Indie Point And Click Adventure Armikrog May Hit Wii U

Posted by Lee Meyer

It needs to reach its Kickstarter goal first

Pencil Test Studios has announced on the Kickstarter page for its upcoming adventure Armikrog that Nintendo of America reached out to them at E3 and expressed interest in the title coming to Wii U. While there are no concrete details or plans yet, here's what Pencil Test Studios had to say:

The development of Armikrog is being helmed by Doug TenNapel, who created characters like Earthworm Jim and the critically acclaimed adventure The Neverhood. The new title appears to be a traditional point and click adventure and will feature the voices of many established actors, such as Napoleon Dynamite's Jon Heder. There are five days left for the game's Kickstarter campaign and they have quite a ways to go before hitting their goal, so if this looks like something you're interested in, check it out.

Armikrog is currently only down for a PC, Mac and Linux release, but it appears the studio is open to the idea of bringing it to consoles. You can check out the game in the video below.

What do you think of Armikrog? How do you feel about Nintendo reaching out to indie developers running Kickstarter campaigns? Let us know in the comment section.

[via kickstarter.com]

supermage65

supermage65 said:

It looks enjoyably bizarre, and the Earthworm Jim aesthetic is wonderful. Shame it doesn't look like they'll make their goal at this point...

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

YES YES PLEASE YES. I'm extremely excited for this game.

I know they've still got a ways to go on their goal, but hopefully a lot of people will back it last-minute. They got off to such a strong start that I don't doubt it will happen.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

It reminds me of a very very old (PC ?) adventure game, entirely made with scanned clay figure animations, but i cant remember the name at the moment...
Even the character lookes pretty much the same.

mystman12

mystman12 said:

@Einherjar I think you're thinking of The Neverhood.

I really hope they reach the goal. I used to have the Neverhood, but it got thrown away because it creeped everyone in my family out. (including me) Now I wish I could play it, and wish I had at least sold it! Copies sell for around $50!

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

Guys, they are going to hit the goal. If you haven't ever done Kickstarter before, majority of the money comes at the very beginning and the very end. There is still time. I am confident this game will be made, so much so I have invested $250 in the kickstarter.

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

@mystman12 If you want to play the NEVERHOOD, contact me on facebook. I can get you a copy and tell you how to get it to work on Windows 7.

My facebook account name is Ranting Thespian

Also, I LOVE your name.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Looks pretty interesting! A claymation/stopmotion point and klick! The main-character immediately reminded me of earthworm Jim. Guess what, it's from someone who worked on Earthworm Jim!

BATRA

BATRA said:

i hate point and click games they should bring clay fighter for wii u

Ultra64

Ultra64 said:

NEVERHOOD Returns!!! I hope this is successful and i hope Nintendo puts some DEV money in these guys hands~

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

Yeah, Neverhood was the game i meant :) I sadly never played it, but i just love the visuals. Lets hope the best for this project.

cyphid

cyphid said:

Very excited to know Pencil Test is considering Wii U! I played the Neverhood far too much when I was a kid so a crowdfunded spiritual successor is awesome.

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

Just to let everyone know, Pencil Test Studios has officially become a licensed Wii U developer (even without Armikrog).

VideoVader

VideoVader said:

Thanks for the heads-up, RantingThespian! I found it in the comments section on the Kickstarter page (scroll down). http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1949537745/armikrog/comments

Pencil Test Studios, Inc.: "Just heard back from Nintendo (wow, that was fast!) Pencil Test Studios in now an officially licensed Nintendo Wii U developer!
-MikeD"

Lee Meyer, could you please update the article with this info? Thanks!

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

point&click adventure, my favorite oldschool genre. :)
looks great! i'm in for a wii u version.

Shambo

Shambo said:

haha that character reminded me of earthworm jim. the second i read it, it all made sense. i wish them all the best of luck, and almost-guarantee my support as soon as they'd release it. i love point and click. wii had a few greats, the ds screen is just a bit too small but still a few really nice ones, but wii u has all you need. big touch screen AND wiimote support? count me in!

VideoVader

VideoVader said:

@mystman12 Aw, I'm sorry to hear about the lost Neverhood copy! Well, instead of paying 50 for a new copy, how about paying 25 to pre-order Armikrog? It'll help us secure the game's release, and you'll have all of our deepest thanks! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1949537745/armikrog

@SKTTR As am I! But please be sure to drop by the Kickstarter page: there are only 5 days left, and we need all the help we can get for the final push! Thanks!

@Shambo We'd appreciate a few buck's support in advance, too. This way we make sure the Kickstarter succeeds so we can get the Wii U port! The deadline is the morning of June 27. Much appreciated!

Shambo

Shambo said:

@VideoVader i would like to if i could. i live in belgium, and have no credit card or anything alike, by choice.

but, let's say it does happen -which i sincerely hope, after re-watching the video over and over-, will it be on e-shop only, or will it get a retail or even collector's edition (in europe)?

VideoVader

VideoVader said:

@Shambo It will probably depend upon how much backing they get both by Nintendo and through the kickstarter, and since they've only just gotten the developers' license, they might not have done the math yet. I'll submit your question to the developers and post back here when I get an answer!

I do know that the Armikrog crew has been especially accommodating of Europeans, shifting funds to localize it into French, Italian, German and Spanish, and they're considering adding others like Russian, Persian, and Polish by popular demand (see the comments on the kickstarter page)

And don't worry if you can't donate or pre-order right now. We'd still very much appreciate if you could please spread the word about Armikrog on Wii U (also PC/Mac/Linus) to other Nintendo fans who don't yet know. Many thanks!

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

@DiSTANToblivion They are now a fully licensed Wii U developer. Someone who was in Nintendo pushed for them to be fastracked, and they were accepted in no time.

Also the game WILL be on the Wii U if the goal reaches $950,000 ($50,000 more than the initial goal).

Shambo

Shambo said:

@VideoVader I've shared a link on Facebook, hopefully it will help a little.
Maybe Nintendo themselves could jump in and get console exclusivity (not including pc and stuff) for their money.
Oh boy, do I wish this will get a retail Wii U edition...
Recently bought an Earthworm Jim action figure for my collection, loving it!

Pod

Pod said:

I'm a big fan of TenNapel's and I backed this game a couple weeks ago.

I upped my pledge when I read this. Luckily the extra stuff you get for each tier is pretty cool.

element187

element187 said:

"After E3 we were contacted by Nintendo and we're talking to them about the possibility of releasing Armikrog on the Wii U. There's nothing concrete to report yet, but we're encouraged by their interest and we'd like to see it happen."

Well thats nice to hear that Nintendo is out there actively courting indie developers, as they should.

This title looks interesting. I don't think there has been a claymation video game... so kudos for the originality.

Schprocket

Schprocket said:

These guys dropped the Wii U stretch target to $800k from $950k (unconfirmed - can't find my source again)

Originally thought this was theWii U target but I've crossed wires as well as lost the info...

They have 52 hours to go and only $80k (if $800k is true). There's a huge cross-section of gamers interested but for as little as pledging $15 for a Wii U digital download in return, I'm sure that these guys aren't anywhere near being beaten as suggested by earlier posters if the Wii U crowd get on-board.

Check out the conceptual designs for thew Wii U version and get behind them

Untitled

The indies want to support the Wii U, and we should be supporting them as much as possible ;)

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

Mike and Ed have said that if they don't reach the stretch goal to 950k, they will open a PayPal account to fund the Wii U version! So if the project reaches its initial goal, the Wii U version is in the bag!

Right now they are only about 75k shy of the 900k goal!!! However, this is the last day! If you haven't backed this project, please consider it now! If you have backed it, please consider increasing your pledge by as little as $5!

The goal is within reach! We can't let this project fail! We can't!