Funky Kong's Return Confirmed for Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Nintendo is being suitably vague on whether he's playable

When quizzed on whether there would be a fifth playable character in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze at the recent VGX awards, Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime nudged and winked so enthusiastically — not literally, admittedly — that it was clear more tricks were up Nintendo's sleeve. Bizarrely, NoA has now used Twitter to confirm that Funky Kong will be in the new title, but has stopped short of saying he'll be playable.

We've been careful with our wording while we wait to know more, as the tweet in question is below.

Will Funky Kong be a means of moving between islands or taking shortcuts, will he run the shop now that Cranky Kong is diving into the action, or will he be playable? We'll try to find out but, we suspect, Nintendo will keep it under its oversized Mario hat for now.

Are you pleased that Funky Kong is coming to Tropical Freeze, and what role would you like him to play?

Tuurtledove

Tuurtledove said:

My little juvenile self was originally introduced to Funky Kong during the Mario Kart (Wii) days. And he certainly became my racing main for a fair number of days as of such. So I'm glad to hear he's making a return, And I'll interested in seeing what other upcoming games he may potentially make an appearance in
(Fingers Crossed For MarioKart.U)

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Nothing against Funky, but I think four characters is more than enough. If they want to add more playables, make them animal buddies.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

If I was a betting man, which I'm not, I'd wager he'll run the shop, as already mentioned. I don't think it'd be a disaster if he was playable, though, might be fun!

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

I love that Nintendo has treated us to news, new releases, DLC or the like almost every day during the holiday season. Even little things like this establish a good feeling from day to day.

Pichubby

Pichubby said:

Yeah, hope we can play as him, though if every playable character can go on dk's back, then I doubt he will, as they are about the same size. Maybe to choose between him and dk for 1 player?

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Funky runs the item shop according to GameXplain. I thought he was going to transport DK and gang around the worlds in his barrel plane like in the first two games, so I never thought about him being playable. The fifth character has to be small enough to ride on Donkey Kong's back, so Kiddy Kong may still appear.

DRLAdmin

DRL said:

One step closer to my predictions being accurate! My excitement level for this game is off the charts.

Captain_Balko

Captain_Balko said:

Almost certain he'll run the shop now that Cranky is playable. Probably the most well known non-playable character left, so it would only make sense.

KingofSaiyans

KingofSaiyans said:

My guess is he must be an unlockable character. Why make a tweet about a small detail if he isn't going to be playable in some shape or form?

jakysnakydx

jakysnakydx said:

@ricklongo amen brotha. Remember the days of 4+ rideable animals. I wish i remembered all their namess bit the rhino the ostrich tje spider and the sword fish! Comon!

Stubborn_Monkey

Stubborn_Monkey said:

Whoa, it seems that it's going to be released in Japan first.

Untitled

February 13th, a week earlier than anywhere else.

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

If he runs the shop, will he be selling fruit-launching guns like he did in DK64? Btw, i desperately want another DK game in the 64 style. I know there were flaws in it, but it was still a great game overall.

khululy

khululy said:

Funky would probably run a shop and/or transport around the Islands as he is too laid back to be bothered with traipsing about for a few bananas and what not.
I would love to see this game ported to the 3DS. As much I would like a wii U i'm more prone to pick up my handheld then start up a console and I adored DKC returns 3D. But I also wouldn't mind having a 3DS exclusive DK platformer for us handheld gamers,

JaxonH

Rattly the Snake
Squitter the Spider
Clapper the Seal
Glimmer the Angler Fish
Ellie the Elephant
Parry the Parallel Bird

Pretty sure that's all of them.

SMW

SMW said:

Good to see Funky back! I figured he'd be in as an NPC considering Cranky is playable. Now what about Swanky and of course, K. Rool?

Henmii

Henmii said:

When I saw the picture, the music from Funky's boat-hire (dkc 3) was playing in my head! Yeah for funky! I guess we need him to get from island to island, either with a plane or a boat, dkc 3 style!

2Sang

2Sang said:

I'd rather K Rool be a playable character, it would make much more sense because as far as we know he has nothing to do with the plot this time and he's a more important character than funky kong. If K Rool is the 5th playable character, I'll probably buy this somewhere down the road, but if not I won't bother.

allav866

allav866 said:

I wonder if there might be other Kongs on this game. I'd rather have Candy run the shop so Funky could be playable.

andreoni79

andreoni79 said:

Beat the game with every character and you'll unlock Mario in a gorilla suit! :) Why not?

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

yeah hope hes not playable i would rather see the animals make a return instead but its nice to know some old characters are coming back

Wolf_Link

Wolf_Link said:

Cmon! I really want king k. Rool in the story (playable or not ) as much as I want him in smash.