Ackkstudios Working On Earthbound-Inspired Wii U RPG

Posted by Damien McFerran

Project Y2K is the next project from Two Brothers developer

Two Brothers developer Ackkstudios has revealed a few details regarding its next project, currently known as Project Y2K.

The game is a 3D RPG for the Wii U — presumably the eShop. The title comes from the fact that the game is set at the conclusion of the year 1999.

Talking on NeoGAF, the developers have mentioned that the game takes inspiration from the likes of Earthbound and The World Ends With You.

Here's some of what has been posted on the official blog:

Two Brothers is still our main project. We began Project Y2K before we started Two Brothers and put it on hold to finish Two Brothers, as it was a smaller project.

Everyone who has completed work on Two Brothers is now working on Project Y2K… so that’s about a third of the AckkStudios Team.

Now that Two Brothers is nearing completion, we felt it was time to return to Project Y2K. Project Y2K currently exists in a few forms… concept art, a finalized script/story line, a completed graphics/gameplay engine.

As for the title Project Y2K, we can tell you that the reason we’ve chosen this project name is because the game will begin January 1st 1999 at 12:02 AM…

It certainly sounds like it could be an amazing concept - hopefully we'll hear a bit more about it via the blog itself.

Thanks to Emily Rogers for the tip.

[via ackkwiiu.tumblr.com]

bahooney

bahooney said:

Anything inspired by EarthBound earns a place in my heart, simply because the people who understand the game are unified in an inseparable way.

Dashtag

Dashtag said:

Interesting. If what I suspect is correct, I will be able to play the game on the day I was born.

jayblue

jayblue said:

would like shadowrun on the snes on eshop its one game i havent played,eshop rpg as long as its not a simple port or bgrade game should be worth getting.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

...I didn't see anything in the article referencing EarthBound. :c
EDIT: NVM...>.>

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Wow, that's a nice combo of games to mention. That at least gives me the hint that this game's setting will be in a modern era... not enough RPGs utilize the modern landscape, but that's imo. I'll keep an eye out for this project...

Rapido

Rapido said:

Sounds cool, I wonder how they'll incorporate TWEWY influences in the game.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

Going by the code name and setting I wonder if it'll have an end of the world plot line, something like Sands of Destruction but in reverse with a count-down like SMT: Devil Survivor would be really interesting.

lightbringer

lightbringer said:

Never heard of this developer but if it captures any sort of the Mother series essence, then I'll be all over it.

GreenDream

GreenDream said:

Funny how using 1999 as a setting used to be either a "doomsday" or "modern-day" concept, and now it's considered "historical" or "old school"...

Araknie

Araknie said:

If i will get in stores i will surely get it. I'm all in for RPG anytime if they have a so good inspiration.