GAME Mobile App Suggests That Nintendo ID Is On Its Way

Posted by Damien McFerran

Sign-in of the times?

It's pretty much a given that Nintendo will create some kind of user ID system on the Wii U console, and we've had further evidence from UK retailer GAME.

The company's mobile application for iOS now has a field requesting a "Nintendo ID" - and it's nestled right next to the "PSN" and "XBOX Live Tag" ID fields.

Nintendo has so far kept its cards very close to its chest regarding online plans for the Wii U, but it's safe to assume that some retailers will have been briefed on what is in store - so this is a fairly solid indication that the Nintendo ID is becoming a reality.

[via gonintendo.com]

Marakuto

Marakuto said:

This possibly might get my hopes up for the Wii U if it becomes part of the accounts made.

Lin1876

Lin1876 said:

I hope this Nintendo ID integrates the Wii U, 3DS and Club Nintendo systems. That would be worth buying into.

mudjo

mudjo said:

As long as we don't need to put all those details from XBox Live into it (email address, another email address, credit card details, confirm both email addresses, etc)

Hokori

Hokori said:

... I hope we get a choice, I don't want an account that can get hacked, I'd rather have it be tied to the system itself

ultrasann

ultrasann said:

Lin1876 wrote:

I agree. Miiverse will be later implemented into the 3DS, and will also be accessible from smartphones and computers. That kinda gave us a clue about the new Nintendo ID thing also being tied to the 3DS. Hey, the PSP added the PSN Network, so it's possible.

Charizard1995

Charizard1995 said:

If this is true,then that be great because I hate friend codes and i'm pretty sure that everyone else does too.That would also be great if Nintendo would also do this with the 3DS as well.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

I hope they dont take long into integrating it to the 3DS, and that when they do, they let you download purchases account based. Given how much some of their promises have taken into arriving (computer-accesible eShop, Flipnote Memo) I wouldnt get my hopes up.

Hokori

Hokori said:

The wii shop, eShop, and DSi Shop are going under matinance on Tuesday... Wonder if this means something?

coolvw93

coolvw93 said:

sounds good to me. hopefully its a way to keep your friends connected on all systems.

Hyperstar96

Hyperstar96 said:

Why is everyone so surprised and in denial that Nintendo's going to have usernames and a unified account system? I guess the Sony fanboys just can't accept that Nintendo's going to be the PS4's downfall.

fortius54

fortius54 said:

I love Nintendo, but the details need to be shared. I would have thought we would be getting more information than we could begin to digest. I don't understand the secrecy at this point.

Ispheria

Ispheria said:

...I don't get it. what does this mean? does this mean like, they will have nintendo games on iphone? or like, you can log in on iphone or something?

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

@Ispheria The GAME mobile app is tied to your GAME rewards account here in the UK. It's to do with shopping and loyalty points - it has nothing to do with Nintendo games being on the iPhone.

I assume that GAME want to know your sign-in name because they can then target you with Wii U-related promotions.

Radixxs

Radixxs said:

Good thing we don't know what the online system is or how it will function just two weeks from launch! Is it too late to preorder?

ultrasann

ultrasann said:

fortius54 wrote:

@fortius54 no one understands almost any secrecy at almost any point with Nintendo, but it ends up working out for some reason.

ultrasann

ultrasann said:

Hyperstar96 wrote:

@Hyperstar96 Also, people are expecting more of the same after Nintendo made mistakes on some things. It's the uncertainty that's getting to them. The unexplainable secrecy.

TysonOfTime

TysonOfTime said:

@Radixxs
Yes, Actually.

Since Pre-Orders literally sold out the day after they opened, I guess Nintendo has no reason to show of the online before the launch...

That actually makes a bit of sense.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

@hyperstar96 I see your point, people just expect that because Nintendo went "full idiot" on one generation with online and graphics, as well as with casual games, that it has just fallen from grace and now they're condemned into doing games for moms.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I'm not a big online player so "Friend Codes" were never a big hassle for me, but 1 thing the PS3 does - which I hated at first but now love - that the Wii doesn't is accounts. It has it's downsides of course, but the 4 of us are a lot less likley to play over or erase other peoples save points this way, and each person getting to pick their own theme is kinda nice as well. And having 4 people play LBP on 1 PS3 with their own account characters is very cool.
We each also have our own club Nintendo Account - well 2 adult accounts and 2 kid sub accounts wrapped together in a Family account - so tieing those together would be nice as well.

One thing that i really hope carries over from the Wii,and is greatly improved upon in the 3DS is Activity Log. I just hope they make every game covered as I can't understand why Pikmin 1 and 2 aren't.

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

This is interesting news... Hopefully if I can't secure a wii U, I can at least make a NID so I won't lose my data during the transfer.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

the day we no longer see those annoying friend code is the day we can finally enjoy online more :) hope this is true and that it also gets changed on the 3ds so we can add more buddies

i also agree that this should link club nintendo to it :P

AlbertoC

AlbertoC said:

If my 3DS gets stolen or it breaks, i can kiss goodbye all my eShop games. This is the strongest and main reason i will still prefer solid cartridges that i can touch, insert and play, lend, and sell. They are much more expensive than 3DSware, I can afford to lose a 3DS and one cartridge, but it will really, really hurt if i have a decent collection (I'm on my way, i have 7 different retail games, 4 of them are available for download). Think of it when IBM introduced the hard disk drive eliminating punched cards, when people was afraid to have data that couldn't be touched, but without the benefit of copying it elsewhere. (Games are tied to the 3DS they were bought, i can copy them to a hard disk but still lose them if i don't have my current handheld.)

If they make an account system that can recover my games and save data, that worry will go away and i will go digital with retail games sooner than i can say it.

Now, if that "Nintendo ID" is only meant to be used with the Wii U, and what i say will still be a reality for quite some more time, then i can happily buy more and more little, white boxes even if i am missing download codes (that by the way i'm missing anyway for they are US and Canada benefits only, thanks again for that) and whatnot.

Radixxs

Radixxs said:

@TysonQ7 I thought that was only GameStops in North America? Assuming so, unless they only care about selling 250,000 or so preorders, I don't think holding out on the basic information of the console's online capabilities 2 weeks before launch is very smart at all.

QATAR

QATAR said:

i need to know when are we going to be able to register our nintendo id's ! is there a way we can pick/register our unique names on Lunch from nintendo official site , or we can do it only from the console it self , i hope they open the registration from both sides , Console & site .

AVahne

AVahne said:

Would be lovely if 3DS can get Nintendo ID before Wii U launches so that they'll have everything established and ready for it.

Kirk

Kirk said:

Seriously! How the hell do we not already know all the full details of this stuff? The machine is practically out for Christ's sake! What the hell is Nintendo playing at? It actually just makes me a little worried about what they are going to offer in the end. That is not a good thing, Nintendo.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

@fortius54 Amen to that.

I thought the secrecy would end at E3, then at their press reveal and then I thought that we might know more before release but I guess nintendo dont want to give Sony and MS time to copy the features

WesCash

WesCash said:

Accounts. Finally.
Welcome to the 21st century Nintendo. We've been waiting for you.

TysonOfTime

TysonOfTime said:

@Radixxs
I'm pretty sure it's sold out almost everywhere, in every shop. Not 100% sure though, so don't quote me.

Never said it was smart. It's not.
It just makes some sense in a twisted way.

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

Its possible, but concidering it comes from GAME who have made lies like this before. I'm giving this a 25% chance it is true. Unless someone else comes up and says something.

ultrasann

ultrasann said:

squashie wrote:

I would love this, but I think by ID, they mean a friend code.

@squashie I have a bad feeling that this is what we'll come across with the Wii U. I'm not going to give up all hope though, simply because we do not really know.