Cave Story Approved And Set For Release On The European eShop

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Saints be praised

When it comes to Nintendo Downloads, wherever you live there are certain releases that are much in demand and mysterious in their delay. They're not actually mysterious in practice, but the result of developers encountering specific issues with the Nintendo organisation in question, securing ratings or, perhaps, not having the resources to fund the various translations and localisations needed.

Whatever the case, one well-known example for European gamers in the Nintendo Life community is Cave Story on the 3DS eShop — and DSiWare, but let's keep the focus on this generation. While the title initially arrived on WiiWare and then as retail release Cave Story 3D, publisher Nicalis didn't bring its handheld versions of the title (with the remastered pixel graphics, as opposed to the new visual style of the retail edition) across from North America. Thankfully, that's finally going to be remedied, as the following tweet from the company makes clear.

So there you have it, the game has been approved and awaits a release date, which could in theory be very soon. We'll keep an eye out for updates, but are any of you in Europe planning to finally pick up this downloadable version when it arrives?

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Cool for EU~ But, I've bought Cave Story on 2 platforms now, won't be buying it again. PC version is excellent.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Well...no. I was, for a very long time planning on doing so, but then I got CaveStory+ in a Humble Bundle, and played through it earlier this month. It's good that others can finally get to try it though.

klautrec

klautrec said:

I've played this game on a lot of platforms: PC, Wii, DSi and 3DS

I simply love it. good for EU :)

AcridSkull

AcridSkull said:

It's been so long that I'm not really that fussed any more, if it has a demo I'll give it a go and maybe that will push me to make a purchase but right now I can't see myself buying it.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

A good release date is next Thursday, but I'm an American. Hope my opinion counts. :)

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

FINALLY, I've been waiting for this classic to arrive on DSiWare for ages!
Although I won't need a DSiWare version with the 3DS eShop version now.

Hunter-D

Hunter-D said:

Up until March, I was practically begging for Cave Story (3DS eShop), but when the games start to roll in thick and fast it's finally been approved and release date should be revealed soon.

Honestly though, I'm ecstatic. I've been waiting for the eShop improved Cave Story ever since it was shown as this seems to be the best version.

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

@ChaosAngel.

No, it updates on thursdays.

We get update notes on mondays, but that's because nintendo europe has some semblance of preparation unlike nintendo america.

taffy

taffy said:

Day 1 purchase for me, last played it on the Wii. Best 1000 points I ever spent... Apart from Lost Winds... and Lost Winds 2: Winter of the Melodias.. and Fast Racing League... and Retro City Rampage... and the Strong Bad games... and the Rebirth games, were was I going with this?

RetroGBHippie92

RetroGBHippie92 said:

@Hunter-D Whoa! you don't know how long I've been waiting for an eshop/retail release! I've been waiting for at least over 2 years, ever since they announced Cave Story for DSiware (which never came to EU and AU, grrrrrrr!!!!). They said the 3DS download version was meant to be out back in december, they specifically mentioned that it'd be coming to Australia and New Zealand too, so I have no idea what's been keeping them.
Also I've pestered them about it for the last year or so, for an indie dev they sure know how to respond to fans (with silence * sarcasm *).
@Linkstrikesback You're right, but you forgot to mention that the eShop updates on friday in AU&NZ, common mistake I know.
@datamonkey Yes I believe it is the Cave Story+ version, yet apparently it's just called Cave Story for the 3DS version.

Dyl_73

Dyl_73 said:

I've never played any cave story so may give it a go. Depends on the price though.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Im picking it up on steam when I get my new laptop to save money (getting a new laptop got me broke), it's 4$ right now and likely to go through some other sale in the future.

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

Good for Europe. It sure was a long wait! Enjoy this version of Cave Story, which I think is the best.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

I was craving for this game. Not anymore, I just don't care. Actually you can stick it up whatever fits you best.

Signed: angry gamer.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

Played the original freeware one, loved it, wanted the 3DS e-Shop version since who knows when, this is definitely a must buy for me :D

Nareva

Nareva said:

I forgot this was on WiiWare. I've only played on PC. Would be great if it came out on Wii U VC, but I might just pick it up on WiiWare.

Grilo

Grilo said:

I just bought this game, so many people talking good things about it and i never played, shame. I'm from Brazil and we have the US eShop in here, i hope it comes out soon for europe and the rest of the world. Only played for some minutes but i loved how great the controls and graphics are.

RR529

RR529 said:

Hope it arrives for you guys in EU soon! It really is the best sprite based platformer you can get from the eShop, IMO (not to mention that it came in second to Crimson Shroud in the Nintendo Life Community Best eShop title tournament, which was held in the eShop forum).

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I'm surprised that Europe is just now getting Cave Story. I haven't even picked it up yet though.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

Great, I'm definitely picking it up. Can't believe I still haven't played this title.

gurtifus

gurtifus said:

I would have bought it if it was released earlier !
Now, with Monster hunter, Luigi's Mansion, Harmonight, Nano Assault, Castlevania LOS and Etrian (arriving next week), I don't have enough time to start playing a new game !

lebad

lebad said:

Yesssssssssssssssssssssss it's great it's wonderful !!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm very happy , I will pick up this great game the first day (I've played the Free PC version, and I have the 3D version on 3DS too)

Nintendawg

Nintendawg said:

I guess this is why songs like "At Last" never get old.
Get the 3D version if you can... it's much better.

Mollutje

Mollutje said:

So.. they forgot?XD Maybe the good folks at Nintendo Life could harrass Nicalis so we can get an update on the situation.. This is getting ridiculous.