Two Tribes Confirms Details of Three Titles in Wii U Classics Range, All Hitting This Year

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

There's some serious value on offer

It's been no secret that Two Tribes, which has recently seen a surge in Wii U eShop sales with the excellent Toki Tori 2+, has been planning a Classics range for the Wii U eShop, including titles familiar to Nintendo gamers and a couple that will be new to some. The details have been revealed today and, it has to be said, they look like rather tempting offerings.

First up is the HD return of WiiWare title Toki Tori, which contains plenty of self-contained puzzle stages to take on — it'll have optional touchscreen controls, off-TV play and includes the Portal 2 ARG content enjoyed on other platforms; it's due this month.

Next is EDGE, a puzzle platformer where you negotiate a cube to safety across various courses. Due in November, its highlights include a retro soundtrack and the inclusion of the EDGE Extended content, while it'll run at 1080p and 60 frames per second; it'll arrive in November.

Finally we have RUSH, which involves directing cubes towards colour co-ordinated goals but, unlike EDGE, places a greater emphasis on planning and puzzle solving. Like Toki Tori it'll include off-TV play and Portal 2 ARG content, while touch controls will replicate the precision needed with the mouse on PC; it'll arrive in December.

The pricing is the same across all of these titles, with both North America and Europe in line for releases in these windows — Australia is not yet confirmed for all three. There'll be a special launch price — the duration of which is still undecided — of $1.99 / €1.99 / £1.80, and after that introductory offer the pricing will revert to $3.99 / €3.99 / £3.59. The studio's Collin van Ginkel has given us the following statement regarding these announcements.

After finishing Toki Tori 2, it was a no-brainer for us to bring our back-catalog to the Wii U as well. They are based on the PC versions and we've spent quite some time making sure the games feel right at home on Wii U.

We'll have advance previews of Toki Tori and EDGE on Wii U with you very soon, but what do you think of this Classics range. Are you tempted to pick these up?

[via twotribes.com]

Related Games

erv

erv said:

2 euros? I'm probably buying my 5th instalment of toki tori soon...

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

They're not Nintendo titles, so we can probably assume that they'll actually release on time.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

Weren't 2/3 of these already confirmed? Will get Toki Tori and buy Toki Tori 2 if I like it.
I have been trying to decide which Wiiware game to buy on my Wii U to play on gamepad while watching the Champion's League tonight. Please help me decide between:
Sonic 4
Contra Rebirth
Castlevania Rebirth
I couldn't believe just how many other decent Wiiware games were languishing in their catalogue.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I think Toki Tori will feel like quite a step backwards after just finishing 2+ but for $1.99 I'll pick it up. Don't know about the other 2, but I'll read the reviews.

Any word on the 2+ level editor?

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

@Nintenjoe64 Castlevania Rebirth for sure, it's incredible! Contra is pretty good as well, but Sonic 4 is a disappointment in my opinion (played it on PC).

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Nintenjoe64 I think they all were, in fact Two Tribes had named all three in an interview with us, among other places. Today was the first time we had solid release windows and prices, or the "details" ;)

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

Just finished up the gameboy version of Toki Tori not too long ago. I'm guessing porting and developing for Wii U must be pretty painless after getting used to the hardware. I wonder if were going to see other developers do this as well.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

@Nintenjoe64 I vote Sonic 4, though out of those three, Sonic 4 is the only one I've played :P

I'm very happy to hear about these great deals, I'm definitely buying them all again so I can finally finish them on Wii U :D Such great deals, very hard to resist :D I'm going on holiday in October though, I hope the launch price of Toki Tori 1 starts before or after my holiday, or at least the deal lasts two weeks. Though if Nintendo had've made off-console eShop buying possible I wouldn't have to worry about it. But then again its not that big a deal, I'll just buy Toki Tori 1 later or never as I do have it on WiiWare anyway, just wanted to buy it again to support the developers & its a good deal :)

Edit: I also hope all three come to the Australian eShop, be good to add to my premium points, though I'll still get them even if they don't come to the Aussie eShop.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Nintenjoe64 If you haven't played Rondo of Blood you will probably like the Adventure Rebirth otherwise it will more than likely be a disappointment. Contra only has two levels that are really good one that is ok and the rest are mediocre also you have to start from the beginning every time. (If you stop playing - you can continue.)

onlyaman

onlyaman said:

I've been playing through all three of these on Steam- there was a very cheap bundle a while back. Despite the polished up visuals (and annoying music), TT1 definitely still feels like a Gameboy game. It reminds me of Catrap... not a bad thing. EDGE and RUSH are pretty fun and share a nice "Art Style" aesthetic. EDGE is more or less an isometric puzzle platformer... not so hard once you wrap your head around the controls.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Will be getting all 3. The prices are great regardless, but I'll try to ensure I have the cash to get them on sale!
Thanks Two Tribes!

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I have to admit not being the biggest Toki Tori fan and bought it on WiiWare mainly because there wasn't much else available at the time. The other two puzzle games I will totally buy at launch, however.

Sceptic

Sceptic said:

Great news. RUSH is awesome. Ceterum censeo: Screw you Nintendo for not even managing what a bunch of indies can do in a few months' work.

ueI

ueI said:

Toki Tori was 1,000 points.
Now it's $3.99.
I'll be buying it.

bofis

bofis said:

For $2 I'm sold...especially since I already own these titles on Steam

hcfwesker

hcfwesker said:

Niiiiiiiice! I was ready to repay $10 for Toki Tori 1 on eShop, but $2 is a steal!

CrabGats

CrabGats said:

For the record, Toki Tori 2 was delayed, guys.

I'm exctied for RUSH, I'll probably give EDGE a shot.