Dragon Quest Monsters 2 Dated for Japan, Alongside 3DS XL Model

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

So pretty...

Earlier in the year we directed your attention to the fact that Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Iru and Luca’s Wonderful Mysterious Keys was coming to the 3DS in Japan, a remake that incorporates the content of the two original iterations on the Game Boy Color. It'll feature over 800 new monsters, eight player multiplayer and various communication options for local and online.

Rather like with Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D, we currently have little hope of this new title coming to the West. Nevertheless Japanese gamers can be very happy, as Square Enix has confirmed a release date of 6th February; even better is the arrival of the attractive new 3DS model, pictured above and below. It'll include a copy of the game, naturally.

Franchise fans in the region may also be interested in the figurines that are on the way, which celebrate the 15th anniversary of this spin-off series.

It's all about that 3DS XL model however. On a scale of 1 to 10 — if you're not based in Japan — and with 10 being "so envious I want to chew off my own arm", how jealous are you of this new design?

[via siliconera.com]

cookiex

cookiex said:

Japan has so many 3DS XL models they could build a whole robot army with them.

galetyler

galetyler said:

@cookiex you'll give away Nintendos secret plot to take over the world but seriously between the 3DS, 3DS XL and now the 2DS how many different versions including the themed ones have been released it has to be at least two dozen now

mookysam

mookysam said:

That's possibly the most awesome 3DS design yet. On another note Europe needs Dragon Quest VII!

ikki5

ikki5 said:

Got my Zelda 3DS XL pre-ordered, I'm happy, don't need any others :D

FishieFish

FishieFish said:

I don't really care for DG so I don't care much.

I might pick up the Luigi 3DS XL though.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

A numbered, non-MMO Dragon Quest entry for the Wii U would get me all giddy. Come on, Square Enix!

Falchion

Falchion said:

9. Sometimes i wish i lived in japan, and usually its because of dragon quest. Its not like i would buy it though, so i would b just as envious if i lived there. I guess my launch black 3ds will have to suffice...

fchinaski

fchinaski said:

@unrandomsam Yeah, that's what bothers me the most. But I reckon that they will put the original PS1 version on iOS and Android, and not the 3DS remake.

Captain_Balko

Captain_Balko said:

OH MY GOD I WANT THIS SO MUCH!

DQM2 was the game that made me love Dragon Quest. I had it for GBC. Such a great game, I figure we'll never get the 3DS or key-chains, but PLEASE, just let us have the game...

Why don't they just localize it and release it on the eShop? They're bound to make some money on that, there is a decent DQ fanbase here. Start with the first DQM remake for 3DS, then give us VII, then this... PLEASE.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

Where the hell is Dragon Quest VII? It is by far one of my most wanted games. D*** it, S-E! Bring it to the West!! (Yeah, I'm a bit pissed off)

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

10. 10. 10. What is possibly my favourite game of all time is being remade for the 3DS, and has as little chance of being localised as the other three 3DS games of Dragon Quest, one of my favourite series ever. Not to mention that 3DS looks awesome. My feelings are pretty self explanatory. D:

letsplay

letsplay said:

Lets release the entire Dragon Warrior series on Wii U and 3DS. I only played the first one years ago.

I didn't realize Dragon Warrior 4-9 is already on the DS.

Uberchu

Uberchu said:

10/10 would chew off my own arm.

XD Just kidding somebody had to do that though.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@Geonjaha
Amen to that, I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it my favorite game ever, but its definitely my favorite in the series. To add insult to injury they're even porting DQI-VIII to mobile as well.

What baffles me is its not like DQ is some obscure, Japan only franchise, its probably their second biggest.

Player4

Player4 said:

I needs my Dragon Quest right meow!!!
(I'm sorry, there's a cat sitting right next to me, please don't judge)

But yeah, I'd say 9. HOW CAN I GAME WITHOUT MY ARM?!

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

@Zombie_Barioth - Well in reality its probably not my favourite game of all time, but it's my favourite GBC game, and definitely my favourite in the series. I had to make it seem like chewing off my arm would have been worth it though! :o

The problem is that sales of Dragon Quest games here in the West are never even close to as good as in Japan, and following what were apparently dissapointing sales of the DS games, we may not see a lot of the new games. There's an excellent article on usgamer I found which sums it all up very depressingly. :(

Nomad

Nomad said:

That is one sweet looking 3DS! 10/10 from me. Where the hell are our 3DS DragonQuest games by the way. C'mon Square, how long does it take?

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

I bought red 3DS LL/XL two weeks too early. Never could've even imagined Nintendo would release the Luigi limited edition 3DS LL/XL in Europe.

Not going to buy it again however, would need to sell the red one then.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@Geonjaha
Yea, I know Dragon Quest has never been that big outside Japan, but what I mean is that it baffles me that they can't somehow make it work. I keep getting the feeling these big companies don't know how to handle anything that isn't a big seller anymore, not that these kind of games don't make money. They make money, just "not enough". What happened to the AAA model being unsustainable? That and handhelds being suitable for niche games.

As far as why the series doesn't sell well, I think its just this kind of game is too old school for a lot of people. Its actually a lot like the Mana series, another Square game thats far less story heavy than Final Fantasy and had similar problems.

LordGeovanni

LordGeovanni said:

Your question? 1-to-10? 10.

Now excuse me, I need to write another "strongly worded" email to Squareenix...

MuchoMochi

MuchoMochi said:

Is there any chance that this could come to America?!?! I mean come on Nintendo you are coasting on a tidal wave 3DS money right now, bring that system out here that's the best looking Limited Edition XL I've seen so far.