Shantae 3DS Virtual Console Release Confirmed for 20th June

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Hitting North America, Europe, Australia and New Zealand

After tweeting over the weekend to promise that the Shantae 3DS Virtual Console release was all set for confirmation, WayForward has posted a new blog entry (curiously dated 17th May) confirming that the title will land in all regions on 20th June.

The news was confirmed in the studio's own style, as you can see from the excerpt below.

This beloved bit of gaming history was previously only available in North America. Not this time! Shantae will be making appearances in North America, Europe, Australia, and New Zealand; wherever good times are had. Unfortunately we will not be able to announce a specific release date (June 20th) at this time. Check back angrily and often at www.wayforward.com to discover the Shantae's secret release date (that's June 20th) in the days and weeks ahead. See you on June 20th!

As a previously limited retail release on Game Boy Colour, the subsequent popularity of Shantae: Risky's Revenge on DSiWare and the anticipation for Shantae And The Pirate's Curse on the 3DS eShop will certainly gain this original some attention.

So, who's already planning to download this in a month's time?

[via wayforward.com]

CapnPancakes

CapnPancakes said:

Sweet, I'll be downloading it as soon as it comes out. Now we need a release date for Shantae and the Pirate's Curse.

Lostog

Lostog said:

the title is wrong: as stated in the announcement, the release date (june 20th) is a secret. so there was no confirmation at all for the release date (june 20th).

RR529

RR529 said:

At least this means I'll be able to save up for it. With THE STARSHIP DAMREY, Zelda: Oracle of Ages, Zelda: Oracle of Seasons, and Denpa Men 2 hitting this month, I'm having more than I can afford :P

Kaboom

Kaboom said:

In hindsight, perhaps negotiating and securing the international release would explain the delay.

Denkou

Denkou said:

I wish they would give us the official release date of June 20th. Unfortunately, strict policies prevent them from telling us that the release date is June 20th.

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

Shantae for DsiWare is a great game and I'm a fan of WayForward, can't wait to play the first adventure of our beloved morphing genie :)

A shame however that they are keeping the release date secret T.T

RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle said:

Been looking forward to trying this. I've been holding off getting the sequel until I played the first one. Now I will buy both (if the first one is good).

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Sweet. Been waiting for this one so I can get the DSi sequel and play that before the next one comes out.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

Yeah :D I'll be downloading this as well. I've only played it briefly on a GBC emulator, but it was glitchy. Looking forward to spending some proper time with it. I've played through Risky's Revenge already and it was brilliant. :)

OracleOfTruth

OracleOfTruth said:

Excellent! It's coming at the perfect time, too. Should give allow me to recover from AC:NL and the Oracle games.

RetroGBHippie92

RetroGBHippie92 said:

@MeWario I was just going to complain too until I read your comment. What's the point of releasing the original, when the sequel ain't coming? It shoulda been on DSiware ages ago. I'll buy this game only if Wayforward publishes Risky's Revenge here

Bucho

Bucho said:

Finally a release date, i love Risky's Revenge and i will enjoy very much to experience where everything started. This IP is brilliant.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Sweet! I downloaded the sequel for an android phone but didn't really play it much . Will pick up the original, then buy the sequel on the eShop after that if I feel like it, then the 3rd. Can't wait! :D

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

First the Zelda Oracle games and now this! It's like Nintendo is reading my mind.

GBLUIGI

GBLUIGI said:

FINALLY having Shantae confirmed for a release date of 6/20/2013 is good enough news for me. I can't wait to get my hands on this game and play this half-genie's first adventure.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

The one that began them all. I will finally get my chance to see where the awesomeness began.

ZeroxGT

ZeroxGT said:

with this relasing this summer and the new game coming right behind it, I think ill have a nice time playing all 3 games in order for the fun of it