Angry Birds Trilogy Flapping To Wii And Wii U This Year

Posted by Damien McFerran

Birds of a feather

Activision and Rovio have confirmed today that Angry Birds Trilogy will be coming to the Wii and Wii U in 2013.

The game — which is based on the stunningly popular mobile phone iteration — has just passed one million sales worldwide. It launched on the Nintendo 3DS last year, as you'll already know if you consulted our Angry Birds Trilogy review.

Here's the full and feather-covered press release:

ACTIVISION AND ROVIO SOAR PAST ONE MILLION ANGRY BIRDS TRILOGY UNITS WORLDWIDE

Companies Confirm Plan to Release Angry Birds Trilogy on Wii UTM This Year

London, UK – 14th February 2013 – Activision Publishing, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Activision Blizzard, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI), and Rovio Entertainment today announced that Angry Birds™ Trilogy has soared past one million units sold worldwide. Released in September 2012 on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft with Kinect™ for Xbox 360 compatibility, the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system with full PlayStation®Move support and the Nintendo 3DS™ hand-held system, Angry Birds Trilogy won fans over by combining Rovio’s three legendary mobile titles, Angry Birds, Angry Birds Seasons and Angry Birds Rio, along with new content, levels and features. Building on this success, Activision and Rovio will release Angry Birds Trilogy for Nintendo’s Wii™ and Wii U™ systems in 2013.

“Angry Birds' proven formula for fun and addicting gameplay translated perfectly to the big screen and the consumer response has been overwhelming,” said Jennifer Mirabelli, VP of Sales and Marketing for Activision Publishing, Inc.

"It was certainly satisfying to see Angry Birds gameplay adapt so well to other platforms in 2012,” said Petri Järvilehto, EVP of Games for Rovio. “The features specific to the Wii U are very intriguing to us, so we’re excited to release this version to fans.”

Completely recreated in striking HD with refined controls, gamers can play Angry Birds Trilogy with all-new animations and interactive backgrounds through 700+ levels with more than 150 hours of addictive gameplay. Angry Birds Trilogy: Anger Management, the recently released DLC pack, features even more content with 130 fan-favourite puzzles like Wreck the Halls and Birdday Party.

Is this kind of game you're looking forward to playing on your Wii U? Do you think the developers will make good use of the GamePad's touch screen? Let us know by posting a comment below.

Related Games

Dashtag

Dashtag said:

Uhhhh... nope. If I wanted to play the Angry Birds, I would use my iPod, which has been sitting on my desk, unused, for about a month.

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

Again, why would I pay £40 for a bunch of mediocre time wasters I can get for free on my Android?

DePapier

DePapier said:

NOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep it to the phones, man!!!!!!

efaulk84

efaulk84 said:

I will stick with the stick with the real apps which are 1/10th the price Thank You Very Much. They should try to include Star Wars Angry Birds for free at that price.

PhillaLoup

PhillaLoup said:

As an eShop title for 10-15 euros... I'd think about it. Retail for over 25 euros? no way!

MadJay1664

MadJay1664 said:

I appreciate they've made the effort to bring it to Wii U. Obviously some people will buy this, especially if it goes on sale.

SmallFryUnify

SmallFryUnify said:

I'm not a particular fan myself but even I can see the potential in this. Bring the game out as Free To Play and offer DLC for different themes like the Space theme or Star Wars one. If they don't go that route then it's silly, I think a game that is essentially free on other devices in it's vanilla form won't warrant any price tag regardless how much better it might be.

Go the Zen Pinball route even, have the game completely free and allow timed demos of the different themes where you can purchase in full direct from the game.

They could add in Mii support, imagine having your Mii's that where the pigs or even having a special bird that was actually a Mii and you launched yourself through the air, Ragdoll Blast style lol

Svengoolie

Svengoolie said:

Oh, great! Because what we need to save Wii U is some garbage shovelware that kids like for some reason.

Dashtag

Dashtag said:

@AbeVigoda I usually don't through my iPod Touch. If I do, usually it's through YouTube(and even then it's Video gaming music) or I listen to video gaming music while I play video games. The only reason I'd listen to music through my iPod is because of the bonus music that came with Skyward Sword is on it.

Kirk

Kirk said:

Well, to be fair, it is kinda perfectly suited to the Wii U GamePad's Touch screen interface. It would also map well onto the analog sticks too and it will look great on the big TV screen. It's a simple game, that really should just be a cheap eShop release, but it's got a market so you can't knock em for getting it on every platform out there. I'd do the same it I could get even a smidgen of their success with my games.

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

I really hope the making Angry Birds a $40 retail box was Activision's idea. I actually had respect for Rovio (especially with the Angry Birds theme park) until the 360/PS3/3DS version of Angry Birds Trilogy was announced.

siavm

siavm said:

I only paid for one and that was for a dollar, the rest I got for free. So I am not buying this.

Knux

Knux said:

Still no Vita love, Rovio? Angry Birds would be perfect for the Vita, just saying. :(

rjejr

rjejr said:

Angry Birds Star Wars is good if you're a big Star Wars geek and well worth a $1.

This Trilogy is also worth a $1. The game is so well suited for the Gamepad that it should be sold as DL in the eShop for $1 each. I'll give them $5 if Seasons, Rio and SW are included.

Omega

Omega said:

As a WiiWare game I might be interested. But I don't think I want this as a retail title.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Wonder if it'll have simultaneous multiplayer. Otherwise it doesn't sound like it has much going for it compared to the 3DS game.

Zemus-DJ

Zemus-DJ said:

I'd give 10$ max for the whole collection if it where on the 3ds Eshop, but there retail price is a joke

Birthday_Boy

Birthday_Boy said:

They need it priced a little better (maybe sell it for $20-$25) but people need to realise that just because its $1 on smartphones, doesn't mean it should be priced the same way on smartphones. Due to the massive competition of the mobile market, unknown devs are forced to make it priced cheaper than a bottle of Coke. Its like begging Renegade Kid to make Mutant Mudds alot cheaper, because its on iPhone for $1.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

As crazy as it seems, the fact that they've sold over a million retail-priced copies of ABT shows this was a good business decision. It also shows how much power retail still has, and how many customers aren't being satisfied by Android/iOS marketplaces. Even if it's the same game for 10x the cost, many want the experience at home, on the big screen TV (or in the palm of their hands with buttons). Even if you don't like the game, this should come as good news to all those who think dedicated gaming platforms are dying.

TenEighty

TenEighty said:

It's stupid games like this that don't belong on any Nintendo console. I really don't know how this game became popular.

Cirno

Cirno said:

Great.

Shouldn't this be like a £5 downloadable game? I mean, this would work well on a gamepad, but I can get this stuff for like £2 on an ipod (I think that this version has extra levels or something, which is why I said £5)