Shovel Knight Confirmed For Wii U And 3DS

Posted by Andy Green

PAX East promotional banners reveal all

Last week we reported on Yacht Club Games' first title Shovel Knight, which at the time was only down for a PC release.

The developer - formed by ex-WayForward staff members - did say that it hoped to bring the game to Wii U and 3DS as well but made no promises.

Well it looks as though the confirmation we were all holding out hope for has come in the form a photograph that has cropped up on the company's Twitter account:

If you look closely at the bottom of the PAX East promotional banners you'll see the lovely little logos of Wii U and 3DS, effectively confirming the game will make it onto Nintendo consoles.

Shovel Knight is a 2D platforming adventure based upon the 8-bit NES era. Yacht Club Games descibe it as a mixture of old and new that "may remind you of Mega Man, Castlevania, or Dark Souls".

Of course it all depends on the title reaching its Kickstarter goal of $75,000. It has $27,302 at the time of writing, with 26 days to go. If you really want to see this on your Wii U or 3DS, you'll need to get your wallet out.

Are you looking forward to seeing this title emerge in the Wii U and 3DS eShops? Let us know your thoughts on it in the comments below.

[via twitter.com, gonintendo.com]

Kroisos

Kroisos said:

I'll Kickstart if they give the option of an eShop download for the reward. I'm even considering some of the higher levels for the bonuses--but I figure the more the pledge the less I should eventually have to buy a copy to play. I'd like to think they're talking to Nintendo about generating and distributing download codes for potential backers like me.

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

Sweet! I'm really looking forward to this game! Loving all the fantastic indie games lately! I'll probably get it for the 3DS unless the Wii U has gamepad only feature. Maybe these guys could push for one purchase cross play. That'd be incredible.
Yeah, day one!

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

It is great to see so many indie games coming out for Nintendo consoles, but it all depends on whether they actually turn out to be any good. Though with ex wayforward employees, they certainly have a great resume.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I'm not completely sold on this game but it could end up being good. I'm interested to see if it will reach the kickstarter goal.

jack-slick

jack-slick said:

I'd help kickstart if I wasn't broke but I will do anything else to make this work out I maybe broke but I know rich people that aren't!

Azikira

Azikira said:

I already backed this project, it's so freaking great looking!! I hope they will give us the option to get the Wii U version instead of the PC one.

Rebel81

Rebel81 said:

I love to do a donotion if I can get a download for WiiU or 3DS even if it would be few dollars more. As I only run Mac OSX and Linux I don't want to spend money on something I can't use.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

I'm not the biggest 2d platformer but this does look like fun. I'm down for the 3ds version.

shimage

shimage said:

Get your wallet out and buy the PC version? I don't really want a copy of the PC version, and I don't really feel like buying it twice. I'll just sit on my wallet and hope enough people want the PC version of it.

BrightBeing

BrightBeing said:

I'm sure Nintendo was thrilled when Yacht Club brought the idea to them as it's an obvious love letter to the NES. As everyone has been saying, it seems the Wii U is going to be extremely indie friendly.
With mechanics from so many loved games like Mega Man, DuckTales, Castlevania, and obvious nods to Super Mario's hidden world-skipping Warp Pipes, I think it'd be very difficult to mess up this game. Just the teaser by itself practically sold me on the game. Especially the soundtrack!

Pixel-Perfect

Pixel-Perfect said:

I'll totally back you if I can get a 3DS copy instead of a computer one! I love what I've seen so far!

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Backed. Have a PC, but I'd still rather play on Wii U. I really view Kickstarter backing as supporting stuff I like and want to succeed, not as a purchase... not saying I won't take the gifts, though. ;)

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I'm excited to pick this up on the Wii U eShop, especially due to the music. Virt has made another masterpiece so it sounds :D

Maloy

Maloy said:

15 dollars plus gets you a 3ds or wiiu code invade anyone wondered

SullKid

SullKid said:

Should update this news: "Wii U and 3DS game codes will be made available to everyone who pledges $15 or more. Upon release, you can choose (1) which version of the game you prefer: Windows PC, Wii U, or 3DS!"

Awesomeness!

Emaan

Emaan said:

Great news! There's always room for a NES style classic platformer on the eShop :3

Windy

Windy said:

I really like the look of the backgrounds. it reminds me of Bloody Vampire in a way. Hopefully its just as good if not better :)

bofis

bofis said:

Now the question is, WiiU or 3DS? I kind of think I'd rather have it on 3DS as the layered backgrounds look great with 3D, as does pixel-art. Would love to see how they use the lower screen or equally how they use the WiiU Gamepad screen, or if WiiU version is just mirrored PC version really.