Precursor And Nintendo In "Constant" Contact Regarding Eternal Darkness Successor

Posted by Damien McFerran

"They have been very supportive of our endeavour"

Following the announcement of Eternal Darkness "spiritual successor" Shadow of the Eternals, many fans expressed concern regarding the game's link to the Silicon Knights' GameCube classic. If this was a true sequel — as the involvement of Denis Dyack would suggest — then why not call it Eternal Darkness 2? Some have even speculated that developer Precursor hasn't had permission from Nintendo to use the Eternal Darkness name.

However, Precursor has posted the following statement on its website:

We have been in constant communication with Nintendo, and they have been very supportive of our endeavour to bring this game to their platform.

While that's certainly not a confirmation that Nintendo is fully behind this title using the Eternal Darkness moniker, it does at least prove that the company is supportive of the venture. Perhaps we'll see a name change to Shadow of the Eternals: Eternal Darkness 2 at some point?

[via gonintendo.com]

Gavin_Rozee

Gavin_Rozee said:

Oh...

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

While I love Eternal Darkness I still find it shocking they need 1.5 million for episode one. If it was 1.5 million for all 12 episodes then I would feel a lot more comfortable backing the game but as it stands the goal is just too great for my liking.

originaljohn

originaljohn said:

It wont be called Eternal Darkness if the game is making its way to PC. As far as I know Nintendo own the rights to Eternal Darkness IP

Pikpikp

Pikpikp said:

Did anyone else see the Eye of Sauron in a pillar at the end of the trailer?

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

Shadow Of The Eternals is a good name. Even Eternal Darkness: Shadow Of The Eternals, none of this '2' crap. I just hope it's as good as Sanity's Requiem and Nintendo-exclusive like the first one was. If they can do it, like the original with as many mind-**cks and head-twists then this can ONLY be a good thing whatever they call it or what consoles it's on (as long as one of them is the WiiU).

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

Imagine if Nintendo announce an official Eternal Darkness 2 at e3! Hahaha!
That being said, i do think this looks pretty good.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

@Gavin_Rozee If this was a console exclusive I'm sure Nintendo would help publish the game.
However judging by interviews about it they are going for this crowd funded, system to enable increased interaction between developers and fans.

I'm in two minds about this project, I really want to support it and put faith in it, but the very fact that a game of this size has no publisher support and the stories I have heard about Dennis Dyack, as well as the track record of Silicon Knights, make me very sceptical of whether they will pull this off.
Combined with the "if you fund us you can give us your ideas of what content goes in the game and if it's popular we will put it in" sounds like trouble to me.

siavm

siavm said:

Since this is releasing on pc and wii u and they said if they get more funding and more support pass the goal price they would consider other platforms too. I am pretty sure that is why it is not called eternal darkness 2. Nintendo did recently renew the trademark so maybe they have their own team making a sequel. Who really knows what is going on though.

Araknie

Araknie said:

What's the matter? Sequels can't have a different title?

Killer is Dead is bad for that?
Nonsense.

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

MAN I forgot all about eternal darkness. Absolutely awesome game. Amazing visuals, controls, environments, plot, character. PLEASE virtual console Sanity's Requiem at some point. Also surely this IS eternal darkness 2, that blonde woman IS Alexander Roivas

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

This game HAS to release on Wii U as it is the Nintendo crowd that played and loved the original and will snap this up on day one

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Its knowing that games like this are on their way that make me forget about the stupid doom and gloom articles.

ThumperUK

ThumperUK said:

I would expect that Nintendo would demand the game be for WiiU only if they were to allow the Eternal Darkness name to be used. EIther way, so long as this does come to WiiU I'll be happy....I still occasionally dig out the original on my Gamecube.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

Hopefully this game can reach its crowdfunding goal. Their goal is quite a stretch but it could happen.

Wildfire

Wildfire said:

Oh the memories! I loved Eternal Darkness on Game Cube so I hope they reach their goal! I'm really pumped to play this on my Wii U!

Peach64

Peach64 said:

People please do your research before donating to this hack. Even this kickstarter seems dodgy. One of their donation rewards is for episodes 1-5, but the 1.5 million will only be enough to fund episode 1. They'll be asking for donations all over again for episode 2, even though most will already have been promised it during THIS kickstarter.

scottsensei

scottsensei said:

Considering the recent run of games that aim for the hundred thousand range, 1.5 million seems.....peculiar. Heck, the Ouya didn't even ask for that much and that's a game system.

Pod

Pod said:

The worlds are reminiscent but ever so slightly different, with new characters and probably a different battle mechanic and enemy concepts.

I'm generally a fan of re-imaginings rather than straight up numbered sequels, so the lack of the Eternal Darkness moniker doesn't bring this old guy down.

...still thinking hard about how much I should pledge.

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

@Peach64 We'll see if that warning turns out true.

I gotta be honest... 1.5 million is the second loftiest Totally-Not-Kickstarter goal I've ever seen, after that Veronica Mars movie. 1.5 million. In 30 days. Really? I'm not slamming this game, I'm excited as hell that there's an Eternal Darkness spiritual successor coming, but the limits seem beyond ridiculous.

Or, to put it another way, this... can't... be... HAPPENING! But, hey, I'll support in due time.

Tra_Venous

Tra_Venous said:

CryEngine 3 on Wii U; looks pretty darn good I must say. Hopefully the kickstarter keeps up its momentum...on the other hand, what if the kickstarter fails and Nintendo contacts them about fully funding the title? This kickstarter ends just days prior to E3, maybe that's why Nintendo's in constant contact...a plan B.

mii-gamer

mii-gamer said:

shouldn't the name change be eternal darkness 2: shadows of the eternal? it has a nice ring to it

zionich

zionich said:

Ill admit im ignorant to this fan funding thing. Is it we fund the developement, and then have to pay for the game with no return on the investment. If that is the case I find the whole idea to be complete garbage.

If the game had real demand investors would fund the project. Its just that they would get a return on there investment. Maybe the whole point of this kind of fund raising is to bypass this.

I hate to go political but its no different than me paying my taxes to support some people that are able but refuse to work.

All that said. I absolutely love Eternal Darkness to tge point I beat it all 3 ways for the ultimate ending. I havent done that for any game. Im not a platinum trophy, max game score, collect all the big coins or hearts person.

Ill support the game by buying it day 1.

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

@sonic-doom Agreed! Although perhaps still allow it to be on PC. They probably wouldn't allow that though.

This game looks absolutely amazing. That 9 mins or so of gameplay completely sold me already. I love the themes and the "is this real or not" motif.

MeddlingIdiotStaff

MeddlingIdiot said:

I'm one of the 'I hope this reaches its goal, but this guy isn't seeing a penny from me' crowd. Actually I hope it falls shy of the goal and Nintendo buys it out from them. I wonder if that's what Precursor are hoping too?

Peach64

Peach64 said:

If you read the Kotaku piece on SK, many employees said Dyack hated Nintendo having him on such a short leash, so I can't see him wanting them to fund it. I'm pretty sure that's the only way it would be good though. What I'd much rather see is for Nintendo to get someone else to make an actual Eternal Darkness 2.

element187

element187 said:

@Gavin_Rozee "So supportive that they're funding and publishing it like they did Eternal Darkness... oh"

Well apparently Nintendo was going to publish it until Epic Games brought a suit on silicon knights, and Nintendo backed off.

Maybe if the kickstarter is successful Nintendo might take notice in it..... OR these devs are just trying to pry money out of people so they can pay for the lawsuit they just lost to Epic.

TimoteiWest

TimoteiWest said:

I went and bought the full 12 episodes... though the day one momentum hasn't really carried on, I'm staying optimistic that the 1.5m total will get hit before the end of 30 days.

Loved eternal darkness but I really hope this doesn't go awry!

Melkaticox

Melkaticox said:

Great...
Now make it a Wii U exclusive, Nintendo. PC users don't need any more games.

Not to mention that's probably the only way this will end up being a good game... (Nintendo invented the sanity effects, after all, not Silicon Knights)

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

I don't even know what to think... It doesn't have the same feel to it as Eternal Darkness. It wouldn't make sense that the game is for PC either. If Nintendo takes over, I would expect this whole project would be scrapped and redone. They already own some of the properties of the game, but I think they'd rather work something out than jump on the sue train.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

This would be very interesting if the crowdfunding deal is just to gauge interest... and then Nintendo (or some other publisher) swoops in and helps fund the rest of it. Kind of like what happened with Cloudberry Kingdom (though to a much smaller degree) with Ubisoft publishing that.

I love me some Eternal Darkness. Not sure about this just yet. Hard for lightning to strike twice, you know.

Would love if Wii U put out some classic Gamecube games but with extra features, like New Play Control games on Wii or even 3D Classics on 3DS. Call 'em "Made for U" or something. Put in cool new Gamepad functionality, up-res graphics, miiverse integration. I'd re-buy a souped up version of Eternal Darkness for $29.99.

Yanchamaru

Yanchamaru said:

Why do they need 1.5 million dollars in only 30 days? Why not extend the timeframe for a year. This a vaporware written all over it

Gregor

Gregor said:

@SilentHunter382 let me answer your question with a a question. Was Eternal Darkness released on PC? Was eternal darkness a first party game? Why should its succsor not be exclusive?

klautrec

klautrec said:

I wanna play this game so bad! If it doesn't reach the goal, Nintendo should really make an exclusive deal and bring this game to Wii U with the Eternal Darkness name.

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

@Fusion14
Was Eternal Darkness released on PC? No
Was eternal darkness a first party game? Yes
Why should its succsor not be exclusive? Because if the game was only for the Wii U this backing would fall flat on its face. By release it for PC also it Increases the changes of the game getting back to get released.

Also if the game wants to be exclusive then Nintendo should publish it but since its being funded by the customers then they can decide the system it goes on. They even said that if the funding goes better then expected they may release it on the PS3 and 360.

Silverbullet89

Silverbullet89 said:

Awesome. I'm glad to know a sequel to one of the craziest games ever is on the way. I'm hoping the Wii U will bring us Nintendo gamers back to the glory days of the Gamecube. It may not have done so well in the eyes of Nintendo, but in my opinion it was Nintendo's best console with the best selection of games.

MiNiStRy

MiNiStRy said:

Why doesn't nintendo jump in and take over the game making it exclusive for wii u by backing it all the way?

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

I gotta feeling Nintendo is gonna step in and buy Precursor to make Shadow of the Eternals a Wii U exclusive.

9th_Sage

9th_Sage said:

I dunno man...I really do wish them well, but I don't have high hopes for a project Denis Dyack is involved in. Here's hoping he and Silicon Knights (because let's face it, Precursor is mostly Silicon Knights people) prove me wrong.

Nintendo4Lyfe

Nintendo4Lyfe said:

If the pledge doesn't bode well, I hope that Iwata-san makes his move and publish Shadow of the Eternals exclusively for the Wii U.

Melkaticox

Melkaticox said:

@MiNiStRy Sigh, Nintendo loves to make bad decisions regarding their games. They don't want to acquire any more studios for some reason...

zionich

zionich said:

@musashi Thanks for the link got to educate my self. Good to knoe that there are rewards tied into the donations.

Gregor

Gregor said:

@SilentHunter382 owch... I can take a PC version (Nintendo could quite easily make their own PC market if they wanted to, meaning it would still be exclusive) but the Xbox and PlayStation... That's hard for me to swallow.

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

Denis Dyack's involvment concerns me...but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm ignoring his recent troubles with Silicon Knights, and focus on the fact that he helped design the awesome Eternal Darkness and Twin Snakes. I can't wait for this game, and it's great news that Nintendo is actively involved with its development.

@MiNiStRy & Melkaticox - There could be numerous reasons why Nintendo chooses not to take over the project. It could be Dyack's iffy history. It could be that they have no available resources (or don't want to lend any). It could simply be a financial issue. Nintendo makes "bad decisions" with their games? How do you figure?

MiNiStRy

MiNiStRy said:

@Kage_88

That's exactly what I thought as nintendo have made so many mistakes with their games that this project if take over by them may not come to fruition

MiNiStRy

MiNiStRy said:

@Kage_88
Bad advertising and no support for extra content once the games released.
As this is one game that would definately warrant it.