Matte Red and Matte Blue DSi Models Hit North America This Week

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Why wait?

The 3DS XL may have arrived in Europe and Japan merely weeks after it was announced, but it's got nothing on the new Matte Red and Matte Blue DSi systems hitting North America. Set to start hitting stores this week, the colours look remarkably similar to the 3DS XL equivalents, suggesting that Nintendo may have had a bulk discount and decided to make use of it: below is the Twitter announcement, released just yesterday.

Time for a color refresh! Check out Matte Red & Matte Blue Nintendo DSi coming to retailers as early as this week!

So there you have it, there's still some life in the old DSi yet. Nintendo of America may be targeting consumers looking for an inexpensive or replacement handheld, but it's still surprising to see new colours released for DSi — along with the costs of producing appropriate packaging and so on — well over a year after its successor's arrival.

[via twitter.com]

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

If you can make money, there's a will.

Looking at this now I kinda don't like that everything is one color...

BenAV

BenAV said:

I feel sorry for anyone foolish enough to purchase one of these rather than a 3DS/3DS XL.

ouroborous

ouroborous said:

wow i hope these are super-cheap, like $50 or something, it's crazy-outdated hardware and the "matte" colours look like total garbage

Ren

Ren said:

what!? these are awesome! Why isn't the 3ds xl in solid colors like this? the two tone thing with a black spine looks horrible, but these look cool and unified to me. Much prefer everything in Matte, too. Glossy just makes things look cheap and gimmicky, like a $20 dvd player or a.... ps3.

GBLUIGI

GBLUIGI said:

As much as I hate to be a negative voice about some Nintendo products. All I'm gonna say FLAT OUT STRAIGHT about this is: No one cares about the DSi no more. Why even worry about new colors of DSi when everyone knows perfectly well that the 3DS can do what the DSi can do, only better. If anything, and some ppl still own the DSi , I can only imagine that whey would be complaining about why the new colors are for DSi only and not DSi XL.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

I already have a:

DS Lite (Crimson Red)
Original DSi (Light Blue)
3DS (Aqua)

This is a waste of time on Nintendo's part to release this system in more different color's when the 3DS is already out. (- _ -)

Happy Gaming! (^ _ ^)

GBLUIGI

GBLUIGI said:

One last thing, I want to mention. I can understand if this was a DSi that was made to look like a Super Nintendo like the way how Nintendo put out the CLASSIC NES Game Boy Advance SP back in June 2004. Heck, even if it was made to look like the original GAME BOY from back in the day. Then, and only then, it would qualify to me as something to collect.

Nestalgic

Nestalgic said:

Waste of R&D money. And then we wonder why we pay as much as we do for games and systems. Bad move Nintendo.

Millenia

Millenia said:

Wow, you guys are so bratty and rude. There are more casual gamers out there that are not concerned with what is the latest hardware. I know there are also plenty of parents out there who may not have much of a budget and would like to get something nice for their children. The DSi still sells, I think it's great that they're adding more choices for those looking to purchase one.

MegaAdam

MegaAdam said:

The DSi is still a great budget option at an impulse price. There's a huge amazing library of DS games that look better on a DSi than on a 3DS. And apparently, Nintendo still is getting enough DSi sales to justify new colors.

k8sMum

k8sMum said:

@TheDreamingHawk

not all parents are idiots but neither are they all walking ATMs. the DSi is still an excellent system. there is an amazing library of games for it, with more coming even this late in it's life.

some kids are happy to get things even if they aren't the latest incarnation. it's called being grateful for what you get. of course, you may not understand the concept.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

I wonder what would happen if someone were to cut the extended corner off of a 3DS and try to put it in a DS?

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

Why in the world Nintendo continues to produce these, I'll never know. If they would let the DS die, the 3DS' popularity would probably increase more.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Thank you, @Millenia and @k8sMum, for still having that strange concept known as "reason," sometimes known as "sense." Also "tact." You have all these things, and I am grateful.

Ren

Ren said:

tons of people will buy this. I know at least 5 parents off hand that have kids under 10 that have or want a ds of any kind, and really don't care which one it is. There are a zillion great games for it and it's cheap. This is a no brainer and probably extremely cheap to produce by now. If you are a 16 year old gamer nerd you won't get this though. "Thats so 'last gen', why would they do that?! pass the soda and chips".
Nintendo is here to make money not push tech forward, contrary to fanboy opinion; if not the WiiU would have been ready a year ago. I love em' but be realistic.

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

@Ren I'm a 16 year old gamer nerd (a few days shy of turning 17 but besides the point), but yet I'm unoffended. Because what you said is absolutely true. I will say it is amazing that the DSi is still alive and very well though.

NintendoFTW1999

NintendoFTW1999 said:

@TheDreamingHawk Ya I was at Target and this guy was buying Nintendogs+ Cats and he asked the Target worker if it will work in the DSi and the Target guy says yes. I wanted to go over and tell the salesguy he was totally wrong and he shouldn't be selling 3DS games, but instead, I didn't. He will learn his lesson when the guy returns it. :)

NintendoFTW1999

NintendoFTW1999 said:

Alienfish

Alienfish said:

Now my brain hurts. I thought we were moving past DS and going straight for 3DS? I fear this is going to piss a lot of ignorant parents off.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

not everyone can afford a 200 dollar system. some parents don't have an endless amount of money. yes there are some stupid parents out there but I wouldn't say all as I am a parent and I know the difference between a DS game and a 3DS game. But I can't afford to buy a 3DS for my kids. My dad bought my son one for his birthday (he was always playing mine). I still have my DSi and am handing it down to my daughter so she can play Nintendogs DS.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

I remember when I couldn't see the wider picture. I remember being baffled by the refresh of the NES, for instance. I was young and lacked perspective. When you envelop yourself in a passion you forget that other people treat your passion as merely a pleasant distraction from their own passions.

The bigger and more important question to ask yourself is whether video games are worthy of passion. :) Oh, and who decided that these colors were a good idea!? :P

Henmii

Henmii said:

Nintendo, stop already!! We now have 3DS, DSi should be something from the past!!!

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Not that the DSi is even relevant anymore, they could've at least sponsored the DSi XL's. By now, casual or hardcore, I think everyone has gotten what they've needed from the DS family... It's all about the 3DS at this point as it will do all a DS can do and then some. If you want to keep pushing 3DS's Nintendo, then let the DS go already, it served it's purpose!

SyFyTy

SyFyTy said:

Nothing wrong with buying a new Dsi at this stage; I felt that the 3ds was released too soon anyway...I OWN a 3ds and a black DSi & XL + GB Micro, Coffee, and the other 2 black) and I just bought a white one (brand new ONly $65. USD.!! no trade ins at all) I had been waiting for white like forever.... the DSi STILL rocks hard in MY book. It'll take a while before the 3ds becomes BETTER than the DSi.

SyFyTy

SyFyTy said:

@Ren I just bought a new white one yesterday and I am excited to get it (only $65. USD period NEW. I feel they released the 3ds too soon anyway...(already own a 3ds an, dsi & XL.(all black-dark colors). Still a TON of great games to play on it. I've been scoopin' em up cheap for months now, all under a 5 spot.

SyFyTy

SyFyTy said:

@ymmas626
yes I'm sure they just randomly decided to do this with NO intel what-so-ever to tell them there is a need or market for it. That's why THEY"RE rich and you're... well whatever you are...

MakeMyBiscuit

MakeMyBiscuit said:

Does this mean Nintendo will FINALLY support the DSi (and DSi XL) with a firmware update to allow people to store and play their DSiWare games from the SD card???

Funky_Gamer

Funky_Gamer said:

If it wasn't for flipnote, this thing would've died off long ago. It's surprising how many people still use flipnote tbh. Speaking of flipnote, when is the 3DS version gonna come???

NassaDane

NassaDane said:

Dang those look nice. Finally a full Red DS in NA.

Also, only flipnote is keeping DSi alive? Ha, more like actual good games are keeping it alive. DS actually has Games on it unlike the 3DS that has no games.

The un-needed hate here is laughable. How in the world, if you don't care about a new DSi, does this effect you?

pepsilover2008

pepsilover2008 said:

Say what ya will, the ds is probably gonna sale a bit for the next few years it's cheap, the games are cheap and it's durable for kids, might as well give a few more choices.

SyFyTy

SyFyTy said:

If I didn't just buy the white one last week, I'd have gotten that Blood Red one.furthermore, NassaDane; I fully agree, the DSi still rocks and will for some time to go The sys has a buttload of great games to play.. I've got 3 (a black, a a white and a (OMFGTB) espresso XL and a (black) 3ds, and I use 'em all.

Parasky

Parasky said:

I have a thing for matte finish. I really do. Why it's released at the near end of the lifespan of the system is beyond me.

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

@NintendoFTW1999 You think THAT'S bad?

I was at Target once to get some 3DS eshop cards and I saw this family and their daughter looking for a DS to buy. Not a problem. Sales guy comes to help, Not a problem. They ask "Is the DS 3D the same as the DS, but with 3D?" Sales guy says "Yes."

I was confused, but ignored it. Then they pulled SM3DL and MK7 off from the shelves, and bought her a DSI. I told them that it wouldn't work and they need DS games in order for it to work, but she just said "Oh, well we don't care about 3D."

I told them: "It's not a DS, it's a 3DS". And they just shrugged and bought the games.

I have a good feeling that the parents will get a A+ in their wisdom skills, don't you? :)