Fresh Figures Suggest Nintendo DS Is The Most Popular Console Of All Time

Posted by Damien McFerran

Overtakes the PS2 in global sales

According to VGChartz, the Nintendo DS is now officially the most popular games console of all time.

Updated sales state that Nintendo's dual-screen handheld has shifted an amazing 153.69 million units worldwide, while the PS2 has sold 153.68 million.

The DS - which hit the market in 2004 - has sold 56.47 million units in North America, 51.78 in Europe, 33.01 million in Japan and 12.43 in the rest of the world.

Thanks to Nintendo Life member chiefeagle02 for the heads up.

[via vgchartz.com]

MAB

MAB said:

I must be the only person in the world that doesn't own a DS ;)

nikatapi

nikatapi said:

vgchartz is not the most accurate source, but i'm sure that DS is up there with the PS2

bouncer0304

bouncer0304 said:

Well done guys a big achievement and just goes to show the quality of the ds library (i know it had shovelware but a lot of the games are cracking).
This was my first console and i still have it. I use my 3ds now but i won't get rid of it. The best christmas present i ever had :-)

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

A big milestone for the dying system. I wasnt counting with this. Maybe Pokemon pushed it forward enough.

Banker-Style

Banker-Style said:

The Nintendo DS = the greatest handheld ever.
Can't wait to play my last DS game,Pokemon Black 2, on Christmas day.

chiptoon

chiptoon said:

I find that 'rest of the world' figure so sad, since that's where I'm from.

Its no wonder publishers don't really take us seriously.

Randomname19

Randomname19 said:

I didn't saw this coming but now that I think of it it's not that surprising.
This is the console that paved the way to motion control andtouch screens in gaming and the precursor of the Wii U gamepad(and tablets too).It's even the console that got me into Nintendo and Sonic

Shworange

Shworange said:

That's very cool! Now that the Wii U has been out for a whole month in the US, I'm very eager to see how many units were sold nation wide for the month.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

This is a great achievement and a deserved one for the DS, because it ultimately led to the touch-screen market of not just Nintendo but Apple and other products as well and greately influenced people and the world as a result. The DS' huge library has plenty of classics even with a lot of shovelware, but it comes to show how a bunch of good games pay off.

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

and it is still selling shiploads so those numbers will only go up.

nocode

nocode said:

Best handheld ever. I've always felt the DS was the spiritual successor to the SNES.

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

That is crazy, haha, although I've been patiently waiting to see it happen for a while now.

Wonder_Ideal

Wonder_Ideal said:

I really enjoyed my DS. I played it until it nearly fell apart. Good thing the 3DS came out when it did. :D

AVahne

AVahne said:

DS was used more for gaming or gaming-like apps, but the PS2 tended to be used more for DVD playback. So in the end, the DS sales will always be more impressive.

Molotov

Molotov said:

Congrats. And That Means Alot Coming From Me, Considering I Don't Find Much To Congratulate Nintendo About These Days.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Congrats Nintendo DS :D You have quite a lot of really amazing games in your library & are quite the amazing console. Thanks for all the good memories & here's hoping many more to come :D (by playing old games I missed :P)

Kohaku

Kohaku said:

All thanks to the RS4 cards. People only needed to buy the DS and the games were for free.
I hope there will never be a crack for the 3DS.

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

this is awesome news! also, the DS overtaking the gameboy is also remarkable. that system had so many great games, i never thought it would be beaten in terms of sales, if you asked me 3 or 4 years ago if this would happen.

but it is an incredible achievement. :-)

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

I was kind of sad when I traded in my Red and Black DS Lite for my 3DS (making it $100 at the time), just because I wanted to keep the DS. I'll probably pick one up on the cheap eventually, just to have one.

RR529

RR529 said:

It's well deserving of the honor. The DS has loads of great games!

TobieOBrown

TobieOBrown said:

VG Chartz stopped tracking PS2 sales a few years ago so it's not really a surprise the DS has finally passed it on the list.

Rockman

Rockman said:

I'm not surprised as some of the greatest Nintendo games were released on to the little bugger!

JuanitoShet

JuanitoShet said:

If any console could do it, it's the Nintendo DS. :)

So happy for it! Even if the PlayStation 2 was my main console for many years. :)