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

is there a way to improve the quality of the image?

@Haywired

Why do people care about watching people play soccer, football, hockey.. heck, look at games like League of Legends and Dota. Counter Strike. Why do people watch them play?

The answer is simple really, just to sit back, relax and enjoy.

Nik-Davies

Nik-Davies said:

Warning: To those who it may concern (a.k.a my Facebook friends), your news feeds are about to get plagued by my Mario Kart 8 footage

Chubblings

Chubblings said:

I've seen the videos from MKTV on YouTube, and the quality is good. Mind you not as good as a capture card quality, but still really good (especially since this is free, and Wii U capture card is expensive).

ryanator008

ryanator008 said:

If Nintendo wanted to be "hip" they could've made this a Modern Windows app since that's what's gonna be popular in five years or so.

themac2001

themac2001 said:

FINALLY! A VIDEO GAME NINTENDO LETS ME AND WANTS ME TO UPLOAD TO YOUTUBE! HALLELUJAH!

Murduskull

Murduskull said:

This is awesome, I didn't think it would be as cool as it is. The ppl complaining about a FREE App that u can use IF U WANT TO are ridiculous. When something funny happens in a race, now u can save it and share it, whats so wrong about that?

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

I never understood this concept. Who is interested in watching my highlights besides the people who were racing with me?