Nintendo Download: 13th December 2012 (Europe)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Details updated: crimson battling, a hydroventure and a wizard defence

This week's European update has swooped in via YouTube, with both handhelds accounted for while the home consoles are neglected. Two 3DS eShop releases can be classified as "highly anticipated", while the DSiWare title is more along the lines of "hm, never heard of it". You can throw in a rather attractive Wii U demo and two discounted classics on the 3DS Virtual Console as well; you can feast your eyes on what's coming up below.

3DS download software

Crimson Shroud (Level-5, €7.99 / £7.19) — The final part of a trilogy of titles that have made their way to the West from the Guild01 collection, following in the footsteps of Liberation Maiden and Aero Porter. This one is an RPG from Yasumi Matsuno that promises to follow a traditional style, with footage so far backing that up; Matsuno's previous works include Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story. We'll be equipping some gear and levelling up for a review, soon.

Hydroventure: Spin Cycle (Nintendo, €9.99 / £8.99) — A handheld follow-up to the rather excellent WiiWare title Hydroventure — known as Fluidity in North America — this promises some clever puzzles based on water physics and, we suspect, a variety of control options. After the high quality experience of the original we have big hopes, but we'll see whether it lives up to that potential in our upcoming review.

3DS Virtual Console "Hero Sale"

Metroid (Nintendo, €3.49 / £3.19 until 20th December)

Metroid II: Return of Samus (Nintendo, €2.99 / £2.69 until 20th December)

Wii U retail demo

Rayman Legends (Ubisoft, free) — Although the release of the full game has been put back to early 2013, this is still one of the most eagerly anticipated Wii U launch window titles. Visually stunning and promising to continue the fine form of its predecessor, this title is exclusive to Nintendo's new console; it's simple, download this demo.

DSiWare

Wizard Defenders (Teyon, 200 Points) — If there are two genres well represented on DSiWare, it's Tower Defence and match-3 puzzle games; naturally Teyon has decided to blend the two together. It looks like enemies will swarm across the screen horizontally as you colour co-ordinate your troops and fire deadly beams, all covered in a story about wizards and sorcerers. We'll put on our pointy wizard hats and rescue the kingdom soon.

So there you have it; you can watch Nintendo's trailer for this week's update and share your (potential) purchasing plans in the poll and comments section below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (98 votes)

Crimson Shroud (3DS eShop)

36%

Hydroventure: Spin Cycle (3DS eShop)

39%

Wizard Defenders (DSiWare)

Nothing for me this week

23%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Related Games

Red_Acteur_2

Red_Acteur_2 said:

Let's not forget the Rayman Legends demo for the Wii U ^^

If I could, I would pick up Crimson Shroud along with the Denpa Men... Ah well...

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

After the whole "Rayman Legends demo on launch day" stuff in North America, I'm going for caution until it's officially confirmed or appears in the store ;)

Raiko

Raiko said:

No VC again this week? No surprising given how few ratings they're getting in Europe. I must be one of a very small group who buy them lol.

Edit - Completely forgot about Wario Land 3!

Folkloner

Folkloner said:

So the Wii U eShop only release will be Rayman Legends Demo?...like, that's it??
I know it's early days but surely we should expect to see at least one new release for the Wii U eShop per week. I really don't think that's too much to ask.

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

Oh my... This update rocks! :D Too bad I don't live in Europe though.

It's great to see another FUN UNIT game for DSiWare coming to other regions after this one was released in Japan earlier this year.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Byuu As I recall that demo was also "confirmed" in press reports (via Ubisoft saying it was the case) for the Wii U on launch day in North America, and it never showed. As soon as Nintendo issues the formal press release with the full list that includes any DLC, prices and demos, it'll be the first thing I look for!

accc

accc said:

I'm so effing psyched for Fluidity. Too bad us third rate North American citizens have to wait a couple more weeks.

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

@ThomasBW84 I hope Wizard Defenders is 200P because that's what it is in Nintendo's homeland, when the game came out in September.

[url=http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsiware/k6aj/index.html[/url]

Hopefully Teyon will give word soon... and also hopefully bring the last FUN UNIT game one day.

UPDATE: Wow! I didn't realize, but I think Cat Frenzy was that last one!

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Remember the last time we had some 3DS Virtual Console titles? Yea, me neither.

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

@ Geonjaha

Hey man, you guys should be lucky seeing as how you just got Wario Land 3 from the GAME BOY COLOR this past Thursday. I myself can't wait until the lazy idiots at NOA get Wario Land II to us on 12/20/2012 unless there's a delay in getting out onto to the eShop.

Hybrid

Hybrid said:

Needs more VC.

Still waiting for the 2 GBC Zelda's.....those will be day 1 downloads.

Kevin_H

Kevin_H said:

A little disappointed that there's nothing for Wii U. ID expect at least one game per week.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

There should be at least one VC game each week. And they should lower the prices, 6€ for a gbc game is a rip off. GB/GBC games should be 3-4€ tops.

I'm waiting for Crimson Shroud's review to be sure about downloading it.

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

Hydroventure Spin Cycle looks like a lot of fun and will be on my watchlist.
But still, WHERE, is my CAVE STORY already? Sheesh!
It's bad enough I waited very, VERY patiently for the DSiWare release, which incidentally never happened in Europe.

taffy

taffy said:

Is europe ever going to get the youtube channel that the ntsc guys got?

Oh and Hydroventure: Spin Cycle for me, loved the first one on wiiware!

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

They don't put Wii U downloads to these vids for some reason. They put Wiiware and Wii VC games in those vids, but not Wii U Downloads strangely...

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

I liked how you diddn't add Rayman Legends. They could always postpone it again like how they did previously with Rayman Legends. And how they last-minute postponed the Rayman Origins 3DS Date.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

Will be an insta-download of Hydroventure: Spin Cycle for me :D

I know about the Rayman Legends demo on Wii U too, not really too fussed about that though as I've got the full game preordered anyway and I'm sure it'll be good as I absolutely loved Rayman Origins. :)

BenAV

BenAV said:

Crimson Shroud and Hydroventure are both definite buys for me.
A little disappointing that there's nothing for the Wii U, but I already have a lot to play so that's fine.

Klinny

Klinny said:

I'm looking forward to reading your Crimson Shroud review :) I'm interested in any RPG by Level-5!

Moguri

Moguri said:

Crimson Shroud and Hydroventure: I'll buy both. Best download week ever.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

I've seen in another web that Hydroventure will cost 9'99€ and Crimson Shroud 7'99€. Expensive. I don't like how the prices seem to go up as of lately.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

I was away from the computer for a fair spell yesterday and the PR arrived after I'd finished for the day. Will now update everything.

RetrogamerFan

RetrogamerFan said:

Could turn out to be a good week, expecting good things of both of the 3DSware games, but will wait for reviews first.
Also i like match 3 style games and TD style games, so i'll look out for the Wizard Defenders review. I'm not sure what to expect for 200 points tho - some of the recent DSI ware has been pretty poor.

clavier141

clavier141 said:

Was considering Hydroventure, then saw the price
Was considering Crimson Shroud,
saw the price and thought "I was expecting that anyway, I'll pay for it."

chewytapeworm

chewytapeworm said:

Oh my stars... I knew Hydroventure's sequel was on the way but I didn't know it'd be here so soon! Sorry Wii U. You're being given a large break for a while...

RetroGBHippie92

RetroGBHippie92 said:

I'm definitely gonna get Crimson Shroud, but unfortunately I'm still playing The Denpamen, I don't think Crimson Shroud will trump The Denpamen, although I think it'll be a tie more like it.

DrMonk

DrMonk said:

Grr... still no Trine 2 for Australia!! It was approved by the Classification Board 10 days ago... better be there next week!

ilovegaming

ilovegaming said:

Both Metroid games and Crimson Shroud for me...And I'm pretty sure I'll get Hydroventure in the end-just waiting for a review, since I never even played the original!