Animal Crossing: New Leaf Turns Over Some New Footage

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Prepare to spend a lot of time on 3DS

As part of today's Nintendo Direct broadcast, it was confirmed that the new Animal Crossing title due to arrive on 3DS next year will be called Animal Crossing: New Leaf. It seems like an apt title as the new entry will, of course, introduce new features and mayoral duties.

There was a decent amount of new footage shown off, as well, showing all of the various ways you can micro-manage and live in the game's world. It looks like it'll have everything that series fans have come to love, and we're sure that some members of the Nintendo Life community are positively bursting with anticipation.

We think it's a rather nice title, and you can watch the footage below while you decide for yourself.

Beta

Beta said:

Insta-buy, of course! ^_^ The only thing that worries me is how many family members can live in a town.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

Really, really can't wait for this game. I'm pretty sure it's my most anticipated game of 2013.

Xyphon22

Xyphon22 said:

That's what I want to know, too. My wife and I have loved playing these games together in the same town, and I'm wondering if we can still do that now that you are the mayor instead of just a citizen.

FrozenCthulhu

FrozenCthulhu said:

Rather unsightly logo art — hopefully it'll still change — but other than that, I like the name.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

This is going to be epic. I love seeing the return of Gyroids!!! Day 1 purchase for me.

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

@Xyphon22 I have my doubt of that. Since it's a handheld, they most likely are assuming each player will have their own copy. Unless it saves to the SD card.

I have got to say, this looks like the most interesting AC yet. It's such a large jump for the series, so many new features... Wild World added a decent amount, but City Folk seemed to add a lot less (admittedly, the city was rather bland). With the customization and amount of content, though... this truly seems like the biggest leap to the series.

Beta

Beta said:

@ShadJV: Wild World was a handheld and it still supported a few players to live in the same town.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Day 1 download for me.
How cool it would of been if one of the characters was dress in Samus's power suit in this trailer like how one was dressed as link in one of the older trailers. It's could happen.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

Awesome trailer, I'm so looking forward to this game, its easily my most anticipated game of 2013. It was cool seeing KK as a DJ at the end.

Void

Void said:

I'm so happy you can change the times that the shops are open in this one.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

The new title is nice (better than Jump Out) and it's nice to finally see an english trailer (or even screenshots!). Putting the date on the trailer as 25th October really rubs it in though - unless they're planning on releasing on that date, in 2013!? D:

Olaf-symbiote

Olaf-symbiote said:

Hope the European title stays the same and won't be something like Animal Crossing: Let's Try Out New Things.

SageWaterDragon

SageWaterDragon said:

I really, REALLY hope that they allow for multiple players in this game. I don't know how that would work if only one player could be the mayor (as it would work logically), though. The Animal Crossing series is the only game I have gotten my mom to ever play, and she absolutely adores every single game. Fingers crossed for the continuation of the tradition.

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

I've never played an Animal Crossing title before, but this will definitely be my first. I'll need a relaxing handheld game, and I think I am going to go with this over the new Harvest Moon... Tough choices people. Now I know how the President must feel...

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

@Olaf-symbiote That always bugs me a bit. I love you EU folks, but I always wonder why title changes are so prevalent. Sakura Samurai not good enough for you, Hana? lol jk ;) I wish they just stuck to a more "global" title that we could all use to refer to the game, after all, everyone knows english these days so talking to someone from Japan on the internet is nothing astronomical.

Dizzard

Dizzard said:

@Olaf-symbiote This annoys me too, hopefully it will be the same. I like the name New Leaf. I will probably continue using New Leaf and ignore the bizarre Europe name if it comes to that though.

Animal Crossing: Let's start fresh and try out new things

For those Europeans who are too stupid to know what "New Leaf" or "City Folk" means. :D

DF2506

DF2506 said:

LOVE THE NEW TITLE! The English footage looks great. :)

For those wondering, yes you will be able to have more than one character in your town. A Japanese AC map showed more than one human house. Plus, from what I've heard, the first human character is the mayor, others are residents. :)

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

Can't wait for this to be retail & downloadable game because I'm downloading it when it comes out in 2013. :)

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

sc100

sc100 said:

So there are multiple rooms on one floor this time (like in Wild World) but according to DF2506 there are also multiple houses. Sounds like bigger houses for everybody!

Torchwood

Torchwood said:

I rather like the title! Much better than Jump Out in my opinion. However... I wish the subtitle was a bit more prominent in the logo.

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

I actually think "New Leaf" is apt, because it does have a lot of big changes in the series. Funny thing: after I more or less 100% City Folk, I said, "I will only get the next Animal Crossing if it has some big changes." And I intend to follow through with that. I can't wait for New Leaf!

Cevan

Cevan said:

So glad to finally get a US trailer and title. This will be a Day 1 purchase for me. Now we just need a release date. At least we know it's coming early 2013, my guess is around March or so.

quazzaazazazaazaza

quazzaazazazaazaza said:

@HarmoKnight Yeah, I really don't see why everyone likes "new leaf" better than "jump out". I liked Jump Out way better and think the logo needs some remodeling. Of course, I'm still getting this as soon as it comes out.

SennaKurosaki

SennaKurosaki said:

I'm really looking forward to play the new Animal Crossing on my 3DS. The original Animal Crossing on my DS was one of my most played games.

Emaan

Emaan said:

Looks amazing! I'm still ehh about the title, but I'll get used to it. So excited for this nonetheless. 2013 has so many game releases I'm looking forward to. :O

mudjo

mudjo said:

I like the tile, but why is the subtitle above the "animal crossing" bit?

janettocrossing

janettocrossing said:

I hope it comes out before March . My birthday is on March so it would be cool if I got it for my B-Day... :P

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

So... why do I feel the town is going to be too big? As in, with so many shops, the grass land will be more to have the correct ratio. City Folk was as bignas I wanted my tiwn, now it has a "city" in the middle of it.

DF2506

DF2506 said:

@Prof_Clayton, the City isn't in the middle of your town, its across the train tracks. So, instead of taking a bus to the "city" you can just walk there (so its a seperate area from your town, same with the island & the streetpass place). Much cooler imo. I like that there are more shops. The City in City Folk was a big disappointment to me. Not enough to do there. That won't be a problem this time.

The regular town will have your animals, R parkers (a recycle shop), and a couple of other buildings (Cafe', maybe lost in found) if you choose to build them in your town. And you can put some stuff, like benches, wells, etc in your town if you want, but you don't have too.

Animal Crossing is all about choice. In fact, what shops you have in the City seem to be up to you too. So if you want a small city, you can have that. Some buildings like the Dream House are only opened by doing certain things. It seems like some people will have different "cities" depending on what they do with their town, how much they spend in the city, etc. If you just want to fish & bug hunt and not worry about the mayor stuff or expanding your city you can do that.

Personally, I'm going to do all the mayor stuff, put things in my town, try to make my city/mall as big as I can, and just have fun with the game. Its going to be the best Animal Crossing yet! :)

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

I don't see the problem with having the first character be mayor, players can decide for themselves how to handle things like in WW with the shared house. People can vote or request for the changes since they're most likely sharing the cart anyway.

I like the new title the expression fits the series as a whole, down to literally using an expression as the subtitle of a game about choice and self-expression. Really looking forward to the game and the only thing I don't like so far is that KK slider is now a DJ.

Sam_Loser2

Sam_Loser2 said:

You look so dumb K.K.! Saturday nights use to be a nice relaxing time with just me, K.K. Slider, and Brewster (my two best friends). But those glasses....

Kitsune_Rei

Kitsune_Rei said:

I like New Leaf better, though I agree the font its in is rather meh.
Please just tell me when I can fork over my money and my life to this game!

Thewolfnamedshe

Thewolfnamedshe said:

OMG I HOPE THEY TELL US IF THEY ADDED MORE BUGS/FISH YOU CAN CATCH CAUSE THERE ARE THOUSAND OF FISH AND BUGS >w<
I LOVE CAP LOCK XD