Weirdness: Check Out This Brilliant Donkey Kong Stop-Motion Video

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

The mind boggles

Some YouTube videos dedicated to Nintendo games and franchises cross the boundary from happy enthusiast's amateur efforts to downright impressive, professional-level work. This stop-motion Donkey Kong video certainly fits in the latter category, with a lot of skill and hours no doubt needed to put it all together.

We're not sure you'll ever see a better use of beads and, apparently, over 1500 photos, all to recreate the original arcade NES port of Donkey Kong in all of its glory. It's a masterpiece courtesy of the guizdp channel; it really is a treat.

So check it out below, and don't forget that Donkey Kong is available on the Wii U Virtual Console for $0.30 / €0.30 / £0.30 until 13th August.

[via youtube.com, kotaku.com]

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Nice catch @Marioman64. Very impressive and he took the important step of making "mistakes" and letting it feel hand made. I kind of wish he did something besides slavishly copy the frame by frame of a actual game session BUT if he made all those beads this is a great fun thing to do with it. I have to take off one point for his facial hair grooming strategy however.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

The fact that the NES port is missing one stage surely took a couple of hours off him. Mighty impressive.

dadajo

dadajo said:

I don't know about you guys, but all I saw was those boxed megaman games (drools comes out of mouth), but seriously this was awesome.

SLiM

SLiM said:

Very cool video! I think I would just play a different game if my Donkey Kong cartridge wasn't working :D

Volmun

Volmun said:

very good animation! 8D lol nice to see ppl putting the efart in to animation still

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

So many of things like this online are clearly faked CG, so it's great to see something that's truly handmade and beautiful. Very awesome.

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

That was amazing. I don't even want to think about how long it took to do that.

iphys

iphys said:

Lol. If only he'd tried finger waggling the cartridge in the slot, he might have saved himself all that trouble.