River City Ransom: Underground Dev Still Wants To Bring The Game To Nintendo Consoles

Posted by Damien McFerran

Smartphones, not so much

Conatus Creative's Kickstarter campaign for a new version of River City Ransom may have surpassed its original funding target, but it failed to meet the stretch goals which would secure a version for consoles — including the Wii U and 3DS.

River City Ransom: Underground is only certain for PC, Mac and Linux at present, but producer Daniel Crenna has revealed to Red Bull UK that consoles are still very much part of the team's plans:

We are looking at options for additional funding if we think we need more fuel to ensure we meet our goals, and to self-fund additional platforms we didn’t hit in our stretch goals.

Refreshingly, Crenna also admitted that he doesn't think the game would be a very good fit for smartphones — which rather goes against the modern trend of developers blindly flocking to touch screens without any real consideration for how games work minus buttons:

Beat’em up games can be horrible on touch screens. We’d have to really work to make our game sing on touch devices. We’re not ruling it out in the future, but we’ve prioritized our porting efforts around devices that will deliver a great multiplayer beat’em up experience, so for us that’s consoles and PCs.

Also revealed during the Red Bull UK interview is the fact that Yoshihisa Kishimoto — creator of the original game and Double Dragon — is involved with the project. Kishimoto said:

I'm very happy to see a renaissance of the belt-scroll genre which was our most popular and largest growing for the company. It's an important genre. I’m advising the team on artwork and story for the game.

Although the Kickstarter didn't quite cover the proposed Nintendo versions, it's encouraging to hear that the team is still committed to bringing the game to the widest possible audience. Hopefully the PC, Mac and Linux editions will sell well and give Conatus Creative the opportunity to port to consoles.

[via redbull.com]

JimLad

JimLad said:

I think it will happen eventually. Once this game is released I can see it easily making enough money to secure other versions.
I can't wait to get my backer rewards. :D

mch

mch said:

Would love to have it on the Wii U!
3ds of course too, just don´t see them doing the special effort for 3d-effects or dual screen use. Which is of course NO MUST.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

Wait. I'm confused. What exactly is this game? Isn't this basically a Kunio-kun game? Because we've been getting new entries of that series on the 3DS in Japan except the backgrounds are much more detailed and there's a lot of different playable characters. We just got a 3rd 3DS game in August.
So...what is this then? A different take by a different company? Why is this being done by on kickstarter is there's official games coming out in Japan that they can just localize?

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

That's nice of them, can't wait to see something in like, 2015. Annoying part about kickstarter, besides the whole asking us all for money thing, is that the games are no where near done and take forever.

JimLad

JimLad said:

@Tsuchinoko It's an officially licenced sequel to River City Ransom (Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari) made by a Canadian developer. Most Kunio-kun games never make it to the west sadly, hopefully if this game is a success they might start localising more of them.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@Tsuchinoko Not sure if its the same or not but I doubt it. These games were originally on the NES here in NA! Fun games at the time too. If it was the same I'm sure it would be eaiser to just localize them. What's funny is you would think they have more appeal on Nintendo systems anyways. Not sure how well they will do on the PC.

KevTastic84

KevTastic84 said:

Do enjoy owning the NES version of River City Ransom on my Wii, and the ex version on my GBA. Would like to have this on ether console

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

@Tsuchinoko It's a sequel to River City Ransom / Street Gangs, which is the western version of the Kunio-kun series. Pretty simple, really :)

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Even the original still has stuff like the sushi place. (As opposed to a burger joint or whatever).

I wish the PC Engine version existed in English. Many annoyances related just to the NES.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

X68000 has three enemies on screen dunno whether I am bothered about that. (Still not in English anyway so its a moot point).

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I can't imagine a Beat 'em up working on a phone, so I guess that's smart of them. I'm still holding out hope that I'll be able to get this on a console someday. I'm not a fan of playing fast-paced games on PC either.

JustinH

JustinH said:

Is it just me, or is it crazy that Red Bull of all things is doing some really good longform game journalism right now?

Anyway, really excited for this game. Hopefully the Monogame stuff is true and it'll be on Wii U.

PixelPerfect

PixelPerfect said:

Nintendo stated they lack a presence in the Indie scene and would like to remedy it. They need to acknowledge developers and games like this in order to really standout.

brucelebnd

brucelebnd said:

I hope it has good controls.

honestly I hope this comes to the Wii U and sells well. with any luck somebody will localize the 3DS kunio kun games.

JimLad

JimLad said:

@PixelPerfect Couldn't agree more. If they were really serious about indie games, they'd be funding guys like this to give them exclusive games.
Of course then they'd no longer be 'indie' but you know. :P