Exclusive: Pure Chess eShop Releases To Feature Cross-Platform Multiplayer

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Wii U and 3DS playable with each other and smartphone / tablet players

Earlier this week Ripstone confirmed details of both Knytt Underground and Pure Chess coming to the Wii U eShop, with the latter also on its way to the 3DS eShop. Ripstone works with various small developers to bring their titles to multiple systems, and is one of a solid number of European and Australian developers recently confirmed to be publishing games on the eShop platforms.

We've been chatting to Ripstone's Co-Founder and Creative Director, Phil Gaskell, about both games and their journey to Nintendo's platforms, and he told us about an exciting feature for Pure Chess on both the Wii U and 3DS. The eShop versions will feature an improved — and quicker — "play by mail" multiplayer feature, but these versions will not only allow cross-platform play between the Wii U and 3DS, but also with players on smartphone / tablet versions.

Through the use of our own servers we've significantly enhanced the multiplayer since launching on PSN so it's a much slicker experience. Even though the play is asynchronous it works much more seamlessly now, more like live online. As soon as one of you leaves the game it doesn't matter, you can carry on over a longer period sending moves to each other like a true play-by-mail game. But it doesn't end there. I can exclusively reveal that the game supports cross-platform play. That means that not only can Wii U players play against 3DS players, but they will also be able to play against tablet and smartphone players too! All they will need to do is register in game for a Pure Chess account (a process we've made as simple, safe and easy as possible) and then start issuing challenges to their friends or even to strangers on the ranking boards! The beauty of registering for a Pure Chess account is if you own both the smartphone/tablet and console versions you can log in and continue your multiplayer game on any of those devices seamlessly.

This is similar, in principle, to the cross-platform play that Nnooo is implementing with Cubemen 2, and is further evidence of Nintendo being willing to open up Nintendo Network play with PC and iOS / Android platforms.

In addition, Gaskell revealed to us that the Wii U version of Knytt Underground will include the Infinity Hype update currently in development for the PC version; the Wii U will be the only home console with this content.

A major positive is that Ripstone, which has published a number of critically acclaimed titles on multiple platforms, is factoring the Wii U into plenty of future projects.

We've nothing specific to announce at this stage but I can tell you that we are working on several titles for 2014 and a Wii U version is in the plan for each of those games. Watch this space!!

Be sure to check back on Nintendo Life tomorrow for the full, in-depth interview. In the meantime, what do you think of the cross-platform play in Pure Chess and the extra DLC for Knytt Underground? Let us know in the comments below.

Related Games

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

Home consoles playing against other home consoles playing against phone users? Now that's next gen thinking.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

Nice! We need more games that can connect with other consoles online. So we can get more people to face online when there's only a few people on Wii U who have said game.

SethADrekin

SethADrekin said:

Out of every policy change Nintendo has Made with the Wii U, this is by far the best one yet. Allowing Developers to Pit Wii U players against other platforms is a brilliant way to stomp out that pesky lack of an Online Multiplayer Community Problem.

Someone should petition Activision to make Call of Duty: Ghosts PC + Wii U Multiplayer.

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

This Chess game becomes more and more interesting, I like the idea of a "spotpass chess"

SethADrekin

SethADrekin said:

@ranger I think if they did cross platform Multiplayer on Wii U, people would actually buy the game. CoD is only good for online multiplayer and Wii U alone doesn't have enough people.

kondabasu

kondabasu said:

@Aqueous Yes! StreetPass opens up all sorts of possibilities for a 3DS version of Clubhouse Games. Not sure that'll ever happen, but it'd be neat!

DeathlyDarkness

DeathlyDarkness said:

Just... Incredibly awesome. So going to buy this. It's Chess. It's 3DS and WiiU and smartphones and tablets. Holy crap. :O

More developers should do this!

element187

element187 said:

I'm so looking forward to Pure Chess on Wii U.

But why did they put a version up on PSN, do dudebro gamers play chess? I keed I keed

element187

element187 said:

@mariobro4 its sad that more multiplatform games cannot play against other platforms. Call of Duty would be the perfect game to have cross platform multiplayer.

element187

element187 said:

@Macarony64 The reason why online games don't play across platforms have more to do with politics of these platform holders than it does with the technology.

I can understand not pitting PC gamers against console gamers in a shooter, because the Mouse/KB master race would absolutely wreck shop on the console, twin stick gamers.... but Sony doesn't want their customers playing against xBox customers and vice versa. they believe you should have to buy the Sony edition if you want to play against your Sony owning friends. And Microsoft wants you to purchase the xbox edition to play against your xbox owning friends.

It would be pretty dope if we could get around that. Apparently Nintendo doesn't think its a bad idea to open it up.

Klimbatize

Klimbatize said:

That's pretty cool.

All this talk is making me want to pick chess again. We need a tourney or something.

BATRA

BATRA said:

I WILL BUY PURE CHESS AND I LOVE TO PLAY CHESS PLEASE BRING IT TO THE USA TO THE WII U AND 3DS I'M A REAL CHESS PLAYER

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

It should support ics and fics own servers won't work.

I use Mobialia Chess on an Android Tablet and it is pretty much perfect.
(And £2.49 - Timeseal works it is great).

LoZ4life98

LoZ4life98 said:

If this happened in more "hardcore" Wii U games like Black Ops and Assassin's Creed, the games multiplayer would actually be okay.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

Pure chess now got my attention. Sounds fun and I already got tired from the one clubhouse games has.

Tadness

Tadness said:

I'm more excited for Knytt Underground than I am for the chess game, but more games on Wii U is definitely a good thing.

RR529

RR529 said:

Sounds really good! I'll definitely look into it, once it's released!

Hale-Bopp

Hale-Bopp said:

I'm not really big on chess, but I really like this idea and might buy it anyways to show my support. I like the idea of not having to play a whole game in one sitting.

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

Cross platform multiplayer is the future of online gaming.

And in the case of Knytt, having the most complete version of an indie game that proved to be great on other systems gets my support easily.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Love chess, this is great! And there will be no shortage of people to play against!

MixMasterMudkip

MixMasterMudkip said:

Sweet! Didnt catch my eye in the sizzle reel, but now this is a most buy. Really hope it hits the state the same time as in Europe. This will be a great game to play with friends locally too. Cant wait! Also i wish big name devs would do this too. Don't care much for COD, but i wish they would do this for Arkham Orgins. Speaking of which is there a petition for to get that on wii u? If so can someone direct me to it?

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Great to hear. I hope this becomes a trend, that way it doesn't matter which system you buy a game on, you can still play with your friends.

kondabasu

kondabasu said:

@Aqueous Heh. Sorry, assumed you meant StreetPass; was picturing long-running games where turns are taken as you pass people you walk past every day.

But yes... SpotPass chess... very good. ;)

Shambo

Shambo said:

Imagine, being excited over a virtual chess game when you have several real ones... They managed to get me though, hope the price is right...

ccanfield1

ccanfield1 said:

Finally someone is putting a little extra effort into a Wii U release. I think the most exciting fact is the cross platform play between Nintendo and mobile devices. If this a sign of some things to come, I think it will be a great way to increase the number of players available online in multiplayer.

JuanitoShet

JuanitoShet said:

Woooow. This is unheard of! Crossplay between consoles, handhelds & smartphones & tablets. Well I'll be damned, that's really something right there. :o