Capcom Hails "Explosive Popularity" of Monster Hunter 4

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies target "basically achieved"

It's no secret that Monster Hunter 4 has been a substantial success for Capcom, blowing away initial projections and now challenging for the crown of best-selling title in the franchise; it's sold 4.1 million copies in Japan alone, as of 31st March.

In its financial results briefing, which brought profits, Capcom highlighted the 3DS exclusive as a vital success for the company — it said the title had "displayed explosive popularity". It provided updates on other titles, too, including decent news for Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies, DuckTales: Remastered and the HD version of Resident Evil Revelations, though Monster Hunter Frontier G appears to have struggled following its most recent release on PS3 and Wii U. Below is an excerpt from the press release.

In the Digital Contents business, the featured title "Monster Hunter 4" (for Nintendo 3DS) was supported by overwhelming popularity, as mentioned above, and created a huge buzz even comparable to a sort of social phenomenon. Moreover, sales of "Dead Rising 3" (for Xbox One) that has been geared toward the European and U.S. markets, and "Resident Evil Revelations" (for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii U and PC) exceeded a million titles each and so three titles have become million-sellers.

b. In addition, "Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen" (for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360) showed firm sales while projected sales were basically achieved for "Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Dual Destinies" (for Nintendo 3DS).

Furthermore, full-game digital titles, which respond to changes in forms of distribution, contributed to the expansion of sales by growing significantly both at home and overseas in line with the progress in diversification of business models. This included the over-performance of "DuckTales: Remastered" for overseas in addition to the aforementioned "Monster Hunter 4" showing strong sales.

...d. Meanwhile, the online game "Monster Hunter Frontier G" (for PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Wii U) performed lower than anticipated, but the browser game "Onimusha Soul" which was distributed in Taiwan with the aim of expanding Capcom's business fields, garnered a great deal of attention and ranked first in popularity. This thereby marked the beginnings of gaining a foothold in the market for the local corporation, which was established two years ago.

Capcom is still emphasizing a desire to improve its performance in the mobile sector, though solid results for some console and portable titles will surely encourage more projects for these systems. There's no doubt also hope that Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate will bring more success for the series in the West.

[via capcom.co.jp, eurogamer.net]

Related Games

ikki5

ikki5 said:

They should Celebrate by bringing it to the West (and/or Wii U)

Chubblings

Chubblings said:

Yeah, bring Monster Hunter 4 Wii U. Wii U just seems like a better fit for it. Portability is great, but it looks better on a home console, and the controller is more comfortable (circle-pad pro feels awkward, yet playing Monster Hunter on 3DS without it makes the camera hard to control). And bring that new Ace Attorney Game with ancestors, because I loved Dual Destinies (and all the other entries except AA4).

Action51

Action51 said:

Such a shame nobody buys third party titles on Nintendo software, wait...:P

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Such a long wait for Monster Hunter 4. Already have this the 2014 Game of the Year out (Mario Golf), so hopefully that can tide me over on 3DS til the. Well that and my backlog which I gotta get to, lol.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Ok, if Ducktales Remastered overperformed, then I guess that we are due another one of those Disney remasters.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

Nice! Can't wait for MH4U to hit early next year! Been sinking hours into MH3U again lately — 100 hours over past week or two. Huge fan of the series and dying to play the next one. Here's also hoping for some kind of MH4 3DS XL bundle in NA.

Tops

Tops said:

More Ace Attorney please!! Still can't wait for Prof Layton vs Phoenix Wright!

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

It's so popular and you refuse to make it on the Wii U. Come on Capcom, stop smoking what you're smoking and get back to work.

erv

erv said:

Now bring monster hunter 4 ultimate to wii u at the same time as the ds one, please. Welcome to sales capcom:)

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Brachydios confirmed!....oh wait we already know about him....yeah I'm just bored. lol

Dizzard

Dizzard said:

Great news for Ace Attorney!

I guess it shows Nintendo fans WILL buy third party games if they're good enough.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@Action51

Whatever they want to work on it's fine for me. I just don't want Capcom backing off after they said that if DR sold well, others would come.

Metal_Slugger

Metal_Slugger said:

WiiU or probably no buy for me. I can barely see the gamepad let alone a tiny 3ds. The game is far to epic to be on some tiny screen. Its great it is though don't get me wrong. I don't need the 3 ds mafia on my case.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Action51

It's not that no one buys 3rd party titles on Nintendo consoles, it's that hardly anyone buys the AAA multiplats. 3rd party exclusives are a completely different story though. Which is why I always say, "The only good 3rd party support is exclusive support".

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

Congrats to them for their great results, but personally I just hope they will keep bringing Ace Attorney here. The fact dual destiny "only" achieved the predictions makes me worry... It's a positive data, but it's in the shadow of way bigger and much more amazing results (seriously, I can almost see the huge grins on their faces as they stated MH is basically a social phenomenon XD ).

FX102A

FX102A said:

@Gingadreadman I fear Megaman may live on only as a memory and in the spirit of its crowd funded homage.

Why they never did a digital release of X9 with SNES style graphics is beyond me.

Cyberbotv2

Cyberbotv2 said:

Maybe, this will bring about Capcom dropping RE 0-6 on the VC, with the pending arrival of RE7.

Carmona9798

Carmona9798 said:

Its better to put a big hit game on a big hit system like ps3 or xbox.we all know it will sell more on those systems the any wii type system!!