Video: Extended Mighty No. 9 Footage and Details Released

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Running, dashing, backward jumps and, of course, a death animation

In February we posted a video of Keiji Inafune testing Mighty No. 9, a short clip in which he seemed rather pleased with the work in progress. An extended version has now been released that shows a ledge climb animation, more of the background test and, right at the end, a demonstration of the death animation.

The developers have also used a recent update to outline some moves that Beck will have at his disposal, including a download dash and backward jump not shown in the video. In terms of the storyline, meanwhile, Beck is the ninth of his family, sent to deal with the other eight once they've begun their path of destruction; all to aid his creator currently called "Dr. White" — sneaky stuff, Comcept.

You can see the extended video below, which makes the April 2015 release on the Wii U and 3DS eShop stores — and various other platforms — feel like a long way off.

[via destructoid.com]

Warruz

Warruz said:

Doesnt seem that outlandish considering what they have now and still have an entire year.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

confirmed - this game has graphics

I am a little worried that Capcom might somehow veto this game at the 11th hour when they realise that it could do to Megaman what Football Manager did to Championship Manager. We've been told it's all rosy between the two parties but that's why I am worried.

noctowl

noctowl said:

Their terrible attitude towards wii u during the kickstarter just completely turns me off this game.

TreonsRealm

TreonsRealm said:

@Nintenjoe64 - I don't think there will be a problem. For one, Capcom has repeatedly shown that that had no desire to do anything with Mega Man and even if they did, their financial situation has made them quite impotent. Also, they have nothing to fight against seeing as the characters, levels and art are 100% original and belong to Comcept and Mr. Inafune. The engine also has nothing to do with Capcom so while the game may share similarities to Mega Man, it is in no way infringing on the IP. It would be like Nintendo going after anyone who makes a platform game where you run and jump. Lastly, it would be suicide for Capcom to try and shut this down considering that this is fan driven by Mega Man fans who would turn on the company and loudly boycott anything the company produced (again, something they could not afford to do considering their financial situation).

@noctowl - Out of curiosity, what was their attitude towards the Wii U? I didn't notice anything where they singled out the Wii U in a negative light, did I miss something? I'm just curious.

noctowl

noctowl said:

@TreonsRealm they never acknowledged it as a next gen system, and treated it like an 8 year old console, which simply isn't true.

I realize it's not on the same level as X1 and PS4, I get it. And maybe I'm being petty, but it just gets under my skin when devs, especially ones for 2D "indie" games don't understand the definition for "generation"

SamirMalik

SamirMalik said:

@noctowl you....oh brother. They are making the game for every platform under the modern sun and you are honestly offended by something that they never brought up? C'mon man!

noctowl

noctowl said:

@SamirMalik it was in the kickstarter, they classified wii u incorrectly. I emailed and tweeted at them for clarification and they never answered.

Like i said, it's childish. But I should get some points for at least admitting that, haha.

SamirMalik

SamirMalik said:

@noctowl Inafune is a busy man. He already has 4 projects in development (formerly Soul Sacrafice being 5). Do you honestly think that he has time to read every e-mail? And you call him and his company childish. Come! On!!!!

TreonsRealm

TreonsRealm said:

@noctowl - I guess I can see that but I never got the sense that they (Mr. Inafune or Comcept) singled out any of the machines in a negative light. The fact that their stretch goal put the Wii U version at the same goal as PS3/360 seems to be more reflective of the financial ease of putting the game on Wii U versus PS4/XBOne. As far as I have seen, they have never come out against Wii U and Mr. Inafune seems to have a pretty good relationship with Nintendo considering his 3DS support. While there are certain times to take up the fight against companies like EA, this doesn't seem to be one of those times. Also, their apparent lack of communication probably has more to do with them being very busy with 2 full new games and not having time to deal with how people perceive their attitude towards Wii U (I've backed quite a few projects and often have trouble getting through for this very reason and I completely understand). They knew that the Wii U would have a lot of Mega Man fans which is why it was included as one of the earliest stretch goals for console availability, not that they felt the machine was weak.

noctowl

noctowl said:

@SamirMalik well first I'm sure they hire people to answer email and tweets. He's not doing everything.

And second you misunderstood me. I'm calling my feelings childish, not him or his company.

GuSolarFlare

GuSolarFlare said:

man, that checkered floor!!!!!!!!!!
it's almost exactly the same as the tutorials in Kirby 64!!!! :O
Untitled
it all serves as a device for my HYPEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CrabGats

CrabGats said:

@noctowl ...why are you upset that Wii U was higher priority than PS4 and Xbox One? They weren't calling it a last gen console, it is just a different machine than it's competition, more similar to the last generation of game consoles, therefore making it more convenient to develop it's port alongside the ports for those consoles. We had a better chance at getting it from the start, you have NO reason to be upset. Would you rather have had it up higher on the list? You really aren't making a bit of sense, and you are a perfect example of awful Nintendo fans and the reason why I will not be surprised if third party developers stop making games for us.

WitchSugoi

WitchSugoi said:

@noctowl

You could look at it that way or you can look at it that they actually respect the Wii U as a viable console since they placed it as one of the earliest priorities with other consoles that were already out instead of giving it some insulting high stretch goal well above the PS4/XBO like other projects tend to do so they have an excuse not to make a Wii U version.

sevex

sevex said:

Looks like it's coming along nicely. And it's awesome to see how relaxed they all look, must be the result of not having to deal with a publisher.

I hope this game will have some of the Megaman X style depth. Secrets and upgrades and whatnot.

ValentineMeikin

ValentineMeikin said:

@sevez

If it didn't have some of the aspects of older Megaman games, People would be worried. One thing it HAS done is prove that it's not Mega Man 11...
The amount of new features added due to the stretch goals mean that it's left Mega Man in the dust.

BlackStar9000

BlackStar9000 said:

@Raycon that pic of the helmet all by itself is exactly how Crapcom is treating megaman and his mega dedicated fans, they need to just give him back to Inafune and ask for minor royalties for future games, its sad that the one who created the blue bomber cant actually use him. Its like taking my son and saying "you signed the contract, and know hes ours"

Squid

Squid said:

@noctowl I understand how you feel, I don't buy apples at a grocery store because they were put with the oranges.

Anyways it's nice that they're showing these little bits of progress but it never really feels like a whole lot to show us each time. The least they could do is let is see the screen a bit better. And dang, I assumed this would be done earlier than April 2015! :O

kuribo4

kuribo4 said:

I respect Inafune, but this shows he doesn't design these games. Credit goes to the guys behind him.

masterLEON

masterLEON said:

@kuribo4 He's been there already. 25 years ago he was one of those guys bringing up designs to his boss for approval and/or critique. Now he's the boss that's critiquing the work in progress. He knows they're doing the bulk of the work. He picked them [IntiCreates], after all. Actually, he seems very confident in their work.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@noctowl

What are you talking about? Wii U was one of the very first stretch goals on Kickstarter, right after PC and Mac. It was 3DS, Vita, PS4 and Xbox One that had the outrageous stretch goals, and were only hit by a late game money rush in the final 24 hours.

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

This game is looking absolutely fantastic so far. However there is a small part of me inside weeping that this isn't a new Megaman X....

Vriess

Vriess said:

That Rick guy is speaking Japanese... That's awesome! I already speak 4 languages and understand quite a lot of dialects in each of them, but Japanese...wow...that's a whole other thing! Wish I could speak Japanese. I'd have no direct use for it but it would be so cool!

Tysamu

Tysamu said:

I'm loving the fact that they are treating this as a passion project rather than a cash project like capcom would've. It especially amuses that the death animation has evolved so greatly compared to the 3D outings of megaman games. It still has that same... failing feel only now it's more intensified lol

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Great stuff. It is a long wait, but being a backer helps as there is more info.

For anyone saying he doesn't do the work... he is the designer of the game, What does he have to do to earn that title? Write thousands of lines of code, draw all the art, create all the character and background models, animate them, animate the effects, set up the lighting, create all the textures himself? I'd like to see this before 2036, thank you.

It's clearer when you read all the backer messages, but he has made decisions on everything, right down to designs of character's specific features, the feel of the controls, everything. Those people are nervously showing him how it is coming along and anything that doesn't feel right or work to his satisfaction is going to get a lot of work. (For instance, I think the dash wasn't fun enough according to him after this video...)

@noctowl
I understood you right up until you said "It's dumb to feel the way I do, I admit it. But it bugs me, so I won't buy the game."

You either don't believe it's actually dumb and are posing or you are actively choosing to punish yourself because you think you are dumb. Which is it?

toastyc12

toastyc12 said:

@noctowl Here's how I would understand it, they grouped the consoles together from a development point of view. The Wii U uses similar architecture to that of the X360 and PS3. (note: I'm not implying that means it's inferior to be referred to as next gen-- the Wii U certainly tackles what large marketing groups would refer to as Next-gen,(Sub note: since "Console generations" are just a marketing term in of itself) that of digital distribution, a Social platform.) I'm referring to ease of development.

Since the first version was developed for PC, you might think they were to pick the X86 consoles to port to first. Here lies the issue that, since those consoles were so new, they don't have as large of a userbase as the PPC platforms, which have been well established. I'm sure they considered each of the next gen consoles, and decided to write a Wii U port of the game, because it has the added benefit of sharing a hardware platform with two other large userbase consoles, and most of those players that are a fan of this serie's genre probably own a Wii U anyways. I imagine that they considered this, and decided to port to the Wii U as their first console of choice. (Frankly, this game belongs on at least a nintendo platform anyways)
Since the Wii U uses a similar architecture to that of the PS3, X360, it wouldn't cost nearly as much to write a port to these consoles, and as the three platforms have quite a large userbase, Inafune wouldn't have to worry much about a risk of his investment into the platforms.

The next funding goal is a no-brainer, since they have a lot more risk with developing for smaller platforms, it makes sense that they placed these higher on their goal scale, to minimize the risk if this game just so happened to completely bomb for the PS4, XB1, 3DS, and Vita. Since they raised enough money to support development, they have a lot less to worry about porting to those consoles.

(Post thought: I was initially upset because a port to the 3Ds wasn't a top priority, but I understood how hard it would be to port to the platform. I initially thought that if a port WERE to happen, it would only get ported to XB1, PS4, and MAYBE a Wii U port if I was lucky. I can't really see a reason to be upset over the Wii U being amongst the first console goal, if I were in your place, and wanted the Wii U port the most, I would be quite thrilled.)

@Kuribo4, Inafune actually has quite an important role in play.If you've ever worked on a project as part of a team-- work, school, you'll know that a lot of work has to go in to it from all members of the team. Inafune has designed nearly every part of this project, and manages who will work on what, while he is free to bounce around to different departments to help where he feels he is needed most. If you pulled a project off 100% by yourself, that wouldn't be a team effort. These other guys are simply showing the end result of the work they were assigned (which looks to be that of coding, development for the engine and basic gameplay mechanics.) Inafune helped with them in this area, of course, but he's not 100% responsible for ALL of the code. At the end of the day, when you gather around and show what you've done to contribute to the project, other team members have probably brainstormed some ideas to show Inafune, or they were assigned to "do what they do best" (Like tweaking the lighting engine ever so much just so it will be "perfect"). Just because Inafune didn't tweak the lighting engine himself doesnt mean he lost all of his credibility on this project.

kuribo4

kuribo4 said:

@toastyc12 They are explaining to him how to play the game. He isn't credited as director or designer, but project leader.
Even Kamiya described him as a businessman. That isn't true I think, but Inafune is far from being the director of this game.