Trine 2: Director's Cut Is Getting An Update Next Week

Posted by Mike Mason

Trine harder

Frozenbyte has told Nintendo Life that an update for its Wii U eShop title Trine 2: Director's Cut should be available sometime next week. The update will bring several extra features, such as in-game voice chat and Wii U Pro Controller support, plus some additional language support and visual improvements.

The puzzle-platformer sees you take control of a trio of hapless heroes — a knight, a wizard and a thief — through a beautiful fantasy world. It supports co-operative play for up to three people, online and offline, but currently there's no way to communicate in-game without using a secondary device. Breathe a sigh of relief, for the major upgrade coming with next week's update is voice chat support — you'll be able to tell your friends exactly what you think of them when they push you into pits with boxes.

You'll also be able to use the Wii U Pro Controller, while German players will benefit from new vocal tracks. The visuals and controls will be tweaked, too.

Here's what Frozenbyte had to say:

The update will include support for Wii U Pro Controller, Voice Chat for online multiplayer, some new languages (German vocals for example), improved graphics (more vivid/better black colors), some controller improvements, and some minor things.

Have you delved into the world of Trine 2: Director's Cut yet?

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

i'm in level 5 or 6. now i'll wait for the update. interested about the control changes. it's fiddly sometimes.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

I believe this came out so soon because Nintendo is not charging them for updates. Indie developers are going to love this system. Good for them!

LexKitteh

LexKitteh said:

Great to hear developers adding new features to enhance the experience after launch! I'm sure Nintendo not charging developers extra fees for adding Patches/DLC really helped smooth out the process. I'm excited for games on Nintendo's eShop if developers take the initiative like this!!!

Taceus

Taceus said:

Way to go Frozenbyte. Still waiting on Trine 2 to arrive. But I was sold when they admitted fault for an Oz delay. I like it when a company can take responsibility and take care of it's customers. You're on my radar now Frozenbyte :).

KingDunsparce

KingDunsparce said:

Wow, that's a great update! I'm still deciding whether or not to get the game, once I get my Wii U that is.

zipmonStaff

zipmon said:

That's great news and an excellent precedent, but nowhere near as awesome as that tagline. Bravo! :D

thanos316

thanos316 said:

this is good to see that a dev is taking time to update its game, making improvements, making the customer happy. and this is a good look for nintendo, keeping the dev happy and being able to have this level of control is good. lets hope they keep up this continued partnership.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Maybe I'm in an abused state when it comes to Nintendo consoles, but a real update to a game is SO refreshing.

This type of added value after the game has already been released works wonders on the iOS App Store to bring attention to games that have been out for awhile producing more sales AND making the game better and better for those that bought in early. On top of that it adds some confidence in taking chances as games can get better. It's win-win as far as I'm concerned and I hope we see much more of it. :)

3dbrains

3dbrains said:

I got tnis game, its brilliant, very happy to be getting even better graphics, it looks stunning already. In game chat will rock, online works perfectly.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Will the update come with Trine 2 when it comes to the Aus eShop? Or will it be the old version & update later? :o

RetroGBHippie92

RetroGBHippie92 said:

I'm so letting this be my first download when I open my Wii U on Xmas, I'm just wondering though, is any headphone with mic support compatible with Wii U voice chat? if they are then I'll just use some cellphone headphones with a mic.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

Any headphones w/ a mic will work(as far as I know). This sounds alot better now. I think I'll get this now, just because of the updates... I already have the free PS plus version, but this version sounds even more legit even more so. Not saying it wasn't already better, but it adding even more is just great.

Obywan

Obywan said:

This game and Nano Assoult are definitely on my radar for when I get my WiiU.

Chasing Aurora looks pretty cool too, I loved And Yet It Moves and I definitely want to support the developer :)

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

Now THIS is how its done, you hear that every other Nintendo 3rd party dev??
Its been a while since Ive seen an update actually enhance a game as oppossed to fixing up a broken mess. (99% of AAA releases this year)

Wildfire

Wildfire said:

It pretty much was a solid game already and they're going to make it even better now! Awesome!

Swithom

Swithom said:

Awesome, finished main quest but haven't started the Goblin portion yet, so that's excellent

rjejr

rjejr said:

Can somebody please pass these comments on to Nintendo so they see people enjoy online multiplayer and voice chat. (see Nintendo Land and SMBU)

BTW - this game costs $20, not $60, and it's made by a small developer, so it's apparently manageable and economical to have both online multiplayer and voice chat.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Glad I held on to my Black Ops Wii headset - the USB ports on the front are definitely going to be handy for this!

RetroGBHippie92

RetroGBHippie92 said:

@Sean_Aaron I'm not sure USB headsets will work....Headsets compatible or made for the Wii U plug directly on top of the Wii U gamepad, so it's unlikely the USB will work.

Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya said:

It needed voice chat. I'm happy it's on it's way.
Playing with people that have no idea what they are doing is really irritating. Being able to tell them to play the game first before hopping online will be most welcome. ;)

DStroke

DStroke said:

Yeah it's about time!! Every day I check for it :P They said january, so we're half way through...