Toki Tori 2 was on a number of Wii U eShop wishlists when it was pushed back from launch day to an early April release, and has delivered a substantial twist on the formula that gamers became accustomed to in the preceding Toki Tori releases. It's placed pretty well in the Wii U eShop charts in different regions, so it looks as though its fans have been happy to buy into the new approach of largely open exploration and puzzles reliant on visual cues with minimal guidance.
While it's certainly a title with merit, Two Tribes has confirmed that a first patch has been submitted to Nintendo for approval; it's hoped that it'll be available in the next two weeks. One aspect that's been improved is a common sticking point — which was also encountered in our Toki Tori 2 review — where it's easy to become rather confused on how to proceed; this isn't a case of puzzles being too hard, but a perception that the next step at this key point is too vague. Alongside improved cues to improve the "flow" of that part of the game, the following fixes are also in the upcoming update.
- Improved the flow of the game after reaching the room with the ‘thing’
- Added another super-secret area
- Fixed a bug where Toki Tori was invisible after returning to the game
- Fades between levels now fade the audio too
- Simplified the puzzle in the underwater passage
- Fixed an issue when the TokiDex was completed in the photo room
- Some back- and foreground elements got a fresh coat of paint
- When all the collectibles in a level (or the entire game) are collected a melody will play to notify the player
- Fixed a rare bug where the player completed the game, but the end scene wouldn’t trigger
- Various level tweaks, based on Miiverse feedback
A second patch is also confirmed, but will be a lot longer in the making due to the greater detail and functionality that's planned; for one thing, a future update will hopefully include the promised level editor.
If you've downloaded Toki Tori 2, let us know what you think and whether you've noticed any of these issues due to be fixed.