Wii U Need for Speed: Most Wanted Based on Superior PC Version

Posted by Andy Green

Could be the most wanted of all editions

Need for Speed: Most Wanted will be screeching its way onto Wii U in North America on 19th March and in Europe on the 21st. As we already know, the game will feature off-TV play allowing you to play the game on the GamePad alone, and there will also be support for the Pro Controller, Wii Remote and Nunchuk.

During a recent developer demo, Criterion revealed that the Wii U adaptation of the game is actually based on the superior PC version. After taking a break once the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 had shipped the developer came back with a smaller team to start the Wii U edition. The studio made use of the console's additional reserves of RAM and sourced high-quality PC textures and assets, as well as incorporating effects such as improved lighting.

Before making the game Criterion said it read up on a few Iwata Asks interviews and was intrigued by the notion of shared experiences and philosophies when developing for Wii U. The Wii U version will feature a "God Mode" where the GamePad allows you to make life easier for yourself by enhancing techniques such as drifting. There's even the option to change from day to night at the tap of the screen.

We also now know that Need for Speed: Most Wanted will support Miiverse, and Miis can be found throughout the game positioned on billboards. There will also be a demo in the Wii U eShop before the game does get released.

Are you looking forward to getting to grips with Need for Speed: Most Wanted? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

[via gonintendo.com]

SuperCharlie78

SuperCharlie78 said:

Oh boy, a serious developer out there, can you believe that? °__°

The reason we didn't do the game for launch is because the online side of it wasn't very clear to us," said Ward. "We weren't sure how much we could do online or how it was going to be, because obviously Nintendo were making a lot of changes up until their run-up to launch. So we didn't want to bring the game out at launch on Wii U with no online play.

The extra time was not spent in vain, something that became obvious once Most Wanted was up and running on a television. The Wii U port pulls in the PC assets and immediately sports a much longer draw distance and better frame rate than its console cousins. Having played my fair share of Need for Speed: Most Wanted, the work that went into this Wii U version was clear – and not just in graphical fidelity, either.

"When we got the final hardware in November, we started to look at it, to really experience it, and start to think that just a port isn't going to cut it. Like we'd be embarrassed if we didn't do anything extra; putting something out, any team could do that."

BenAV

BenAV said:

Sounds pretty good.
I'll be sure to give the demo a shot and base my purchase off that.

Suportedcofe

Suportedcofe said:

The first game I touched on the gamecube was a need for speed and I think it's time to try out another game from the franchise cause I remember having a lot of fun with the GC game.

MattL

MattL said:

At last, a Need For Speed title that sounds appealing. The last good one I played was on the 3DO :)

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Hopefully this stops people saying EA hate the Wii U. I hope people give this game a chance. While the Need For Speed series hasn't always been fantastic, Criterion always put out quality racing games.

THENAMESNORM

THENAMESNORM said:

@suportedcofe I also had Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 for Gamecube at launch and loved it. Then came along Burnout and Burnout 2, developed by the company that made this game! So I'm sure it'll be amazing!

BJQ1972

BJQ1972 said:

I still remember Burnout 2 very fondly on the GameCube. Criterion are an excellent developer.

It was a shame that their owners pulled them away from developing for Nintendo consoles. Nice to see that they have once again made the extra effort with a port to a Nintendo system.

stylon

stylon said:

How's this going to work with the triggers on the WiiU - they're not pressure sensitive are they?

AmishThunder

AmishThunder said:

Considering this comes out at the same time as Tri and Lego City, I think it'll get passed by.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

I am so surprised about this amount of effort going into a Wii U port. From my understanding it even comes from the core developer. MIND BLOWN!

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

I hope Wii Wheel control is tight, though I'll likely stick with gamepad anyway. Does anyone know if it supports 5 local players?

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

It just keeps getting better and better. I'll definitely keep my eye out on this one at launch.

MAB

MAB said:

Getting it just to support the fact that the developer is going the extra mile instead of taking the shortcut while sunday driving through the lazy route ;)

Araknie

Araknie said:

EA not being lazy, it's a revolution and i like it. Even if i won't get the game it's nice to see that kind of treatment and understanding.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Cool. Hopefully the Gamepad will support motion controls. I actually quite liked Nitro on the Wii - despite the drift button, but the lack of online definitley hurt it. I'll be keen to get my hands on the demo.

I doubt many think EA "hates" the Wii U; it's more the about face since sharing the stage with Nintendo and comments in interviews has confused people as to what their feelings are. It looks to me like they're not taking it very seriously. If this game does the business and shows that titles which are tuned-up for the machine pay off that might change.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Not a big Need for Speed fan, but I'll definitely be checking this out.

I wish there were more developers taking the Wii U launch this seriously (besides indies). To be fair it's not often up to the actual development team.

SamSan37

SamSan37 said:

I hope this extra effort pays off. This game needs to cut even so that EA keeps supporting the U. I'll definitely get this just based on Criterions development philosophies.

luminalace

luminalace said:

Was going to buy this anyway but really glad that it's going to be a better port than expected. Also the graphics look really beautiful.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I'm extremely sold on this game simply based on this single article... Though I will get the demo to convince the family it'll be a worthwhile purchase even though I already have Sonic Racing Transformed.

element187

element187 said:

Ok, so I have 2 games I'm purchasing in March now that Rayman Legends is delayed... NFS Most Wanted and Monster Hunter 3 HD.

February is going to suck, but come March i'll be in video game heaven.

IxnayontheCK

IxnayontheCK said:

Not bothered about NFS series but love their respectful way of thinking in regards to WiiU. Hats off em!

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

you know i never played the need for speed games but i think i'll give this one a go it looks fun i know i can get it on PS3 but i want to get it on WiiU

Farmboy74

Farmboy74 said:

"Nintendo don't speak about that, it's not their core focus at all but they did their 'Iwata Asks' about the hardware and it talks consistently about how they got to keep it quiet with low power consumption, and they totally did that... but what they haven't really championed is how they delivered something that could do this as well [he points to the 50-inch Panasonic playing host to Most Wanted U]... It's possible. It's work. You have to think about it and put time and craft and effort and whatever else into it but you have to do that for everything that's worth doing in this business... I think people should either go all-in or not bother." (eurogamer)
The above quote is from the digital foundry interview with Criterion. To me it shows the Wii U is a console worth developing for if you make the time and effort. Looking like my next game alongside Lego City

AceTrainerBean

AceTrainerBean said:

Sounds awesome I remember underground 2 what a game I think I will get this if I can afford it after all the great 3ds games being released

Sun

Sun said:

@AceTrainerBean Yeah, last good NFS game for a Nintendo system was that one and perhaps Most Wanted. I can't wait for the new Most Wanted for Wii U.