Talking Point: Games That Need Wii U - Resident Evil 6

Posted by Ray Willmott

A much needed second chance

As great as Nintendo’s first-party efforts are, Wii U is going to have a reliance on its third-party support. Nintendo certainly recognises that and has already drawn franchises like FIFA, Call of Duty, Mass Effect and Assassin’s Creed to its cause. However, as encouraging as that is, it’s still not enough. The format is still missing major third-party games that will surely make or break the system.

This feature, and others to follow, will look at some of the games that we feel would be a great fit on Wii U, but have not yet been announced. We’ll even back up our musings with a list of reasons why the experience would be especially unique with the system's GamePad.

This week it’s Resident Evil 6.

One of the biggest games this year has already launched, and despite the mixed opinions its importance cannot be understated. Resident Evil is an enormous global franchise that has a healthy, growing fan-base. It’s peculiar that the title hasn't been announced to this point. 3DS has enjoyed the exclusive Resident Evil Revelations back in January, and Nintendo’s relationship with Capcom is the best it’s ever been. Surely it’s a matter of time, right?

While we wait for the announcement that must surely come, here are a few reasons why Wii U and Resident Evil 6 would make perfect zombie-slaying buddies.

Inventory

The inventory could be easily navigated with the touch-screen: scroll and tap to combine herbs or select any item while the action happens on screen. This is particularly important as Resident Evil 6 is always operating in real-time, so having a constantly accessible menu on the Wii U Gamepad would be of massive benefit. A few finger-taps to combine herbs won't infringe on the actual gameplay happening on your TV set, and you can still do the same things offered in any other version of the game.

Mini-map

Another obvious choice. Players could make great use of the map on the GamePad while the action plays out on the TV screen. It’ll be easy to track your position as you’re moving between locations and feel much more natural in a survival horror situation. It would even be great to mark way-points on the map with a simple finger-press.

Change of weapon

With a flick of the finger you could switch your load-out. This could also be used to help perform a quick-reload, although that’s as easily accomplished with a simple button press.

Quick-Time-Events

Resident Evil 6 is full of Quick-Time-Events. Some might say that borders on the annoying. However, instead of the usual button presses, the Wii U GamePad enables Capcom to be a bit more creative, and potentially create the tense-dynamic action scenario it's desperately trying to embed into its game. Tapping a particular area of the screen at the right moment, shaking the GamePad using the gyro sensor, even turning the pad away from the TV to ‘face’ your attacker and then using the touch screen to fight back could create some interesting situations. It has to be better than drumming the A button through the bottom of the pad, right?

Two Player Co-op

Rather than the rather awful looking split-screen, Capcom could take advantage of the game being played completely on the GamePad. Titles such as Darksiders II and Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 are already doing this, so the new controller is capable of streaming graphic-intensive games. This would make local co-op even more entertaining and less of an eye-sore than it is already.

Revelations/Resi 6 cross-overs

Owners of Revelations could unlock unique items in the Wii U version of Resident Evil 6 both for multiplayer and single player. We know that data-transfer between the handheld and home console will be possible in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, so Capcom knows how to do it.

Aiming

Resident Evil 6 has a much more free-roaming aim mechanic than the stunted, transfixed one in Resident Evil 5. When in this view, the Wii U GamePad could be used expertly to line up your shots with greater accuracy than an analogue stick could ever provide. Simply move the pad around when in view and then tap a shoulder button to fire. If playing co-operatively, players could even ‘mark’ targets to help out their buddy, making sure they’re not ambushed without realising it.

Resident Evil.net

Capcom’s vision for Resident Evil.net is lacking something, and that something could be Wii U. If you look at the capabilities of Nintendo TVii players could, hypothetically, play the game and, when at an extremely tense or difficult moment, take and share screenshots with their friends and even add captions. They could also record video, or have a constant tracker telling them how they’re doing on a particular accomplishment (for example how many zombies they’ve killed, how many shots fired) and have all of that be recorded and displayed by the Wii U GamePad in real-time. Effectively, ResidentEvil.net would become part of the Resident Evil 6 experience, interacting with the player as it was originally intended.

Potential Wii U Functionality: 8/10

We honestly believe that Resident Evil 6 could be made a whole lot better on Wii U; the hardware can handle the game, and probably better than anything else on the market. The interactivity between ResidentEvil.net would be a lot more meaningful and closer to Capcom’s original vision. We also suspect that a lot of the frustrations people are currently having with the game would be erased thanks to the GamePad’s functionality. It’s difficult to say how Wii U will work with Resident Evil 6’s multiplayer at this time, but with major franchises already confident in the console’s capabilities, it will surely offer benefits for Nintendo's so called "core" gamers.

There’s absolutely no reason why this couldn't work. In fact, there’s every possibility it would make for the definitive edition of the game.

Are there any other potential features for this game that you think we've missed? Any games you want to see on Wii U that haven’t been announced yet? Have your say below.

Haywired

Haywired said:

"Tapping a particular area of the screen at the right moment, shaking the GamePad using the gyro sensor, even turning the pad away from the TV to ‘face’ your attacker and then using the touch screen to fight back could create some interesting situations."

Haven't we learnt from the early days of the DS and Wii that going full-out gimmicky and trying to crowbar in every possible feature just for the sake of wackiness isn't a particularly good idea.

rjejr

rjejr said:

All good arguments for RE:6 needing the WiiU, not any reasons for the WiiU needing a game with poor reviews. Though I agree it will happen. Seems like every "big" game that comes out these days needs a 2nd release. OOT, RE:4 and Okami will be re-released on every new system until the end of time.

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

Honestly, I don't think the addition of some kind-of-neat features in a Resident Evil 6 port would satisfy any fans. The only way for Capcom to really make up with their fans is if they completely recreate Resident Evil 6 such that the game...well, doesn't suck.

SPEtheridge

SPEtheridge said:

Lets hope if they do bring it over the things they fix or change are important ones such as, frame rate, tighter controls, better aiming and just make sure its all polished up a bit more. its a bit of a mixed bag on 360 and PS3.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

I couldn't care less if RE6: U Edition incorperated any sort of GamePad screen ideas, give me Wii Remote Plus Pointer/Nunchuck controls or I'll just cave and get the PS3 release, seeing as how a Wii U release hasn't been announced and my RE itch is getting the best of me!

ThumperUK

ThumperUK said:

So many great ideas here - I think you should send them to Capcom.....they'd be daft not to go with them.

GameLord08

GameLord08 said:

Personally, I believe ZombiU will satisfy the Wii U better than anything Resident Evil 6 displayed as a game in itself; a true survival horror experience which makes exceptional native use of the "gimmicky" GamePad features. (Go watch the first E3 gameplay trailer released, now.) RE:6 may need the Wii U to at least present itself better, but the Wii U certainly doesn't need RE:6. Personally though, I don't believe an appearance on the Wii U would give the game any more overall appeal, even with the GamePad.

I feel that if Capcom truly wants to continue their fame with the Resident Evil series successfully (which is looking questionable from this side), they'll re-visit their roots with the game. Intensely.

nindocrash

nindocrash said:

True, it's not the expected resident evil... but I've watched one full campaign play through by brad on YouTube. and IMHO,
it's a tribute to greatness, for the long running franchise.
with some room for improvement, that the Wii U could possibly, sceam together mabe?.:)

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

With the direction the Wii U is heading, it seems as though multi-platform games once found on both 360 and PS3, now may find a home on the Wii U as well.

But what sorts of problems does this pose for the Wii U? Will the games have tacked on GamePad support that don't necessarily benefit the gameplay?
Will the Wii U's family friendly identity shift away from what we've known this past generation?

Or does it pose serious problems for the competing 360 and PS3, which although does have features like Smart Glass and Vita connectivity, doesn't offer these out of the box.

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

i know some wouldn't want this game on the wii U given the mixed reviews RE6 has received on the PS3, Xbox so far. but ninja gaiden 3 coming to the wii U is also a PS3, Xbox title with added additions to the game play. so if RE6 came to the wii U and turns out to be a better version of the game, then i'd be up for it.

Hokori

Hokori said:

RE6 just got bad reviews in the west, so yes judging from famitsu I would like RE 6 for WiiU as well as Lolipop Chainsaw, RE5, and UMvC3

Tangoswthbowser

Tangoswthbowser said:

Honestly, I've been day-dreaming about this since the '11 E3. I also would like to have the opportunity to play RE: 5 without my D-bag homies skipping EVERY cut-scene.

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

i was going to wait if this was or would or could of been a launch title maybe it never will but given even if it does i wasnt about to wait even longer for it so i got it for my ps3 as i originally intended too in the first place before i knew about the wiiu lol :P

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

@Hydeks
Why wouldn't it? More Money in Capcom's pockets. You think they'd actually limmit themselves to the PS3/XBOX 360 when the Wii U is easily capable of running RE6? It's inevitable, the question is 'when'?
I'd love to see Wii Pointer controls as an alternative control scheme. If Capcom does announce RE6: U Edition, then i'll gladly pass on the PS3 version. I'll wait a couple of months, besides i've got too many Wii and 3DS games too play.

Gamesake

Gamesake said:

QTEs are worse than waggle. Yet over the last 10 years it seems devs can't come up with anything better. Reviewers need to start speaking out against it. Do I want RE6 on Wii U? No. I'd rent it and maybe change my mind--but from the gameplay videos I've seen I have no interest at this time. I'll stick to Revelations.

Candy811

Candy811 said:

I have just started playing resident evil games last year and I love them. I hope there would be a RE for Wii U as well :)

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

@Gamesake Revelations is definitely my favorite RE title. Similar to rumors of Kid Icarus coming to Wii U, I'd love to see a port or expanded version of Revelations for the Wii U. The scanner function would be a perfect use for the Gamepad as would the touchscreen inventory management from the 3DS version.

SnackBox

SnackBox said:

Please no...do not re release this game ever, it won't change the themes and concept of this shudders game

Hokori

Hokori said:

May I ask what every seems to think is wrong with the RE5 and 6 games?

WesCash

WesCash said:

@Gamesake
Yeah, QTEs are pretty brutal to see nowadays. I want to enjoy a good cut-scene without having a spasm-induced heart attack. Back when I first bought RE:4 I thought QTEs were the bees knees though...

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I haven't played RE6 but the mixed reviews don't make me interested to pay full price for it. I may pick it up later as I played RE5 a lot with my bro, so we could do the same with this one.

The game will most likely go to Wii U, since I have heard it was a very expensive game to make so they will want to recoup losses. It would be great if it supports Wiimote and Nunchuck like RE4.

Now Zombii U will take care of the zombie fix all by itself. More power to Ubisoft.

For the next installment of this, I would love to have Bioshock Infinite.

Void

Void said:

@HarmoKnight It seems to me that most of the dislike comes from the fact they are more like action movies than Survival Horror games.

JayMiller1988

JayMiller1988 said:

Looking at gameplay footage of Resident Evil 6, I wouldn't pick it up on any system- and even if I got it for free I have better games coming out/to replay.

The last major console Resident Evil I enjoyed thoroughly was Resident Evil 3... 4 I could stand, 5 I didn't play because of the same reasons I wouldn't play 6.

Nekketsu3D

Nekketsu3D said:

don't spend titles in this terrible game of Resident Evil 6 ... really prefer to invent zombies nintendo with Mario characters or something...

steamhare

steamhare said:

I still can't look at the logo for resident evil 6 without...

Well, I can't unsee, anyway.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

I don't care about Resident Evil 5 & 6, I rather want a sequel to Resident Evil Revelation instead but this time includes classic zombies.

MAB

MAB said:

ZombiU is gonna give me that old-school survival-horror vibe more than the new Resi Evils even though it's a FPS and I hope it becomes a successful franchise for Ubisoft ;)

I want Capcom to make another Mercenaries game with more stages, enemies from all titles, every character, ability to play as Nemmy and 4 player online would be awesome :)

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

@Void the last games with jlll valentine and chris redfield as the main characters moved away from the original survival horror-style the series once started with, so yes.

i think capcom ought to revisit that.

Araknie

Araknie said:

I don't like RE since the 4th entry. And this is the lowest entry ever, i'd rather play Gun Survivor 2 at least that games features only one genre of gaming.

Dreadjaws

Dreadjaws said:

I liked Resident Evil 6. I think it's much better than 5 and it certainly doesn't deserve the hate it's receiving. Most of the complaints are about things RE5 did far worse and that game got nothing but high scores.

That being said, if you didn't like RE4, you're probably not going to like this one.

Yosher

Yosher said:

I'd personally love Resident Evil 6 to be on the Wii U, and even Resident Evil 5. I don't own any platforms that I could play either on (maybe the PC, but I don't like playing games on there). So, a pack that would contain both RE5 AND 6 would be ideal for me!

Sabrewing

Sabrewing said:

They should release a remake compilation of Resident Evil: Survivor, Survivor 2 - Code: Veronica, and Dead Aim with GamePad aiming. </trollface>

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

Ya, it seems like a lot of people are jumping on board the RE6 hate train without having even played the game itself. The last RE experience i truly loved
was with RE3: Nemesis. It's nice to see that zombies have finally made a return
at least in Leon's Scenario. This is the first RE console release ever that i haven't purchased on day one...Holding out for that Wii U release announcement. :P

LeVideoGamer

LeVideoGamer said:

This article's title should be reworded to say "Games that the Wii U needs." Anyone who's listening to what the reviewers are saying, don't. This is an excellent game.
Other games that the Wii U need are Borderlands 2, SSF4:AE, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance & Grid 2, just to name a few.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

I'd like to see them use the gamepad for reading the diaries and stuff that you normally find, maybe allowing the characters to move while reading Umbrella trivia.

I think QTEs would go well on the gamepad but only if they are context specific i.e. use the accelerometer to dodge something, quickly enter a code on a keypad, fix a lock to keep nemesis out, maybe even typing out your save game on typewriter.

I hope they don't just make RE6 for Wii U with a couple of tacked on features. I want to see RE Zero to Code Veronica replayed, with the newer over the shoulder gameplay mechanics, all as one game. I still think it could be scary. It wouldn't be too hard to make a decent action survival horror out Umbrella's clean up missions following the original incidents.

HawkeyeWii

HawkeyeWii said:

How about a Resident Evil HD Trilogy pack, with RE4, RE5, and RE6? I would totally be in!!