Video: This Awesome Gerudo Valley Violin Cover Brings the Heat

Posted by Tim Latshaw

Desert thieves, for strings

We last checked in on violin virtuoso Taylor Davis after she released an inspiring medley of songs from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Since then, Davis has traded her Sheik outfit for a Goron Tunic, bringing her talents to an arrangement of the famed Gerudo Valley theme.

The video hits the trifecta: a stirring musical composition, a mesmerizing location, and a passionate performer. You can check out more of what Davis does, including her "Melodies of Hyrule: Music from the Legend of Zelda" album, on her website.

What tracks from Zelda titles do you think would make for great videos? Let us know in the comments.

[via destructoid.com]

ueI

ueI said:

I always liked this piece.
And her playing is top notch.
Though the video is really cheesy.

Gioku

Gioku said:

@uel I dunno, I thought the video was kinda neat. :)

...nothing beats Smooth Mcgroove's version in my mind, though.

I buttered it up!

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

Hmm Gerudo Valley is my favorite piece from Ocarina of Time, but I don't really care for this cover.

@Gioku Smooth McGroove for the win! His cover of Cornered from the Ace Attorney soundtrack is my favorite.

Falchion

Falchion said:

Why can't more attractive women dress up as Link, go to obscure locations and play amazing Zelda covers on the instrument of their choice? The world would be such a better place!

GamerFromJump

GamerFromJump said:

If they ever decide to do a Zelda entry with a female Link (no reason why not), they have a model to work from.

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

That was way cooler than I expected. A lot of people do VGM covers, but not many put so much soul into it. That was just plain rousing!

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

@SanderEvers Link and Zelda have arguably never been officially romantically connected, so I'm sure having a female Link and female Zelda wouldn't alter their relationship noticeably. Shoujo ai/yuri fanfic writers would have a field day, but the game's story itself wouldn't change.

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

Lol, yeah that was such a tease. Plus in pretty much every game, there's a strongly implied mutual attraction that's never quite addressed. As long as it's just implied though, gender-swapping one or both of them shouldn't make much of a difference.

tom_q

tom_q said:

I couldn't get more than 5 seconds into the actual theme due to the awkward cheesiness of the whole thing.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

Those Gerudo are going to hear her coming from a mile away...
But seriously, this is why we need a female Link! Fantastic cover.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

Defos my fav LoZ song of all time. That moment... Get thrown in jail... bunch a kick donkey women... hardest level in the world... but THAT MUSIC!
Please watch the profanity — TBD

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

The beginning is fine in concept, but was poorly edited. Seems they planned far too little to shoot for the opening. SO many awkward pauses. If it was just faster paced it would feel more fun than cheesy.

The music is nice and once it gets into the theme the cheesiness melts away. The arrangement is pretty good. The soloing and additions work well and it's careful to return to the well-known theme enough to fulfill nostalgic yearnings. :)

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Only Zelda track that is memorable to me as being really good is the Ballad of the Windfish but just the cello from it wouldn't be it needs all the instruments.

JellySplat

JellySplat said:

Totally awesome! I'm a huge fan of her work! There aren't many musicians who put SO MUCH soul into there covers.

Good Job!

Falchion

Falchion said:

@JellySplat She is definately a great musician and I am certainly not dissing her. Last time I checked attractive and creative are complements.

LoveFireEmblem

LoveFireEmblem said:

I absolutely love the music from OoT, which is one of my favorite games, this was a beautiful cover and i really enjoyed the chosen scenery, quite a nice touch.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Awesome! Not only is she a great violin player, but the video's are pretty cool to watch too! I like the enviroments that she shows!