Ashes Cricket 2013 Announced For Wii U

Posted by Damien McFerran

Prepare to be bowled over

You would not believe how many emails we've had over the years about Ashes Cricket 2009. No, seriously — you simply would not believe it. It's easily one of the most requested titles we've ever covered, and the fact that it wasn't released in some cricket-loving parts of the world seems to have upset an awful lot of people.

Hopefully the same thing won't happen to Ashes Cricket 2013, which has today been confirmed for release on the Wii U by publisher 505 Games. It's being developed by Australian studio Trickstar Games and will allow players to experience the entire 2013 Investec Ashes Series from the perspective of either the English or Australian teams.

Although cricket may not have found much fame in North America, it's incredibly popular in Australasia, the Indian subcontinent, the West Indies and Southern Africa — as well as in England, where (like all the best sports in the world) it was originally invented.

For those of you that like this sort of thing, here's the press release:

This summer, 505 games puts you in control of the ultimate rivalry in Test cricket with ASHES CRICKET 2013. To be released for the start of the 2013 Investec Ashes Series, ASHES CRICKET 2013 offers unique and realistic features for cricket fans and gamers alike.

Whether playing on X360, PS3, Wii U or PC, dynamic game play adds variety to each match. Players will have to adapt to varying and altering pitches; whether it’s a green seaming wicket or deteriorating fifth day pitch susceptible to spin and bounce. Weather forecasts will also change, altering the course of the match; overcast conditions will be more conducive to swing, while sunny days are a batsman’s paradise.

ASHES CRICKET 2013 includes a brand new game engine creating a truly authentic gaming experience. Batsmen have 360 degree control over shot placement, requiring impeccable placement and timing to build an innings. A new line and length bowling system gives bowlers the tools to set plans for batsmen throughout a day’s play and players have complete freedom to set a field of their choice. For those who prefer to be led however, there are options for intelligent automatic field placement.

Connoisseurs of the game will be able to play the complete 2013 Investec Ashes Series, with official England and Australia teams, however those more interested in the short form of the game can take on the rest of the world in limited overs tournaments and leagues.

“We are delighted to be able to announce some of the key features for ASHES CRICKET 2013,” commented Ralph Pitt-Stanley, General Manager for UK & Export at 505 Games. “This game has been created with real cricket fans and players in mind. The new engine allows players to mimic a cricketers most important attribute, his technique.”

[via ashescricket2013.com]

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

Oh. My. God. If it doesn't support MotionPlus though, I'm going to go on a cricket bat-wielding rampage.

Aviator

Aviator said:

Can we also send the Australian team home if they don't do their homework?

BenAV

BenAV said:

I don't buy many sports games, but I'll consider this if it turns out to be good.

Ravyu

Ravyu said:

Will it be coming to North American Consoles. Cos i want one but I have a US console

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

...and yet not a single Ice Hockey game on 3DS or Wii U! -_-; Someone better step up!

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

Hahaha, I still remember those bizarre emails to Nintendo Life articles about Ashes Cricket. XD

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Forgive me, I live in Wisconsin where we know nothing of Cricket. Except the bat seems quite useful in zombie bashing and bar bouncing at the Irish Pub near my house.
This might be a dumb question, but I've heard some Cricket matches (games?) have been know to go on for several hours, even days. Is it possible to do that in the video game versions as well?
Thanks in advance for a response.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@ajcismo I had a PC cricket game where you could literally play a whole test match ball by ball. In theory, that could take over 30 hours, as cricket test matches are scheduled for five days.

I imagine it'll all be much more streamlined in this game :)

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

@ThomasBW84
Wow dude, that's some serious RPG-like dedication. I can see why people get very passionate about the sport. Thanks for scratching my itch.

MAB

MAB said:

Shane Warne Cricket on the Megadrive was my personal fav ;) it was exactly the same as Brian Lara but with updated graphics and a awesome chiptune Waltzing Matilda :)

Superjimmy

Superjimmy said:

What do you call an Australian with a hundred next to his name.......... A bowler. Might as well get the sledging started now.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Superjimmy Oh be fair, the Aussies have had some tough pills to swallow recently. Oh, wait, that was just Warny and his diet pills...

nintendoduffin

nintendoduffin said:

@ajcismo
To add to what @ThomasBW84 said, the Ashes is a five match series with up to 150 hours of cricket spread over twenty five days, each day features up to ninety overs (an over consisting of six balls) for a potential maximum of 13,500 balls.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@MadAussieBloke - I love how in that video the player actually left a ball. Very realistic and all, but I prefer the stand and deliver approach in cricket games.

Still that leave made me laugh like a maniac.

MAB

MAB said:

@Thomo actually what's more funny is this American playing Brian Lara on Megadrive ;)

slight language warning on this video...

Bankai

Bankai said:

@MadAussieBloke you wish buddy. I am pro at Ashes Cricket. I spent months (literally) playing nothing but 2009.

Quite possibly my favourite sport game ever.

Bankai

Bankai said:

@ThomasBW84 actually in Ashes 2009 you could play full test matches too.

The one thing I wish for is licensed player names. The last game licensed the English and the Aussie teams, but the rest were piss-poor fake names. C'mon, this is modern consoles. Licenses are essential.

Gigagator

Gigagator said:

Surprises it's taken this long for the game to be officially announced. It's been listed on some retail websites for months and months for Wii U.

Bankai

Bankai said:

Once upon a time a cricket match would go on until it was finished - a match between England and South Africa went for 10 days.

Yeah, you pansies play baseball for a few hours and claim you're tired. Real men play cricket.

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

@Ryo_Hazuki-san Like I said, you have no idea. We got more emails about Ashes Cricket 2009 than any other game in the history of the site!

MAB

MAB said:

Because cricket is schmicket... I don't even know what that was supposed to mean :P

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I've never played a video game involving cricket. This could be cool though. I'm just not a huge fan of sports games.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

All I remember is Ashes 2009 being at the top of the "Hottest games" list at the bottom of the site for agesssssss haha

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Oh hooray. What a riveting sport. Can't wait 'til the equally-exciting Tiddlywinks Tournament 2013.

AltDotNerd

AltDotNerd said:

The funniest thing about cricket is the "twelfth man" position. He's basically the "designated b*tch". This is an actual quote from a "Cricket Law Book" (yeah, they're called 'Laws', not 'Rules')

"The twelfth man is not allowed to bat, bowl, wicket keep, or captain the team. His sole duty is to act as a substitute fielder. The original player may return to the field as soon as they have recovered from their injuries."

I know American sports have extra players, but they get to play even if no one is injured.

Sonomin

Sonomin said:

I'll just stick with the superior sport of baseball.. BTW, where are the baseball games for Wii U?

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

@kkslider5552000 I quoted that on facebook recently and confused a lot of people. I love that movie, and enjoy the new Nick series - Activision are apparently making some games and hopefully they are pretty good & come out on Wii U.