Pikachu 3DS XL Pre-Orders Prompt Long Lines in Japan

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Pika-queue

A little over a week ago we told you about the yellow Pikachu 3DS XL/LL coming to Japan, with the only way to buy one being to pre-order from Pokémon Center stores. As reported by Andriasang, those pre-orders have now opened and attracted plenty of interest.

Japanese website Inside Games visited the Tokyo Pokemon Center at 10am for the launch of the pre-orders yesterday, and found a queue of over 300 eager gamers; the line apparently continued to grow as the day progressed. It's worth also bearing in mind that despite the system not arriving until 15th September, buyers have to pay the full cost of ¥18,900 up front with the pre-order.

When it comes to guaranteed sales in Japan, it seems that few things work quite as well as Pokémon.

[via andriasang.com]

Hokori

Hokori said:

Wish it was like that here, Pokemon is considered baby here, and Nintendo is also becoming what's folks would call baby, it's ashame that all they care about is COD or iPhone stuff

SMEXIZELDAMAN

SMEXIZELDAMAN said:

Good thing this isn't coming to US. Pokemon is for babies. I would get a Call of Duty edition 3DS XL though.

ToadFan

ToadFan said:

@LordOtakWiiU iOS actully has a few games, like Final Fantasy and Infinity Blade. And it's getting a full The World Ends With You remake. Through overall I don't think the gaming experience is as good as a 3DS..

Millenia

Millenia said:

I would be one of those in line, if I were Japanese. I wish people cared about Pokemon and Nintendo over here. People think I'm childish for loving Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, etc, where in Japan it's completely normal.

Expa0

Expa0 said:

Ugh, pikachu is such a ugly mofo nowadays. He was better when he was fat.

BenAV

BenAV said:

The white at the top still completely wrecks it...
Should have been all yellow, or at least black.

Dodger

Dodger said:

I love pikachu puns, can't stand this 3DS. That is one ugly pikachu. The arms look totally wrong compared to the head.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

i love it and wish they were releasing it here....but i bet that when the sixth generation pokemon game comes out, that there will be a special edition 3DS XL bundle. There was one for Black & White

technotreegrass

technotreegrass said:

Glad to hear it's doing well. I hope it comes to North America one day, though I'm still holding out for either a nicer color or a better SE.

LittleKing

LittleKing said:

@rudydog13 This. What were they thinking...

I would've preferred if they had Pichu, Pikachu and Raichu lined up next to each other in their evolutionary line. Also, the white doesn't work well. Pikachu is yellow with some black and red. The only white on its whole body is that tiny bit of white in the eyes. Should've been yellow and black.

warvad

warvad said:

The perspective correctly turns the cameras into pika-man-boobs.

Quite unappealing.

kurtasbestos

kurtasbestos said:

Huh, I guess that explains the ridiculously long lines outside the Pokemon store when I walked by early in the morning the other day...

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

That would sell in the US. Why not bring that here with the release of Black and White 2 Nintendo?

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

I haven't played Pokemon since the 90's, but since when did they change the shape of Pikachu's head?

HawkeyeWii

HawkeyeWii said:

@LordOtakWiiU I absolutely agree 110% with you! Over here all anyone cares about is the same old same old first person shooter bleh bleh.... can you say boring!