Guide: How to Spot Fake Paintings and Statues in Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Posted by Katy Ellis

Putting an end to Redd's 'crazy' ways

We've all been there before. You spot the infamous green tent in the town square with the words 'Black Market' hastily crossed out above the entrance. Inside, you also spot - no, it can't be - the Mona Lisa?! For a mere few thousand Bells you obviously buy it, and wait anxiously for the package to arrive in the mail the next day. You run to Blathers' museum to tell him you've bagged a Da Vinci, only to find - it's a fake. And the worst part is that llama down the recycling shop won't even give you a single Bell for it. What a nightmare.

Contrary to popular belief, you can't actually tell if the paintings or sculptures are fake by Redd's dialogue. Previously, Animal Crossing fans believed that if Redd looked mischievous while describing the item then it was definitely a fake, however Redd's reactions give no indication to the item's authenticity.

However, there is another way to tell whether an item is the real deal or not, and it's simply by looking at it. Animal Crossing: New Leaf gives players the option of changing the angle perspective, allowing you to get a close-up look at each of the items on sale. Below is a list of features for you to look out for next time you go to buy a painting or sculpture. We've included the names of the real paintings and sculptures so you can look them up before making a purchase, while the red text in each entry gives you a nice image to look at.

A special thanks to thonky.com's excellent guide for the key details below.

Paintings

Amazing Painting (The Night Watch - Rembrandt): In the fake version the man in black is standing to the right of the man in white.
Basic Painting (The Blue Boy - Thomas Gainsborough): The boy in the fake painting has both of his hands on his hips.
Calm Painting/Gentle Painting (A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte - Georges-Pierre Seurat): Good news! There is no fake version. Buy it!
Common Painting (The Gleaners - Jean-François Millet): Good news! There is no fake version. Buy it!
Dynamic Painting (Great Wave off Kanagawa - Hokusai): In the fake version Mt. Fuji is huge! It should be in the distance and look small in comparison to the big wave.
Famous Painting (Mona Lisa - Leonardo Da Vinci): Look very carefully at this one, as in the fake painting the woman's left hand (from her perspective) is above her right hand.
Fine Painting (Arearea - Paul Gaugin): Good news! There is no fake version. Buy it!
Flowery Painting (Sunflowers - Vincent van Gogh): Good news! There is no fake version. Buy it!
Graceful Painting (Beauty Looking Back - Hishikawa Moronobu): In the fake version the woman is looking to the left, but she should be looking over her right shoulder.
Jolly Painting (Summer - Giuseppe Arcimboldo): In the fake version the man has a nose made out of a carrot.
Moody Painting (The Sower - Jean-François Millet): Good news! There is no fake version. Buy it!
Moving Painting (The Birth of Venus - Sandro Botticelli): In the fake version the shell is upside down, it should be facing upwards.
Neutral Painting (Basket of Fruit - Caravaggio): Look very closely at this one, as it can be hard to spot, but in the fake painting the big leaf on the left will have a hole in it, as if it's been nibbled by bugs.
Nice Painting (Young Flautist - Édouard Manet): Good news! There is no fake version. Buy it!
Perfect Painting (Apples and Oranges - Paul Cézanne): Good news! There is no fake version. Buy it!
Proper Painting (A Bar at the Folies-Bergère - Édouard Manet): Good news! There is no fake version. Buy it!
Quaint Painting (The Milkmaid - Johannes Vermeer): In the fake version the woman isn't wearing the white bonnet.
Scary Painting (Otani Oniji II - Tōshūsai Sharaku): In the fake painting the man is only pointing one finger from each hand, when he should have all fingers extended in both hands.
Scenic Painting (The Hunters in the Snow - Pieter Bruegel): Good news! There is no fake version. Buy it!
Serene Painting (Lady with an Ermine - Leonardo Da Vinci): In the fake version the woman is holding a fluffy white kitten, instead of an ermine.
Solemn Painting (Las Meninas - Diego Velasquez): In the fake version the lady in the white dress is very tall, whereas in the real version she is a young, small girl.
Warm Painting (The Clothed Maja - Francisco Goya): Good news! There is no fake version. Buy it!
Wild Painting (Wind God and Thunder God - Tawaraya Sotatsu): The white God is on the right in the fake version.
Wistful Painting (Girl with a Pearl Earring - Johannes Vermeer): In the fake painting the girl is wearing a brown headscarf instead of a blue one.
Worthy Painting (Liberty Leading the People - Eugène Delacroix): Good news! There is no fake version. Buy it!

Statues

Ancient Statue (Dogū - Unknown): The fake version of the statue has its eyes open.
Beautiful Statue (Venus de Milo - Unknown): The fake statue has long hair.
Gallant Statue (David - Michaelangelo): The fake version of the statue has a towel over both shoulders.
Great Statue (King Kamehameha I - Thomas R. Gould): In the fake version the man is holding his hand with his palm facing downwards, rather than upwards.
Motherly Statue (Captoline Wolf - Unknown): In the fake version there is only one child beneath the wolf, when there should be two.
Mystic Statue (Bust of Nefertiti - Thutmose): The fake statue has a rounded crown.
Robust Statue (Discobolus of Myron - Unknown): In the fake version it looks like he's throwing a flying saucer, when it should be a smooth disc.
Valiant Statue (Nike of Samothrace - Unknown): The fake version of the statue has bat wings, instead of angel wings.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

I know this, yet I still don't take the time to look up the real works of art. lol

And now, time to see if what I bought from Redd yesterday turned out to be fake. D:

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

I don't usually cheat, but when I do, it's to beat the evil Redd at his own game.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

This character hasn't even shown up in my game yet... LOL

I'll keep an eye out

Captain_Balko

Captain_Balko said:

Awesome guide! So far I've been pretty lucky with Redd, but I was really worried whenever I bought something from him. So it's good that I have a way of knowing what is real and what is not. I'll have my museum complete in NO TIME! Just you wait, Blathers, our little museum is going to turn into the Smithsonian of the Animal Crossing world!

rdenton85

rdenton85 said:

Damn this will help loads. I just bought a Scary Painting earlier but can't remember how it looked :(

Than64

Than64 said:

Well this is certainly helpful. Redd has been busting my gentles for years! I never thought the rumors about his language and demeanor were true. Now its time to drop some knowledge on the little fox. Of course, I'll probably always buy the paintings and statues anyway ;-)

Mowzle

Mowzle said:

Thanks Katy (and thonky.com) for such a comprehensive guide. Redd arrived yesterday, the second day in my game. Have played Wild World, so I was pretty cautious, but I bought the ancient statue as I decided I might display it in my home later if it was fake (I'm not the proud sort), but he now sends them in the post so I'm still waiting. Probably posts items so you can't go back and attack him with a shovel when Blathers says "no".
Curiously, he had the Warm Painting which I did not purchase, but I was unable to manipulate the viewing angle sufficiently to get a good view of another which had its' back to the tent door. I think he's already wised up to that one!
:D

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

Second day in and I've been conned by Redd. Grrr...

Thanks heaps for this guide adds to bookmarks.

mikeyman64

mikeyman64 said:

Wow. I was going to look this up or try to figure it out myself. Thanks NL for saving me the trouble. :D

NintendoGirl

NintendoGirl said:

I bought the Gallant Statue and it ended up a fake. I spent almost 5000 bells on that thing. -_-

puddinggirl

puddinggirl said:

Wow, this game still amazes me at its attention to details even after 2 weeks of playing it.

Gioku

Gioku said:

He's only showed up once for me, and already he gave me a forgery! >.<

Thanks for the guide! :)

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

Yesterday (My first day!) his tent was around. I spotted two fake paintings and two others that didn't have fakes. I picked one of those two up.

FadedSun

FadedSun said:

I bought the Mona Lisa and it was a fake :( Now I don't know what to do with it.

Lobster

Lobster said:

Just so you know, as far as I can tell, he has THREE fakes and ONE good item per visit*. It's tough! I almost bought the Wistful Painting yesterday but caught myself in time - that one is subtle. The real one of that batch was the Venus de Milo and it is currently in my museum! :D
*Source: Multiple Redd visits in New Leaf.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

Unfortunately, Redd still hasn't stopped by my town yet, so while my insect, fish and fossil exhibits continue to balloon in size, my art exhibit (authentic or otherwise) remains cavernous, barren and sad.

Emaan

Emaan said:

Crazy Redd's at it again >:0
It seems I purchased a fake, wow thanks. :p

Mr-DNA

Mr-DNA said:

I don't even own this game and I want to go to Redd's in search of a fake Nike with bat wings.

mantez

mantez said:

I bought the Mona Lisa yesterday, got it this morning and it was a fake. I will have to try again next time.

BlueNitrous

BlueNitrous said:

First time I got a fake amazing painting, but thanks to you guys I got a real scary painting!

TheHunter

TheHunter said:

His eye sparkles when he tells you the price of a fake. It's worked for me multiple times.

H_Hunter

H_Hunter said:

Thanks but this would be more helpful if you put it in a chart with pictures of all the paintings and statues

mullen

mullen said:

I once saw Japanese official guide book and it contains all the pictures of real and fake ones. Unfortunately in English version, the guide book only contains real version.

Oceanous

Oceanous said:

I bought one painting because it was one of the famous Japanese painting called "The Great Wave off Kanagawa".
I've always liked that particular painting and I was surprised to see that showed up when I went into the tent. Needless to say, I bought it for my house. So I don't really care whether it's fake or not because I'm not going to sell it anyway.

Besides, I'm planning on collecting as many Japanese themed items as I can so it was a good start, fake or not. ;-)

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

I got Crazy Redd in today, and he had a Mystic Statue, Neutral Painting, Quaint Painting and Moody Painting.
They were all fakes though, except for the Moody Painting which has no fake so I bought that.

Oren

Oren said:

Just read this article after buying my first painting from Redd and waddya know it's fake! Still looks all kinds of awesome on my wall though....

SennaKurosaki

SennaKurosaki said:

Oh oh, I just bought a painting from Redd this morning. Well, I guess I'll find out tomorrow whether I've thrown away around 3800 Bells or not. I should've read this article first.

BrittGOAL14

BrittGOAL14 said:

Crap. Bought something earlier and didn't check... I'll find out tomorrow if it's fake. :/

Mario-Kirby

Mario-Kirby said:

I just bought something while looking at this article, then as I left Redd's I looked at an actual picture of the painting I bought. I went back in to check, and... yep, it's a fake. All of the art was fake. There goes 4,000 bells.

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

Still using this guide. Slowly getting all the art even though I've had the game since day one, lol